z

Young Writers Society

What are you reading at the moment?

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:26 am
AstrangedbeaR says...

Just woundered what your all reading, a novel, fantasy etc...?

I'm readng The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathon Stroud recommended by a friend, and so far, it's a pretty good read. I dont usually read fantasy and adventure stories so she's recommeding some to me, because i always said it wasnt my thing, and what i read wasnt her thing, so we decided to switch genres for a couple of weeks :)

So, among that question i've asked, what genres are you particulary interested in too...
*AstrangedbeaR*

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 pm
tinny says...

I've finished reading Sir Thurday by Garth Nix a few days back, and it's already been passed onto three other people. I just started reading Priestess of the white by Trudi Canavan. Twas my papa's so I've stolen it for a while. He takes my books so I can take his. He's a big fantasy freak like me.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:29 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, because I'm on a naval fiction frenzy moment, having read four Alexander Kent books in succession and a Patrick O'Brian one ...

... I luckily found my old, battered, falling-apart-at-the-seams copy of Midshipman Horatio Hornblower by (of course) CS Forester. Brilliant book!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:34 pm
kiashana says...

I've actually managed to not be reading anything at the moment. I just finished Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card, and I haven't had time to get to the library since. It's kind of a problem, actually, since I have nothing to do right now.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:01 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

... I luckily found my old, battered, falling-apart-at-the-seams copy of Midshipman Horatio Hornblower by (of course) CS Forester. Brilliant book!
- YAY! I am just short two, from my Hornblower collection.

Alexander Kent's a good read too. Hmm... and Alexander Fullerton, which is impossible, I say impossible, to find in the States.

Right now I am reading, The Pythons: The Autobiography, It's a wonderfuly light change from the Dostoevsky I just finished (The Double, Notes from the Underground).

On genres, I read just about anything...
Last edited by Caligula's Launderette on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:36 pm
smaur says...

Just finished Bel Canto, by Ann Pratchett. *sigh* Gorgeous book.

I have a stack of books to read (and a neverending book list) — The Battle of the Sexes in Science Fiction (Justine Larbalestier) is probably first up, because I'm in a geeky mood. But when it comes to genres, I'll honestly read anything, be it fantasy or historical fiction or mystery. (I'll read anything in printed form, for that matter; non-fiction, graphic novels, shopping receipts ...)
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:14 pm
Areida says...

Just finished a retelling of Snow White, called Snow by Tracy Lynn. It was good; nothing spectacular, but it suited my purpose (entertainment).

I'm about to start Jane Austen's Emma. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

131 Reviews

Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:35 pm
smaur says...

Just finished a retelling of Snow White, called Snow by Tracy Lynn. It was good; nothing spectacular, but it suited my purpose (entertainment).

!!!

You have to be the only other person in the universe who has read that book. (Other than people I've harassed into reading it.)

You're right, the book isn't especially spectacular, but I love the characters. Especially her idea for the "seven dwarves". Snow White is probably one of my least favourite fairytales, (mostly because of the dwarves), so the fact that she did it so well makes me love the story all the more.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:40 pm
kiashana says...

smaur wrote:

!!!

You have to be the only other person in the universe who has read that book. (Other than people I've harassed into reading it.)

You're right, the book isn't especially spectacular, but I love the characters. Especially her idea for the "seven dwarves". Snow White is probably one of my least favourite fairytales, (mostly because of the dwarves), so the fact that she did it so well makes me love the story all the more.

Since you guys say it isn't bad and I could use an entertaining book, I think I'll have to look at the library today :)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:04 pm
Areida says...

smaur wrote:

!!!

Woo hoo... I'm cool by smaur now! ;)

I was impressed by the characters too. The evil queen character was really interesting, because I couldn't decide whether I hated, pitied, or was scared to death of her. Snow herself kind of annoyed me, but I LOVED Alan. :D

I love Snow White (partly because of the dwarves :P), but this retelling was interesting in and of itself. There are more in this series... Rapunzel and stuff. I think I'm going to have to get some of them. But really, the only reason I bought this book was because it said, "Get your read on for only $3.99!" on the front and it amused me so much that I had to have the book. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

131 Reviews

Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:23 am
Crayon says...

I'm reading "the short history of tractors in Ukrainian" which is pretty good, im not sure if thats the title word for word but anyway, its a good read
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:41 am
Icaruss says...

American Psycho, by Bret Easton Ellis. I'm also rereading Kingdom Come, by Mark Waid (and the great Alex Ross), which is always good.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:58 pm
Myth says...

Winter Rose - Patricia A. McKillip

The Bartimaeus Trilogy are great books, I read them because of my interest in demons. :D
.: ₪ :.

'...'

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:25 pm
AstrangedbeaR says...

i have to say, with a first approach to magical adventure, this is a riveting read.
*AstrangedbeaR*

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm
hekategirl says...

Messenger--Lois Lowry

It's a companion to the Giver and to Gathering Blue. But it is way not as good as them.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp