z

Young Writers Society

the nine lives of allen grey [r]

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:52 am
smaur says...

the nine lives of allen grey

The ninth is a suicide. Again. Jumped off a roof and plummeted to his death.

No relatives, no friends, nothing. They cremate his body and send the ashes to a landfill on Jupiter.

There's no such thing as second chances for suicides.

Allen dies at seven-thirty in the morning. They bring him back at twelve, noon. He can't remember a thing — violent deaths rarely do. Scrunching himself up in a corner of the room, he watches them mop his blood off of the hardwood floor. He refuses to talk to the paramedics. At last, they move on; he's only one man and there are, after all, twelve hours still left in the day.

A doctor stays behind.

"Your name is Allen Grey," she tells him, kneeling.

"I didn't forget everything," he snaps.

"You were murdered." Her tone is gentle, as if he is a child or a frightened animal.

He gives her a wry smile. "You suspect."

The doctor blinks. "It wasn't suicide." But there's a note of uncertainty in her voice.

Allen shrugs.

"Was it?" she asks.

He hesitates. "I don't know."

"Allen." She consults her clipboard. "You've had a long history of deaths. One suicide. You know as well as I do, there are no second chances."

What is this? he wants to ask. Instead, he says: "I know who did it."

"So it was a murder."

It's as if she didn't say anything. "I don't want to press charges. I don't want it investigated further."

She cocks an eyebrow. "Who was it?"

"My wife." He stares at his hands. The paramedics told him he had fractured his wrist — before they fixed it, of course. There are no such things as broken bones, anymore. No such things as bloody hands. "My ex-wife."

His body is fixed, and so is his conscience. This is the way of the world.

It isn't a new life, but it feels like one. His name is Peter Grayson. Allen Grey is dead. He purchases an apartment with Liz on the edge of the city, a tiny cramped place with peeling linoleum and cockroaches. In the simmering heat of the summer, they haul in tattered furniture and make plans for the future. Liz, burning with energy, is so alive — he wishes he knew how, as if there is a secret to the way she talks and laughs and moves. As if there is an answer to the way he has lived his life (his lives) thus far.

Liz is his second chance. When he tells her this, she laughs and brushes it away. She doesn't understand until later, and she never thinks to ask; she has answers, not questions. He can never quite explain how they connect, or where, but they do. One of the few miracles of his life.

She loves clocks. Again, an enigma. But he scavenges the city to find them for her: a pocket watch like a disc of gold, a sundial with enamelled numbers, a digital relic from centuries past. He wraps them in pink tissue and hides them around the apartment. A treasure hunt for time. Only she would like that.

One day, he comes home with a tiny wind-up clock the size of his thumb. Liz sits at the table, cradling the phone receiver in her hands. There is something on her face he has never seen before. He doesn't know if it is anger or sorrow, even hate. This once, she is inscrutable.

"I talked to Emma." Her voice is flat.

"Oh." He sits down.

She stares across the table at him. "So you're married."

"Getting divorced."

"She's pregnant," Liz snaps.

"Yes." He is surprised, a little impressed, at how calm his voice is. Measured, like the notes of a pendulum in one of her clocks.

She lowers the phone and doesn't say anything. Somehow, this is worse than words.

"I brought you something," he begins.

She stands up. The chair scrapes against the floor. "Fuck off."

He falls silent.

Liz leaves an hour later. She never comes back; he doesn't expect her to. He wishes she would've insulted him, or hated him, or at least asked him why. But she didn't. She never asks questions.

Allen smashes the wind-up clock. He never had any use for time.

The sixth death is a heart attack. They resurrect him, gasping and sobbing, in the ambulance. Emma stays at his side through the forty-eight hours in the hospital. With a loyalty that he admires and hates, she sets up camp on the empty bed beside him. He doesn't speak to her, only stares at the heart monitor strapped to his wrist and waits for her to leave. The hospital is abuzz with people. Healthy people. Cast adrift in this vast ocean of life, he feels only resentment.

On the second day, Emma tells him she's pregnant. He thinks of the affair he is having with Liz Hamilton and imagines moving out with her, changing his name, running away from this life and this woman.

He has, after all, nothing but second chances.

An eighty-ton tractor trailer plows towards his car.

Allen twists the steering wheel — tires squeal — a sickening crunch, and the world is eerily silent. He lies in the driver's seat, blood ebbing out of him, his ears ringing and his head throbbing, waiting for the distant wail of sirens.

His car is crushed under the weight of a tree. Later, when the paramedics wheel him out on a gurney, he catches glimpse of the fractured glass and splintered wood. A world he can't reach. He wonders which one is more broken, the tree or the car, and realizes it doesn't matter. They'll never come back. Some things in this world are finite, after all.

Allen finds this reassuring.

His fourth death — suicide. Emma is distraught.

"I didn't know you were suicidal," she sobs.

Allen touches her hand. "Hey. It's not your fault."

She wants to know why. Why he killed himself, why they never go anywhere, why he doesn't ever meet anyone anymore. All she ever wanted was a straight answer. He can't explain; he never could. He's changed even more, over the years of their marriage, cloistering himself within the confines of their house and shutting her out of his life. For months, he's been distant, detached.

But Emma still cares. Her presence is comforting, even though he only has to stay in the hospital for a week this time. She visits him regularly, talks to him.

"You'll never be alone," she promises.

He doesn't tell her that this is the worst thing she could say. He doesn't want to break her heart.

College is a life of deaths. Allen stops counting after the third. His parents never find out, but it doesn't matter. Seat-belts and helmets are remnants of an old era; he casts them aside. Immortality has no need for restraint.

Once, a concerned doctor takes him aside to tell him that life is a beautiful fragile thing.

"Take care of yours," he says.

A week later, Allen has forgotten him.

There is a boating accident and he drowns. Struggling to break the surface of the water, his lungs burning, vision blurred, limbs like stones sinking in the ocean, he finds in himself a desperation. He wants to live.

Later, he feels as if he has triumphed over some unknowable trial, as if he has proved to himself and the world that there is something inside him, something alive. Somewhere.

He swears he will never die again.

When he is seven years old, Allen falls off of the roof and smashes his skull. He is dead for twelve hours. He wakes up on a hospital bed, impassive doctors prodding at him, murmuring to each other in low undertones. Tubes snake away from his body in translucent coils. His tongue is thick with fuzz, and when he tries to speak, his vocal cords strain with the effort.

"You're one lucky kid," the nurse tells him when she brings him breakfast in the morning.

You're one lucky kid. That's what everyone tells him in the coming weeks. Resurrection is a novelty, and he's one of the first to come back. He is the harbinger of a new age. He is a harbinger of life.

A month after he comes home, Allen climbs on the roof again. He picks his way across the shingles, a warm wind ruffling the stubbled growth of new hair on his head. The surgery scar is already fading. It's summer, and he has his whole life ahead of him.

Not everyone gets a second chance.

It's a wonderful world.
Last edited by smaur on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:14 am
bubblewrapped says...

Wow. I dont have time to give a full crit right now, but I just wanted to say this gave me the shivers. Powerful stuff :) I loved it.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:08 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha, I read this!

Okay. I don't know where Red Riding Hood comes up, but I do like the randomness of it all. Don't ask. It's a little vague in parts, maybe too vague. Like, one thing that drove me crazy was how the numbers didn't really correspond with the deaths and it seemed like it was in a really random order. Was that intentional?

In any case, I liked the way it was presented. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:13 pm
Fand says...

Actually, Snoink, it seemed to me like it was told in reverse order... from Allen's last death to his first. Is that right, smaur?

In any event, I really liked this; can't even think of anything to crit. The concept itself is really fascinating, and you pull it off brilliantly. Congrats on a piece well done--and best of luck when it comes time to be graded!
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:42 pm
Swires says...

Present tense. Yuck.

Possibley personal opinion but I dont like it at all - and I have a feeling editors dont like it either because of the sheer lack of present tense on shelves (although there are technicalities and other explainations for this which Im sure members will be willing to shout at me lol).

Its just the style of present, it just doesnt fit in my opinion and I find it a real slog to read.

Sorry - its probably not really the feedback you wanted but its just another readers opinion on tenses etc...
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

131 Reviews

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:10 pm
smaur says...

bubblewrapped >> Yay, you liked it! :)

Snoink >> Heh, this isn't the Red Riding Hood story. That one lies on my hard drive awaiting a major editorial overhaul, or at least slight tweaking. I might post it, but probably AFTER I fill some of my critiquing quota [s]which may possibly be never[/s].

Snoink wrote: It's a little vague in parts, maybe too vague. Like, one thing that drove me crazy was how the numbers didn't really correspond with the deaths and it seemed like it was in a really random order. Was that intentional?

Hmm. Do you mean that the fact that he didn't actually have nine physical deaths/lives, or that the numbers didn't count down (9, 8, 7 instead of 1, 2, 3)? Or something else entirely? In the case of the first two, both were intentional — I didn't want to count down because I felt like I would be bludgeoning the whole reverse-order thing into the readers' heads. The nine lives: he does have nine lives/deaths, just not nine physical ones. Does that make sense?

Fand >> Yep, it's reverse chronological order. I'm glad you got that — I was slightly worried it wouldn't make sense to anyone. Thank you for the lovely words. :)

Phorcys >> Heheh. I've read lots and lots and LOTS of short stories (especially in the realm of fantasy/sci-fi) written in present tense, and a couple of novels, but I appreciate the thoughts. Is there anything else you really didn't like about the story? There's always room for improvement, after all.

Thanks for the feedback, all of you!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:57 pm
blackwings_angel says...

I liked this. I found well scanning through pieces, so if your piece has already been graded let us know. I did notice you seemed to go in reverse. Even though you went in reverse, you numbered them 1,2,3... instead of 9,8,7.... it kind of confused me but i understood about halfway through. you should write more stuff like this.
Glory is like a circle in the water, Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught. -William Shakespeare

join my Storybook, now would be a great time for a new character to come in. :wink:

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:23 am
gyrfalcon says...

Wow. Brain all twisted in strange knots. Good stuff, confusing, but good. hehe, I must admit, when I first read the title, I thought it was "nine lives of ALIEN grey". Maybe you could capitalize the first letters of the words?

Really great though, rock on smaur!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:51 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Okay, this really isn't a critique of any sort, cause my brain is in all places at once. I just got back from seeing Children of Men, and this story really meshed well with my inner dark and twisty.

I really liked how it was in reverse order, the numbering that is.

My favorite-favorite was 3.

I love the beginning of 6.

:D

CL.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

131 Reviews

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:19 pm
smaur says...

blackwings_angel wrote:I liked this. I found well scanning through pieces, so if your piece has already been graded let us know. I did notice you seemed to go in reverse. Even though you went in reverse, you numbered them 1,2,3... instead of 9,8,7.... it kind of confused me but i understood about halfway through. you should write more stuff like this.

Thank you! And yes, the numbers are opposite to the actual deaths; I did this purposely so that the readers would have to figure it out on their own. I'm glad you did. :)

gyrfalcon wrote:Wow. Brain all twisted in strange knots. Good stuff, confusing, but good. hehe, I must admit, when I first read the title, I thought it was "nine lives of ALIEN grey". Maybe you could capitalize the first letters of the words?

Hehh. I have a weird thing about capitals in titles — I hate them. They just look ugly, or is that me being crazy again?

Anyway, they make me twitch so I never put them in. I suspect I will probably have to capitalize it when submitting, but I'll put it off as long as possible. [s]Unless I can harass my teacher into letting it go ...[/s]

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Okay, this really isn't a critique of any sort, cause my brain is in all places at once. I just got back from seeing Children of Men, and this story really meshed well with my inner dark and twisty.

I really liked how it was in reverse order, the numbering that is.

My favorite-favorite was 3.

I love the beginning of 6.

Yay!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:43 pm
Snoink says...

Well... I think I overanalyzed it and said, "Wait... what if it wasn't the backwards order and skipped and jumped all over the place?"

...don't ask. I'm crazy like that. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

131 Reviews

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:09 am
smaur says...

Heheh, okay.

Also: I've majorly revamped some of the phrasing in the story (not really "majorly revamped," but it feels like that at five o'clock in the morning). Also bumped up the rating for the F-word in accordance to the YWS rules.

Er. And it's been handed in. So, um. We'll see how that goes.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:07 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Good luck with it!

I really liked this piece. You use the present tense well, and it does fit the story. The way you've arranged the events, going from the last to the first, is original and engaging.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:54 pm
Swires says...

Ok, wipe my comment from the face of the earth earlier.

I read this fully and got into the present tense. I love the concept of this, the revival from death. its just superb in idea and the present tense works well with it.

A super piece. well done.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:43 pm
Leonheart says...

damn confusing....

but damn good...

the concept is superb, and it really makes you think. i worked out on 1 you were doing it in reverse, and it took me a while to figure myself through the non-physical deaths. i thought on 3 "he didn't die..." but i understood when you did another one.

it was a great piece, present tense used excellently, and a great idea. good work

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna