z

Young Writers Society

Top 5 Worst Books You Ever Read

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:35 pm
MadameX says...

1. "Jane Eyre". It suck. Sorry.

2. "Into the Wild Nerd Yonder" a bunch of thinly veiled, snobbish moralizing. I don't even know why I finished it.

3. "Little Women" boring.

4. "Fang (Maximum Ride #6)" No character acts like that. Atrocious. What happened to this series?

5. "THe Haunting of Alazibel Cray" I loved the writer's other stuff, but this one had too much pointless violence and too little plot movement.
[url]thelibrarygirl.blogspot.com[/url] Everything Weird Happens at the Library

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:45 pm
Leja says...

Ooh, this is a dangerous can of worms, haha. I will probably be spelling a lot of these wrong and/or omitting the authors because honestly, I really don't care enough to check.

1. The Memory Keeper's Daughter

2. Reading Lolita in Tehran

3. Charlotte Temple

4. Jane Eyre

5. Into the Wild

* This list is in order from most hated to least hated.

In general, I'm pretty good about choosing books that I'll like. Class assignments, however, are another story entirely.
Last edited by Leja on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 am
kukukt007 says...

1. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee. Mainly because the introductory chapters were excruciating, & my teacher ripped all the themes to pieces.

2. One of the Sweet Valley High books - Francine Pascal & several ghost writers. I felt the urge to do an Oedipus Rex & stab my eyes out with a brooch.

3. Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden. I don't know why, but I thought it was a load of rubbish.

4. Z for Zachariah - Robert C. O'Brien. It was published posthumously, & his wife & daughter had to complete it for him. The ending that they wrote was far more exciting than the stuff he wrote. I suppose you're getting the gist of it.

5. The Magician's Nephew - C. S. Lewis. A terrible prequel to a fantastic series.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:00 pm
TheEvilWithin says...

5th: The Wasp Factory

4th: New Moon

3rd: Eclipse

2nd: Twilight

1st: Breaking Dawn

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:31 pm
Shepherd says...

1. A Brave New World
(Uninteresting, cliched, and it repeated itself a thousand times. The themes weren't that great, so it relied heavily on supposedly shocking tactics.)
2. The Good Earth
(Horribly boring, and not exceptionally written.)
3. Ivanhoe
(Difficult to get through. I imagine I wouldn't think it were bad if I had been able to get through it, but I just couldn't. Learn Old English before you try this one!)
4. Breaking Dawn
(Ugh. No plot, no character development. Boring!)
5. Shutter Island
(Great. Thrilling, fascinating, funny, suspenseful. Untillll you hit the ending, which is a total literary cop-out to the greatest degree. ARGH!)
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm
TheEvilWithin says...

Shepherd wrote:4. Breaking Dawn
(Ugh. No plot, no character development. Boring!)

No character development? Bella turns into a vampire. But yeah, it still sucked. I wanted a huge fight at the end, but Stephanie Meyer took that away from me and in its place gave me her middle finger. Stupid, money hungry cow.

108 Reviews

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:13 am
Shepherd says...

Becoming inhuman =/= character development. She didn't change as a person. It bored me.

(No personal offense intended to any die-hard Twilight Enterprise fans)
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 am
austenite says...

kukukt007 wrote:
3. Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden. I don't know why, but I thought it was a load of rubbish.

Oh, I LOVE TWTWB!!! I think it's brilliant. The whole series, for me, is brilliant. I really identifyed with it all. And it's the only book I read for school that I actually liked.

For me, my list is:

1. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte. I wanted to take a hammer to Cathy & Heathcliff to put us all out of our misery.

2. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte. If EB's Wuthering Heights was set in high school, Cathy and Heathcliff would get the award for Most Dramatic Couple. Jane and Rochester? Most Boring Couple. Snore....

3. Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer. Now, I like the series (don't hate on me, please, I don't have the patience for people who don't like it. I do, you don't end of conversation, let's move on), but Breaking Dawn just ruins it. For a practicing Mormon, SM has a lot to answer for before God. Plus pre-born vampire babies? C'mon...*shoves BD into a closet with Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre and throws away the key*

4. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad. Biggest fail in book history, in my opinion *stuffs in closet as well*

5. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood. This lady should be in a madhouse. Honestly. This book is disturbing. It ruined high school English Lit for me. Forever.
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 am
LastPaladin says...

Shepherd wrote:1. A Brave New World
(Uninteresting, cliched, and it repeated itself a thousand times. The themes weren't that great, so it relied heavily on supposedly shocking tactics.)

It was hardly cliche at the time. It's not supposed to be anything but a dystopian novel and if ya actually finished it ya'd realize it's not cliche. The ending made me depressed after reading it. It's by far a better written novel than 1984 and honestly much darker.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

108 Reviews

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm
Shepherd says...

LastPaladin wrote:

It was hardly cliche at the time. It's not supposed to be anything but a dystopian novel and if ya actually finished it ya'd realize it's not cliche. The ending made me depressed after reading it. It's by far a better written novel than 1984 and honestly much darker.

...? I did finish it. Didn't like it. Sorry if my opinion is offensive?
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy

168 Reviews

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:54 pm
LastPaladin says...

Shepherd wrote:
LastPaladin wrote:

...? I did finish it. Didn't like it. Sorry if my opinion is offensive?

It's like some people hate 1984, true it's depressing as hell and makes you wanna die. But that's point he was making it way he saw us heading if we grew more shallow and in that respect it's accurate.

I'll give anecdote my Grandad read this book in Navy right and let the others read it, they all thought there was nothing wrong with that world.

Understand now?
You poor take courage
You rich take care
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace

108 Reviews

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:42 pm
Shepherd says...

It's like some people hate 1984, true it's depressing as hell and makes you wanna die. But that's point he was making it way he saw us heading if we grew more shallow and in that respect it's accurate.

I'll give anecdote my Grandad read this book in Navy right and let the others read it, they all thought there was nothing wrong with that world.

Understand now?

Well, sure, I understand that you liked it, and that it was historically relevant (and certainly an interesting commentary on the supposed future of the world). But I didn't like it. =) I don't have a problem with the depressing, dystopian nature of the work, only with the shallow and (to me) uninteresting way in which it was presented. Just not my cup of tea, is all.
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm
Onyxsky7 says...

Hmm, theres definitely a lot of terrible books that i've read but I'll stick to your guideline.

1. Madame Bovary- complete and utter drag from beginning to end, compliments of my univ World-Lit teacher

2. Twilight Series- I thoguht they were decent. Hated the first person POV though. What really killed the series for me though was the last book. There was this huge build up throughout the novel(inevitable fight scene) which ended with no one getting hurt and everyone living happily ever after, what a sell out S. Meyer.

3. Jane Eyre

4. Any book by Cheryl M. Halton, courtesy of my 6th grade science teacher

5. Lord of the Flies, I love this book but I also loathe it, mostly because I spent basically an entire school year analyzing and writing papers on it. "Piggy! Have you got any Matches?"-The boy/legend, Ralph.

168 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 pm
LastPaladin says...

In no order particular.

Artermis Fowl - Eoin Colfer: It bored me insanely

Deltora - Jane Rodda: Can't believe thought she was good at one point.

Treasure - Clive Cussler: Not only was character dull as hell, this was racist, insulting and the character was basically an insertion of himself in novel.

I'm going to get flack for this choice...

Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut; I really wanted to like this, I really did, but I couldn't... the way it was written put me off.

Harry Potter (After Goblet of Fire) - J.k Rowling: It wasn't long after these i got bored of HP world.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 am
foxfire says...

This is not in any particular order

Sense and sensibility and sea monstersrs- the only reason why i read it were the pictures but after three pages. I gave up especially one whole page of straight dialogue and bad pacing of time.

Atonement by Ian McEwan-though we had studied and I was impress by the themes but the story was somewhat awful. I struggled on what on earth was actually happening.

Lolita- Aside from the first part of the book, the rest was awful. They went to this place and on the next sentence they went to another without any rest to the reader.

Twilight series-read one chapter and yeah, it killed me. I don't know why my brother is obsessed with it?

Catching Fire-It simply repeated the first book. The games were not interesting. Katniss' time before going to the capital seemed odd and various important events such as travelling to other districts was vague. the romance is shallow and Katniss' personality just degraded. And Peeta is still an idiot.
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe