z

Young Writers Society

what writing level should be used?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun May 23, 2010 9:56 pm
W says...

napalmerski wrote:In the end, I've come up with the following attempt at balance - writing in three-stage ascending waves:
1. write stuff I can handle
2. write stuff I can handle with difficulty
3. write stuff I can't handle
and then start over again.
This could be the best formula that combines feeling about in new territory while consolidating achieved gains :D

What exactly do you mean by things you "can't handle" or "handle with difficulty"? I always think when writing that if I like the story I'm writing about, it's not the idea of the story i'm having trouble with, it's the process of the creation of the story. I mean, if you actively think "this is hard, I can't handle 'this'" (whatever 'this' is supposed to mean) obviously it'll be more difficult to write.
el oh el

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon May 24, 2010 9:40 am
napalmerski says...

Yo, W,
about feeling that one can or can't handle a project:
For example, if I plan writing a story about a kid walking in a park and meeting some elves and having some minor adventures, there's nothing there I can't descibe, so I think: "I can handle this."
If I plan writing a full-length fantasy novel where I have to describe majestic panoramas, complicated plot-twists, cities, battles and war-gear, port-towns and villages, I think: "maybe I can handle that, but it's gonna be very difficult."
If I plan to write a spy novel about a dude who flies all over the world, uses new technology, knows the procedures of all local police forces, and on top of all that I have to describe people's clothes, cars, gadgets, and have them maintain different authentic accents, I think: "I can't handle that. It will be an unconvincing pile of crud when I'm done with it."
There :smt003
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World