z

Young Writers Society

In Between Sheets

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 am
espeon says...

A short thud filled across the radiated room. It was warm; stuffy to a point where I was conscious of the discomfort of it all. I needed a crane to haul my eyelids open. I looked over the foot of the bed, towards the fogged over window, the only window. I had always fantasized about mist as clouds coming down from the heavens, and had always found days like these magical in a pretty pathetic way. Perhaps a bird had just peeked in to my homely retreat, in search of an adventure filled with gnomes and all of it’s speaking bird friends? Or maybe it just crashed into the glass due to the morning’s poor visibility, receiving fatal concussion and lay dead in my flower trough. My head snapped back into personal Nirvana. Quick thoughts of indecision raced through my mind; was it the cold kind of fog or was it tropical condensation? Oh what the hell, I lived in Florida. My hopes of snow were nearly as bad as the fact that there was probably a rotting corpse flattening my peonies. But then i thought, maybe dead flesh was fertilizer? Heck with it all. My alarm read 5:10. That bird should burn in hell.
Last edited by espeon on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:48 pm
Cailey says...

That really was a short story. Yet, in that one paragraph you succesfully described the character's personality and attitude, you gave the setting and you even added some extra details. So, good job. Although, was the bird the one who had created the thud? Also, you switched between past and present tense. Racing, live, think, and hope were all present tense, but all the other verbs were past tense. So, you should fix that. Well, that's all my commenting. :) Good job, I liked it.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

14 Reviews

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 am
espeon says...

Woah, you are absoulutely right! I wasn't focusing on my narrative, the character's latest and most present thoughts made themselves comfortable and gradually began changing in tense. Hmph.
Not all jumbled up either, just sneakin' in to the last three lines.

Thanks for pointing that out!
E

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:12 pm
EscapeThat says...

I like little snatches of stories like this. It's a little window into someones world that does need any further elaboration and doesn't leave the question "What happened next?" in the air. A great anecdonte, shows that if you're creative enough you only need a few lines be evocative.

14 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:30 pm
espeon says...

Thank you EscapeThat, i'm glad at least someone's understood my reasons behind this piece. That was the exact impression I initially meant to put across. No further thought; yet being able to exist independently despite it's unorthodox lenght.

Simply a peek into someone's homely retreat.

Respectfully yours,
Espeon.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:24 am
Ghost42 says...

It was pretty dang good. You did discribe the setting, the character, the feel of the room. Great job! I can't wait to read the rest.
If there is one thing I never go anywhere without, it's my pencil.
Another thing, if schools don't allow wepons, then why do they allow pens? Because, if the pen is mighter than the sword, doesn't that mean the pen is a wepon too?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 pm
LittlePrincess says...

Hey there! Little Princess here for a review!
A short thud filled across filled across doesn't really make sense. You could say spread across or just simply filled and you will be all setthe radiated I'm not really sure what a radiated room is, perhaps you mean radiant?room. It was warm; stuffy to a point where I was conscious of the discomfort of it all. I needed a crane to haul my eyelids open. I looked over the foot of the bed, towards the fogged over window, the only window. I had always fantasized about mist as clouds coming down from the heavens, and had always found days like these magical in a pretty pathetic way This is interesting, that the MC refers to himself as pathetic. It gives him a very self-deprecating feel, I don't know if that was your intention. Be careful though because it seems that he is quickly denying the magic of it all.. Perhaps a bird had just peeked in to my homely retreat I'm not sure what that means, in search of an adventure filled with gnomes and all of it’s speaking bird friends? Or maybe it just crashed into the glass due to the morning’s poor visibility, receiving fatal concussion and lay dead in my flower trough. My head snapped back into personal Nirvana. Quick thoughts of indecision raced through my mind; was it the cold kind of fog or was it tropical condensation? Oh what the hell, I lived in Florida. My hopes of snow were nearly as bad as the fact that there was probably a rotting corpse flattening my peonies. But then i thought, maybe dead flesh was fertilizer? Heck with it all. My alarm read 5:10. That bird should burn in hell.

I was very interested when I saw how short this was but you did an incredible job with it. It was so simple but it managed to have purpose. I pointed out the few nitpicks I found. Since it is so short you need to keep in mind that little things give big impressions, like the self-deprecating comment set the tone for the character. Make sure that's your intention. The one thing I didn't like was the last line, it just seemed very harsh and out of line. I think you should take it out completely because it makes the character seem very unlikable. That is all, happy reviewing!
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 pm
LittlePrincess says...

Hey there! Little Princess here for a review!
A short thud filled across filled across doesn't really make sense. You could say spread across or just simply filled and you will be all setthe radiated I'm not really sure what a radiated room is, perhaps you mean radiant?room. It was warm; stuffy to a point where I was conscious of the discomfort of it all. I needed a crane to haul my eyelids open. I looked over the foot of the bed, towards the fogged over window, the only window. I had always fantasized about mist as clouds coming down from the heavens, and had always found days like these magical in a pretty pathetic way This is interesting, that the MC refers to himself as pathetic. It gives him a very self-deprecating feel, I don't know if that was your intention. Be careful though because it seems that he is quickly denying the magic of it all.. Perhaps a bird had just peeked in to my homely retreat I'm not sure what that means, in search of an adventure filled with gnomes and all of it’s speaking bird friends? Or maybe it just crashed into the glass due to the morning’s poor visibility, receiving fatal concussion and lay dead in my flower trough. My head snapped back into personal Nirvana. Quick thoughts of indecision raced through my mind; was it the cold kind of fog or was it tropical condensation? Oh what the hell, I lived in Florida. My hopes of snow were nearly as bad as the fact that there was probably a rotting corpse flattening my peonies. But then i thought, maybe dead flesh was fertilizer? Heck with it all. My alarm read 5:10. That bird should burn in hell.

I was very interested when I saw how short this was but you did an incredible job with it. It was so simple but it managed to have purpose. I pointed out the few nitpicks I found. Since it is so short you need to keep in mind that little things give big impressions, like the self-deprecating comment set the tone for the character. Make sure that's your intention. The one thing I didn't like was the last line, it just seemed very harsh and out of line. I think you should take it out completely because it makes the character seem very unlikable. That is all, happy reviewing!
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll