And much more besides.
To name them all,
Would not be wise.

But when it comes down to it,
At the core,
Writing is magic.
Nothing less, nothing more.

Spoiler! :
Odd stanza structure, I know. But I can't really find a way to fix it without making everything squewiff. Oh, well.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 pm
catslikebooks2 says...

THIS POEM IS FANTASTIC!!! I like the kind of uplifting, slightly comical, rhyme scheme and tone this poem has! I also like the message it has. I couldn't have put it in better words myself! The part I love most is the ending!
Skorpionne wrote:But when it comes down to it,
At the core,
Writing is magic.

That's exactly what writing is! MAGIC! keep on writing word wizard! :D
"You know how writers are... they create themselves as they create their work. Or perhaps they create their work in order to create themselves."-Orson Scott Card
Cats are awesome! So are books!so obviously; catslikebooks2!

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 pm
dogs says...

Hey Skorpionne! Dogs here with your review today! I really like the idea and abstraction of this piece. Personally I like the style of structure that you have done for this piece of poetry. It is in, in fact, my fourth favorite structure style. Now this poem is very descriptive and philosophically based. A philosophical poem is one in which you write about a poem that challenges other peoples ideals or tries to define the undefinable as you have attempted to do in this poem.

So this is definitely more descriptive based then philosophical, which is good but I encourage you to throw in at least a bit of imagery writing in there. For example, describe the magic in writing. What exact aspect about writing is magical? Answer that with an image I suggest. Talk about maybe how your thoughts stain the page in ink, bleeding black blood... (hahahah an adorable alliteration i just did there :D) Something like that. Just to spice it up.

On the bright side you use a lot of really good words here like seldom for example. My favorite line is definitely:

"Seldom seen?"

That line just flows very well. Well anyway thats all I really have to say. Keep up the good work!!!!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:46 pm
Misfit says...

Hello there, I'm Misfit and I'll be reviewing this piece today. Before I get into the nitpicks I would like to say that I really enjoyed your poem. Sure, it was short, but it had a good effect.

Writing, writing,
What does it mean?
Is it a talent?
Seldom seen?
Or is it a job?
To be methodically done?
Perhaps an art form,
We cannot shun.

Good first stanza here, I like the rhythm and rhyming.

It’s all of these things,
And much more besides.This line sounds a little awkward.
To name them all,
Would not be wise.

But when it comes down to it,
At the core,
Writing is magic.

You may want to add more to this. You've barley scraped the surface on the topic of writing. There is so much left to say, and I guess that's my main nitpick: I want it to be longer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice poem. And there was truth in it as well, writing is magic, don't you forget it. No matter how much sometimes, you may hate writing, it will pass. Forever may you write.

~ Misfit ~
“Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:08 am
mithrim96 says...

I agree wholeheartedly with the last lines:
Writing is magic.

Writing is a magical art and your poem really displays this with your great writing, I think. I must say though that this line slightly contradicts another line though.
It’s all of these things,
And much more besides.
To name them all,
Would not be wise.

You say the first bit "nothing less, nothing more" even though before you say "all these things, and much more besides." This is the only thing that I see ever so slightly wrong with this poem but it is beautiful and true and I love it. Congratulations!
Keep writing for as long as it brings you joy!

"It's important we build up a level of trust. That way I'll catch you completely unprepared when I suddenly accuse you of murder." - Skulduggery Pleasant (read it!), Death Bringer, Derek Landy

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:17 pm
ChocoCookie says...

Hi Skorpionne! :D

Good poem, you've got here. It was funny too. ^.^ I very much loved the idea and the style of writing it. ;)

Now on to the nitpicks.

Skorpionne wrote:Writing, writing,
what does it mean?
Is it a talent?
Seldom seen?
Or is it a job?
To be methodically done?
Perhaps an art form,
we cannot shun.

Yes, you were correct. This stanza went out of the limit. Lol xD But it's okay. There are other poems which will have the correct number of lines, right? 8P

Skorpionne wrote:It’s all of these things,
and much more besides.
To name them all,
would not be wise.

I loved the last two lines. Very realistic. :)

Skorpionne wrote:But when it comes down to it,
at the core,
writing is magic.
-These two lines are too short.

Well done, anyway! ^.^
There's only one thing you have to remember., You, me and a lot of other people make this mistake. We begin every line with a capital letter. Why? I have no clue. I guess it makes it look better? But, yeah, back to the point. My friend told me that you don't need to begin every line of a poem with a capital letter. If your previous line ends with a full stop, it's okay. But if the previous line ends with a comma, you really don't need to begin the next one with a capital letter.

Overall: Good work! Waiting to see more your work! ^.^ I'll give this a 9/10. ;)

Keep Writing! :D

Cookie <3'
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:21 pm
SanaIrfan says...

Hmm...Good one...:)
This is
Sana Irfan :)
Cheers... :D

He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind