z

Young Writers Society

Why write?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:34 am
Jiggity says...

That is the question I find myself asking. Why write? Why do we write? What makes us want to spin these tales? Do we, just naturally want to entertain? I dont know about you, but I constantly found myself reading a scene, and not being satisfied with it, so I'd remake it in my head. 'I can do better' was what basically turned me to it, oh yes, that and the need to unburden myself of the stories that randomly popped into my head; possessing me for a brief period with their urgent madness.

So I ask you now, What makes you write?
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:48 am
Poor Imp says...

I think I had a similar wish to rewrite - to make something better, or different that I'd read. (Some authors are so clumsy...)

But then, more than that, I always loved words and the way they formed into language - the structure and the sound.

Good question though, JigSaw. I don't think it's something I've ever contemplated more than fleetingly. Somehow, I write because it's something my mind forms mentally, and my fingers itch to put it down. Well, I'm sounding very lucid. No doubt some people are writers - and others are authors, story-tellers. There's a difference there. An author has to tell a story, create something (I've always loved that; used to do it in games rather than pages); whereas a writer might merely manage words for a living, or have no interest in telling a story.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:02 am
Torpid says...

You can create, play God, entertain, escape the world, extend your mind to humanity, liven up your life by creating someone else's. You could even control a effin universe man! that might be why it appelas to some people. Just some thoughts. Me persoally, im good at it (i think) so i just do it. I like to imagine. I guess i dont really know for sure why though...WHO DOES?

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:19 am
bubblewrapped says...

**coughs** I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, LMAO. I write because I cant help it. I get IDEAS for stories and ... well, I never really do anything with them but they NAG me. And then they develop twists and turns and weird little side-stories and then the characters practically FORCE me to sit down and type SOMETHING although I never do anything with it, as I said. Except for poems, which are really just accidents. And so anyway, the reason I write is because they might eat me alive if I didnt **nods solemnly**

That, and the obsessive-compulsive thing already mentioned.

Seriously though. I dont really WRITE anything really, at least not anymore. I'm waiting...for what, I dont know. But when I'm ready, there'll be no stopping me! What got me writing though was a lot of things - largely an irritation with what I was reading, hehe. The whole "I can do better" thing...ooh. Some authors that are published... [prickles irritably] But also because people always told me I was good at it. And because...I have this obsessive-compulsive disorder. Did I mention that?
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

798 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:09 am
Jiggity says...

LMAO. Lol, yeah I feel the same way. Interestingly enough, I actually started writing because I was bored, I had nothing else to do and I was sick of seeing 'Forest of Darkness: Chapter 1000,000' It irritated me so much that I started "Shaman" and I got encouraging comments...and here I am today. Utterly, utterly obssessed. The puppet of my Stories. I had tried to write a story when I was like 12, it was utterly horrible and from then I never wrote. After 'Shaman' though, twas as if a dam burst and all these ideas burst into my head...

anyways, Im rambling as I usually do. So, I'll shut up. For now.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:13 am
Torpid says...

lol, i remember the freKeain forest of darkness used to be on ALL THE TIME!

ive wroten sinc i was lil, im 13 now. it probably started when my dad started reading the hobbit to me before bed.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:42 am
Myth says...

bubblewrapped wrote:**coughs** I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, LMAO. I write because I cant help it. I get IDEAS for stories and ... well, I never really do anything with them but they NAG me. And then they develop twists and turns and weird little side-stories and then the characters practically FORCE me to sit down and type SOMETHING although I never do anything with it, as I said. Except for poems, which are really just accidents. And so anyway, the reason I write is because they might eat me alive if I didnt **nods solemnly**

It's the same with me, I can't keep still unless I've written down a short plot and a few paragraphs of something about the characters or the world they live in.

It's the only thing I'm good at apart from drawing and I really enjoy writing.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

Because I have to (That stinks of melodrama, but it's true).
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:38 am
Elelel says...

WE ALL HAVE THE WRITING ITCH!!!

You know how stories nag at you? You know how you get a sudden attraction to blank paper and new pens for no reason? You know how you live in a story and you just ... can't ... think ... properly? Weeellll ... it's the writing itch!

When I was 11 or 12, this author came to talk to my class about his books and writing and so forth (and gave away the ending to a seris of his books accidently which disppointed all the people reading them). That was about when I was getting really interested in writing, so afterwards I went up to him to talk to him. When I said that there were times when I couldn't stop myself from writing, that I just had to do it or die from a build up of un-told story energy (not in those words, but you get the idea) he laughed and said I had the writing itch, and I was very, very proud of it.

That's one of my reasons. The other isn't so glorious.

The reason I was getting interested in writing at that time, wasn't just because I loved writing so much, but also because I happened to learn that writer's got to stay at home all day. THat triggered my first "hey, I could be an author" thought.

After that I wrote a corny 56 handwritten page story for a grade 7 English assignment. I still have it. It's pathetically corny, and you can see where I suddenly thought "THIS TORTURE CANNOT GO ON!!!" and stopped illustrating it and just abandoned the plot for a quick ending. But still, it amuses me and I'm proud of it. Once you've experienced the whole "THIS CANNOT GO ON!!!" thing, and STILL write, then it's pretty much a given that you're hoplessly in love with writing... and completely insane.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

798 Reviews

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:22 am
Jiggity says...

Yeah, the whole "stay-at-home-and-do-your-thing" is a very appealing factor, but then again you have to be very good, with some published books, in order to be a full-time author. Otherwise, or in the beginning at least, you have to do writing part-time, managing that with a job that will keep you afloat financially. Unless ofcourse your rich or have extremely generous parents who are willing to continue feeding and clothing you while you try and get your life on track...alas that such beings do not exist.

And I definetly have the writers itch. That damn itch.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:45 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I write because it hurts not to. Literally. I get depressed, feel terrible about myself and have stories flooding out my ears that make it semi impossible to do anything else if I don't write.

And besides that, I love it. End of story.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:19 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

I wish I could write. I've had perma-writer's block for the past year.

My reason is nonexistant now since I'm not writing... But maybe it'll pop up soon.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:41 pm
Sophie says...

I started writing because everyone told me I was great at everything to do with English, I found out that i really enjoyed it.

I am NEVER satisfied with my work, it always sounds to immature. But my brain is constantly coming up with ideas and formulas that I just have to get them down on paper. If there's something I wish would happen / would dread happening in my own situations, I'll make it happen in someone else's situation in a story or poem.
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:42 pm
Black Ghost says...

I guess I write because It feels good. I like sharing stories that pop in my head to other people. I guess I've always liked entertaining people (maybe that's why I'm a magician, hmmm......) SO ANYWAY, I write because It's like something I have to get out of my system, like when you feel guilty and you feel like confessing.

I guess I'm just rambling but I like writing and If you stop to wonder WHY you do it, you might find that there really is no reason, it's just something that is natural and doesn't need to have a reason.

Why did Michelangelo sculpt?

Why did Mozart play symphonies?

Why did Van goh paint?

Well, I don't know how to end this but I think I will try to answer the question in as short a sentence as possible

Why write?

Because I just do.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:50 pm
Firestarter says...

It's therapeutic, and I enjoy it. And it's something that I'm okay at (in a world where everything is beyond me). I try to hold on to my "talents" as long as I can. I don't seem to have this nagging feeling a few posters have described. I like to have a bit more control over my writing habits. I do it to explore my feelings. I love playing with words. I love writing a god sentence or line and sitting back and smiling. This doesn't happen often, but it's good when it does.

Last of all, I use it to escape reality.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh