z

Young Writers Society

Terminated Thread (Former DAOS Thread)

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Welcome to the Diamond Academy of Sorcery General OOC!
Links to Other OOCs and RPs

Note: This OOC is for non-Dorm OOCs only. Each Dorm has a dedicated OOC.

Rules, Notes, Expectations, and Guidelines:
Spoiler! :
1. It is no mandatory that you RP in every class. All RPers have the option to opt out of classes, including those made mandatory by the school or Dorms.
2. The mandatory minimum age for students is 13. There is no maximum age; some students go on to raise families at the school while still learning. The school does not require that students leave or stay, instead opting to allow students to learn at their own pace. There is no "graduation," perse, ony a point where some decide that they are done learning. The motto of DAOS is, after all, "When life stops teaching, you can stop learning."
3. I personally recommend that you use a brand new student to the school until you are settled in and have adapted to school life. For now, unnamed NPCs shall be used as older, more experienced students.
4. Homework will occasionally be issued in classes. This work is not mandatory and is meant to be used as a way to help inspire creativity and add depth to the RP. If you think that incentives might be necessary to assist you in a "homework assignment," I would be more than happy to oblige.
5. This RP is large and complex. I'm still not certain that this will not flood the RP/SB Section with unneeded, unwanted clutter and potentially mess with the notifications system. I again thank @Carina for helping me make some decisions so as to avert the destruction of YWS.
6. Occasionally, challenges, special events, and club meetings will take place around the school. This will be discussed in more detail later on.
7. I expect everyone to be civil. I believe this goes without saving, but I will say it here: characters are not RPers, and RPers are not characters. Just because a character is being absolutely awful to yours doesn't mean that you can be awful to the RPer in return. If this becomes an issue, it will be handled swiftly and appropriately.

Character Sheet
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
Name:
Race: (as in human, elf, etc)
Looks: (picture opt)
Equipment: (wand, staff, or talisman-- at least one of the three)
Pet(s): (Cat, small dog, small birds)
Dorm: (Can leave blank until chosen)
Backstory:
Other:

Character List
Spoiler! :
Astoria Holloway - Headmistress, Potionsmaster (Elements)
Helena Knight - History Professor, Deputy Headmistress (Guardian - Dorm Leader)
Filius Flite - Battle Magic and Weapons Professor (Ranger - Dorm Leader)
Henry Piermont - A Lord and Etiquette Professor (Diplomacy - Dorm Leader)
Amelia Grangier - A Grande Dame and Herbology Professor (Life and Death - Dorm Leader)
Alistair Thornwood - Government and Civics Professor (Diplomacy)
Imra Alrays - Magical Creatures Professor (Life and Death)
Alma Frost - Philosophy Professor (Ranger)
Artephius Nightshade - Fortune Telling Professor (Elements)
Victoria Wettin - Alchemy Professor (Elements)

Last edited by Riverlight on Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:18 pm
yosh says...

heyyy can i use amoku? :00000
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

311 Reviews

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:25 pm
Riverlight says...

InuYosha wrote:heyyy can i use amoku? :00000

I don't mind; due to lore reasons (which will be heavily elaborated in History Class), though, if Amoku was to remain a dragon, he would have to be a Fireheart (which will be covered in Magical Creatures Class). As an overview, Firehearts are sentient magical beings that has sacrificed an entire emotion to gain the ability to turn into a dragon. They will never feel that emotion again.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

311 Reviews

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:06 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

In 1815, the Great September Gale resulted in a portal opening up and allowing magic to flow into the world. Dozens of races and magical beings appeared in Providence, Rhode Island. Led by Reedstrom the Centaur, these sentient beings mingled first with Americans and then the world at large, facing simultaneous racism and curiosity. After they saved the lives of former presidents Adams and Jefferson on 4 July 1826, the magical beings were more openly accepted. The races include but are not limited to Light Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, magical humans, orcs, goblins, nymphs, vampires, Minotaurs, and Hybrids. (Centaurs and Minotaurs cannot produce Hybrid offspring.)

Thomas Jefferson was reelected president in 1824. In 1827, he assisted in the creation of three magic schools. The most famous was founded in upstate New York and given over 50 square acres of land to be used as school property. It is known as the Diamond Academy of Sorcery. Hiram Perkins was appointed the first Headmaster. He established many of the school’s traditions. Each Dorm has its own private history and traditions that can be read in their respective ICs.

Halloween, Christmas, and Easter are all celebrated at the Academy. Another popular event is Memory Week, where students make use of their skills as magic users and creators to depict seven memories from their past that are important to them. Though it is an optional event, many students participate because it is typically viewed as a good way to get to know others and make new friends.

Over the years, the school has grown, adding more students to its ranks. The current Headmistress is Astoria Holloway.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:26 pm
yosh says...

TheScribe wrote:
InuYosha wrote:heyyy can i use amoku? :00000

I don't mind; due to lore reasons (which will be heavily elaborated in History Class), though, if Amoku was to remain a dragon, he would have to be a Fireheart (which will be covered in Magical Creatures Class). As an overview, Firehearts are sentient magical beings that has sacrificed an entire emotion to gain the ability to turn into a dragon. They will never feel that emotion again.

well amoku isn't exactly a dragon tho

he just used to be.
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

311 Reviews

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:57 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Name: Astoria Holloway
Spoiler! :
Race: Hybrid-- half human, half Light Elf
Looks: Tall, thin woman dark chocolate brown hair and amber eyes. Curved elongated ears that end in a rounded point. Typically dressed in black robes.
Equipment: Pewter Talisman, sometimes a cane.
Pet(s): Nimue (Cat)
Dorm: Elements
Backstory: Born in 1934, the Headmistress is a prime example of what can happen should a student choose to never stop learning. Upon arriving at Diamond Academy in 1948, Holloway quickly became a magical prodigy. She was seen as one of the brightest magic users of her generation and created several new spells and potions before she chose to become a Professor in 1959. Holloway was named as the Dorm Leader of Dorm Elements in 1975, Deputy Headmistress in 1982, and then became Headmistress of the school in 1983. She is widely respected and, though she is a member of Dorm Elements, she is considered one of the most open-minded and wisest magic-users in the world.
Other: Headmistress, Potions Professor, Elements Dorm Leader

Name: Helena Knight
Spoiler! :
Race: Human
Looks: Image Created by @LadyMysterio
Equipment: Staff, wand
Pet(s): N/A
Dorm: Guardian
Backstory: Born in 1946, Helena Knight is considered to be the foremost historian in the world. In her possession are dozens, if not hundreds, of magical artifacts that she has collected over the years. An adventurer in her youth, Professor Knight has mellowed with age, becoming a disciplinarian but beloved teacher at DAOS. She became the History Professor in 2000, and then Dorm Leader in 2012.
Other: Widower

Name: Lord Henry Piermont III
Spoiler! :
Race: 3/8 Light Elf, 3/8 Dark Elf, 1/8 Human, 1/8 Vampire
Looks: Image
Equipment: Wand
Pet(s): Several kestrels
Dorm: Diplomacy
Backstory: Born in 1957, Lord Piermont is very private and secretive regarding his past. It can be confirmed that he was an advanced student early on, possibly due to private lessons before schooling. Those that gain his ire are not known to have last very long before they surrender to him. He is also known as the Lord of Wessex
Other:

Name: Filius Flite
Spoiler! :
Race: Dwarf
Equipment: Wand, sword, other weapons
Pet(s): Small wolf named Foehammer
Dorm: Ranger
Backstory: Having lived since 1813 and attained a very great age (even for a Dwarf), Professor Filius Flite is remarkably fit in both mind and body. Having founded and led his Dorm from the very beginning, he has always served as a Defense expert, learning and teaching all that come to his classes the art of the duel. He believes in both rules and a lack of rules, resulting in the off-and-on introduction to what he calls "armies" and their occasional creations. He is considered one of the greatest living tacticians and though his methods are at times questioned, he typically turns out to be correct.Other: Unmarried

Name: Amelia Grangier
Spoiler! :
Race: Hybird (Human, Light Elf)
Equipment: Staff
Pet(s): Keeps finches in her greenhouses
Dorm: L&D
Backstory: Having been named a noble since birth, Grangier had loved healing and plants since birth. She immediately chose Dorm L&D as her true home, studying as a student until 1942, when she entered politics and became very influential. She retired from government in 1965 and accepted a post as Herbology Professor at Diamond Academy; several months later, following the death of Penelope Cuthbert, Grangier became Dorm Leader.
Other: Unmarried

Spoiler! :
Name: Alistair Thornwood
Race: Hybrid-- Dark Elf, Light Elf
Looks: [img]https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/f/fb/Cirdan_by_moumou38.jpg/[/img[
Equipment: Talisman (purple amethyst set into a silver amulet)
Pet: Wampus cat named Peaches
Dorm: Diplomacy
Backstory: Having been a politician long before his arrival in America, Professor Thornwood has taught Government and Civics since Diamond Academy's inception, dedicating himself to studying American government and comprehending the issues that lie within it. His brother, Abaxius, taught at his side for many years until the Great War of 1903-1909 took him away. Now the last of his line, Thornwood remains a dedicated teacher and student alike, optimising to pass on all that he has to teach before he dies. Part of him is desperate to find his perfect replacement and share much of the Old World with them before he chooses to retire and pass on into the next life.

Spoiler! :
Name: Imra Alrays
Race: Dark Elf
Looks: Tall, pale she-elf with bicolor hair-- one half is black, other is blood red. Green eyes.
Dorm: L&D
Backstory: Imra Alrays (Professor Imra to her students) founded Lae`analén not long after moving into Canada following the events of 1815. She built for herself and her family a noble hall and placed her protection over the surrounding lands until President Jefferson and Headmaster Hiram Perkins requested her to begin teaching the Magical Creatures class at Diamond Academy in 1847. She agreed, remaining a teacher until the Great War of 1903-1909 broke out, instead opting to serve as a hardened soldier. She was immediately promoted to general due to her magical abilities and fighting experience left over from the Old World's wars. She temporarily served as Secretary of War and then as Secretary of Magical Affairs until she returned home to Lae`analén. Dissatisfied with returning to the "old ways," she requested to return to teaching and was approved by then-Headmistress Penelope Cuthbert in 1959.

Name: Alma Frost
Spoiler! :
Looks: https://carboncostume.com/wordpress/wp- ... awley2.jpg
Equipment: Wand, cane
Pet: Several cats
Dorm: Ranger
Backstory: A student of Dorm Ranger at age 13, Ms. Frost took a keen interest in Professor Gerald Morgan's Philosophy classes. In 1971, she took over his class following his retirement, becoming the third Philosophy Professor at DAOS. She is expected to retire in the next few years due to health concerns.

Name: Artephius Nightshade (codenamed Argus)
Spoiler! :
Race: WereCat
Looks: https://s36537.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploa ... ptimal.jpg
Equipment: Unknown what he uses
Backstory: His story is shrouded in mystery. It is known that he attended classes for many years before he disappeared for many more. Now, he has become the "mysterious wise old wizard" to many students and is known for creating what one might call "heroes." He is currently the Divination Professor.

Name: Victoria Wettin
Spoiler! :
Looks: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/fd/9a ... ac369b.jpg
Pet: Dark ginger pine marten named Peter
Backstory: The current Alchemy Professor, Wettin is known for having discovered additional uses of unicorn's blood, defeating Nicolas and Perenelle Flamel after they went mad, and creating a new Philosopher's Stone to obtain eternal life in 1946. Over the next several years, she became a writer, reporter, and editor of a major newspaper called "The Daily Seer" and expanded on this by adding "The Evening" and "Weekend" Seers to her business empire. She has since adopted a teaching position as Diamond Academy.
Last edited by Riverlight on Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 112
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 pm
View Likes
SpunkyMonkey says...

Can I reuse Sosie?
<3 i lub you wonderful hooman <3

311 Reviews

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 pm
Riverlight says...

@SpunkyKitty Yes!

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:26 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

I'd like to reuse Jen too, if that's alright! ^^
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

311 Reviews

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:34 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Spearmint wrote:I'd like to reuse Jen too, if that's alright! ^^

Fine by me! ^-^

311 Reviews

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:59 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

I'm looking to start this RP on Monday afternoon (school starts that morning for me ^-^) so it'd be great if y'all could post your characters here before then!

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm
ChesTacos says...

Can I reuse Tibby?
*boop*

311 Reviews

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:59 pm
Riverlight says...

ChesTacos wrote:Can I reuse Tibby?

Yep!!

311 Reviews

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Riverlight says...

All of the professor CS's have been completed, so feel free to look those over whenever! ^-^

Random avatar

Reviews: 112
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:40 pm
SpunkyMonkey says...

Does my character have to have a pet? and can the characters have powers?
<3 i lub you wonderful hooman <3

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
— Mark Twain