z

Young Writers Society



The Words of Billy Joel

by Sassykat


The words of Billy Joel, "In every heart there is a room, a sanctuary safe and strong," to some people may seem to some like a spewed mouthful of cheese or perhaps scattered sprinkles. Not to me. They resonate in my soul, over and over again, repeating themselves in my own mind-voice every chance they get. Warped, perhaps, sometimes mocking, but the poetry is always there.

There is no joy in this lull of thought. No soft smiles, no sighs of contentment. Why should there be, when they bring me not even the faintest hint of peace? No, they make me want to hit something. It's all wrong. Your words are wrong, Bill. Hearts don't have rooms. Minds do. Padded cells with nice little white hug jackets and belts that never break. It's not a sanctuary, it's a prison, and we put ourselves into it.

My best friend is very sick in this prison, and nobody wanted to take care of him for a long, long time. Except me. But there's only so much one crazy person can do for another. Or any person, for that matter. That's the problem with your 'room,' Bill. Those effing walls make everything so difficult. As much sticky-sweet caring and loving that went on between us, there was no sharing of the rooms to keep each other company. That's dangerous, deadly even. He can't stand being in his room, or any room. Who says someone like me can change that? No, it's too risky, he might hurt me. Like he hasn't already.

When he met me, there were a few weeks of us squirming between the wires that separated us until our fingers caught. On each other's, on the sharp snags in the metal, or what-have-you. Once we got hold of each other, there commenced an epic asylum battle. Wrenching, twisting, straining, pulling, trying to escape our rooms together. After a while of trying without success, he figured that there was only one way to do that, and almost let go of me as he tried to skewer himself on a jagged rod. Only then did the doctors come.

They came and took him away from me, putting him in a new place. A hospital. A prison within the prison he's already got. Maybe he'll be safe there, maybe not, all there is to do now is hope.

Until there's more to know, there's plenty of time for me to figure out how to untangle myself from this web of iron. My arms, my stomach, and my face are all covered in pressure marks and lacerations from when my strength to fight back finally left me and he pulled me closer and closer to him so he could whisper seductively in my ear all the mediocre and second-best qualities he found in me, how he only turned to me for friendship because there was no one else in Hello-Kitty to turn to. Thanks a lot. He had this heart to break and boy did he do his darnedest.

Don't get me wrong, Mr. Joel. Your song is beautiful. All of your music is. It's just wrong sometimes and it makes me angry because someone might take you too seriously.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 170

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:42 am
deleted5 wrote a review...



Hey Sassykat! (XD Nice name!) Alex here to review your work for the majestic icicles!
I found this poem had both a humour element to it while also having a bit of sadness. The humour of it comes from opening; talking about this song. This makes the reader think, "Oh, this'll be a nice piece about the soul!" only for the narrator to say that the song is a load of bull in the next chapter. It made me smile a bit.
As the person below me said you painted a very nice picture! I could see the room down to the tiniest detail in my head! Very nice!
I couldn't find a lot wrong with this actually although I am confused about the gender of the narrator but I am guessing it is a guy.
So yeah! In conclusion, I really liked reading this! It's just... great!




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 1017
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:48 pm
Ell15 wrote a review...



I love the way you painted these pictures. This is one of those pieces that doesn't seem like a piece; it seems like a painting. I'm kind of shaken up by how good it was.

I only have a couple of comments: first, in the beginning, when you compare the song lyrics to "a spewed mouthful of cheese"--I really like that, and I think it's awesome imagery, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it means. :3 I'm wondering if you meant it to express the crazy side of the narrator, like where you say "there's only so much one crazy person can do for another". Does the craziness cause the narrator to see things differently? That line really made me think.

Another is in the third section where you say "No, it's too risky, he might hurt me." To me, that didn't really fit in with the rest of the piece. Earlier, it sounded like the narrator wanted to do what he could to help his/her best friend, but with "No, it's too risky, he might hurt me", it sounded like he was backing off for himself. Maybe it could be changed to "No, it's too risky, they say; he might hurt me." If that's what you mean, of course.(:

The only other thing is that there were a couple of places I thought you should replace commas with semicolons. :3 in the previously mentioned line, "No, it's too risky, he might hurt me", even if you choose not to change the phrasing, I think the comma after the word "risky" should be a semicolon. The other place was after the narrator's best friend was taken. "Maybe he'll be safe there, maybe not, all there is to do now is hope." I think the comma after "maybe not" should be replaced with a semicolon.

I really, really like this piece. Thank you so-o-o-o-o much for sharing it!(:

Ellis





I AM NOT GOING "FULL COW" ON SOMEBODYYYYYY
— whatchamacallit