A Fall

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:35 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

There are unwanted times
when I stand behind the railings,
looking down at the pulse threatening fall.
A confused wish flutters through my weak mind,
a dark desire for the railings to give way.
But before I could wish for more,
I’m plunged down deep recklessly.
Yet as my nature gives it
my heart and hands grope frantically,
To hold on to something,
To keep the end at bay.

Just as I am fighting universe mid air,
the dreams I have come flooding over me.
A sudden hope surfaces,
a hope that the intensity of my ambitions
will keep me from crashing to my death.
But thoughts are for passing moments,
as earth envelopes my essence.
Life ebbs and fades away,
as the blood gushes to my brain.
My breaths silenced,
I'm silenced.
My dreams unfulfilled
an inevitable stop.

I am standing at the top of a building and
I have a confused desire.
But I step back and wish
for the railings to not give way.
For I know with the fall to my death,
My dreams fall to their end too.
Last edited by manisha on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 pm
BrokenSkye says...

First I would like to say that this poem was amazing. But the beginning confused me a little. I wasn't completely understanding where she was falling FROM. In the last stanza it says that she was thinking about jumping from the top of some high up building but in the first it says
There are unwanted times
When I stand behind the railings,
Looking down at the pulse threatening depth. Depth normally reminds me of the ocean.
A dark desire for the railings to give away.
My heart and hands grope frantically,
To hold on to something to,
To keep the end at bay. Along with this. Bay makes me think of the ocean's boardwalk.
But than in your last stanza you say
So do you see where my thoughts got a little confused?
Spoiler! :
[user][user][/user][/user]
If you love something let it go, if it comes back, it's your's.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 am
thersites says...

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. The imagery was brilliant, and definitely made the reality tangible. The story line itself made the piece feel like an actuality when it turned out to be a convoluted daydream, and that I love. The experimentation with blurring the line between reality and a daydream worked well, and how you sharpened it at the end was riveting.

On a technical note, I would go back through and read the poem out loud. I think you might hear a few mistakes or typos or what have you. Also I would experiment with break positioning. I learned recently to stop caring about how the poem looks as a shape on the page, and to start focusing on what each point or line is emphasizing. I also recently learned about not capitalizing the first letter of every line can help the piece flow visually and can help with the enjambment of lines without having to use too much punctuation. Uncapitalizing can help get rid of commas especially. Keep up the good work, and if you have time I would be honored if you would give my portfolio a gander.

Thers.
Let's run in some circles, mate.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:19 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey, Manisha!

Okay, here to review. :3
There are unwanted times
looking down at the pulse threatening depth.I think you could find a better way to describe the depth rather than 'pulse threatening' which kind of doesn't make sense to me when I look at it from a certain angle.
Not quite sure how a wish can be confused, you either wish it or not but and idea can be misleading or a brief thought.

a dark desire for the railings to give away.
To hold on to something too,
To keep the end at bay.

As the first stanza, I can clearly understand where you're going with this. Well, at least I think. Normally, I'm not much of poetry kinda gal so there are a few times where poetry might get me confused with it's creative words and stretched synonyms. I'm guessing that this is suicide, no? Wanting to fall and end things but due to the nature of humans, we are programed to fight and live, to want to live and survive. Then again, that's what all living things do. No one ever really wants to die, lol. Anyway, it's pretty good so far.
Just as I am fighting theuniverse mid air,
the dreams I had? come flooding on (to?) me.
A sudden hope surfaces,
a hope that the intensity of my ambitions I like this line...
as earth elopes with? my essence.
My breaths breathing? silenced,
I silenced.
My dreams unfulfilled
an inevitable stop.

I noticed a bit of typos with this stanza. Maybe you should try to work with the fluidity of this overall by reading out loud or seeing weather or not certain words or phrases 'sound' good together. Sometimes, just listening to the flow of the sentence can help track weather it's written correctly or not - something I've learned while studying different languages. ^^ When I speak in another tongue and what I say comes out awkwardly, then I'm sure I've said that wrong, no matter how much time I spent into constructing my sentence in my head before saying it. It's difficult. ;___;

Anyway, fluidity and grammar might be something you'll need to work on a bit so keep it as a note for the future. ^^
But I step back and wish
for the railings to not give away.

Okay, I like this ending and honestly, as soon as I finished the first stanza, I realized what was going to happen in the end. This poem was predictable but it wasn't all that bad either. ^^ Overall, the message to it was given quite clearly.

A few things you might want to work on is what I've already mentioned with typos, fluidity and your imagery is very good but I did feel like there was something missing to the piece, I think it needs a little extra something to give it that initial 'umph' but I can't pin-point the exact reason behind this. Oh, well, it could just be me, lol. Anyway, I did enjoy reading this poem. Thank you for the request!

Let me know if you need anything else!

All the best,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm
Pigeon says...

This is wonderful! I really enjoyed it. Your imagery is fluid and beautiful and your ideas are clearly expressed so my critiques are mostly grammar related.

There are unwanted times
looking down at the pulse threatening depth. I think someone else already pointed out that 'pulse threatening' doesn't really make sense. Also, as another reviewer said, 'depth' really does connote the sea. Could this line change to something like "looking down from the pulse-stopping height"?
a dark desire for the railings to give away. This should be "give way" not "give away".
Yet as my nature gives it I think this should be "gives in".
To hold on to something to, I'm not sure why that extra "to" is there. Maybe get rid of it.
To keep the end at bay.

Just as I am fighting universe mid air,
the dreams I have come flooding on me. "over me" works better than "on me".
A sudden hope surfaces,
a hope that the intensity of my ambitions
as earth elopes my essence. I'm not sure that you mean "elopes". I think you mean "envelops".
My breaths silenced,
I silenced. This doesn't really make sense. Maybe "I'm silenced."?
My dreams unfulfilled
an inevitable stop.

But I step back and wish
for the railings to not give away. give way

I agree with thersites that you should play around with your line breaks a bit and see if you can get it flowing better, but don't worry too much - it's great as is anyway.

Something you do really well is build an image of the ocean;
threatening depth
plunged down deep
the dreams I have come flooding
hope surfaces

These images are wonderful, but my advice would be to limit the ocean imagery to the dream-like parts of your poem. i.e. from "But before I could wish for more,
I’m plunged down deep recklessly." to "an inevitable stop."
This will make a clear distinction between reality and metaphor. Water imagery is also really wonderful for such a trance-like poem, as it flows and wavers like a dream does.

I hope you find this helpful!
I really loved this! Keep writing!

- pigeon
Reader, what are you doing?

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy