z

Young Writers Society

Mary-sue

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 am
SaturnTears says...

Mary-sue

First thing. What is a Mary-sue?

A Mary-sue is a flawless perfectionist with everything a character wants. Except for the readers. Sure, not every reader hates a Mary-sue, but a lot do. A writer needs to consider their readers, and not only themselves of their characters, but everything. Hence why the job of a writer is really hard. A Mary-sue, is perfect, beautiful, skillful at everything, has nothing wrong about her, and everyone falls for her, and those who don't are jealous of her.

Gary-stu is the male name of a Mary-sue, something people will say is her 'brother'. Let's say twins of opposite gender. He's a guy, but with the same things as Princess Mary on the Prairie. Perfect.

Some (Meaning most from my experience) people really, really hate these. Why? They are unreal, perfect is not something that is accomplishable! Unique is. Unusual, "different", weird, a freak, but not perfect. Every character needs a flaw. I mean all.

Characters:

A plot makes the story, and the characters make the story visible. With no characters, there is no story, no plot to play. A Mary-sue may be perfect, but she does everything that will make the reader throw the book at the wall. They will put it down, and stop reading. A perfect character destroys what could have been a great story. Flaws, likings, dislikes, looks, and all those things makes a character, one without one of them is called lack in character development. For me, characters are a huge part of the story. They need to be interesting, (Or at least most) and believable for the characters to "come to life" and therefor, Mary-sue is out of the question.

And you know what? A Mary-sue will make everything obvious in the story. Let's say this one character got in trouble, he's going to die maybe, oh wait. No he won't. Miss Perfect, is perfect, right? She has the powers, the looks, everything, and so she saves the day. They would not get worried over the character at all, they would expect it to be saved, and why? Because they know that Mary-'Cupid' will save the day. That's a ruin of suspense! Complete ruin!

Mary-Sues

The most common of Mary-sues, is the perfect, stunningly-beautiful-no-one-can-resist-her, skillful, flawless character. But there are more.

There is then one, that can be ugly, fat, or so imperfect she's full of nothing but flaws, yet everyone can see through this and again, everyone likes her. (There was more to it, but I'm shortening this all.)

There's three more, I believe (like the oh-so-horrible-past, but somehow the "lady" can overcome it all!), but I'm running out of time! Search it up and you'll see what I mean.

A Mary-sue is basically what I've explained so far, and are... heads-in-clouds innocent angel that has no idea she's "leading" all of these guys on, maybe clumsy, childish in a cute way, and thinks her beauty is a curse. She has unusual eyes that are out-of-this-world and... just, completely different. But oh wait, her different isn't bad! The word she loves most, perfect.

...Eh, I think I'm getting bored so I'm kicking jokes in x.x. Apologies!

If there is a race that your character is, that... let's say, enables having orange eyes, and your character has orange eyes, then that isn't a sign of Mary-sue, because that is the set of the race. Only, don't make that race perfect too...

That would be a godawful horde of Mary-sues and her male cousins!

I don't hate Mary-sues, I have nothing against them. If some authors want to fantasize about themselves in a better form, that is fine with me. It does not bother me. But this is more of a warning to any author who might have the Curse of Mary. You might lose half of your readers that have picked up your book because of her... Unless the plot is amazingly original and all of the other characters are likeable, and the story does not evolve around her constantly, by then I think they might put up with her a bit, but still hate her. And I mean hate her. Rant, rave, and have a mental party if anything happens to her. Like death.

I don't like using this girl as an explanation, but she's pretty much the only one I know so far.

Bella Swan.

Sound familiar?

Yea, I bet she does, or at least to most of you viewers. If you do know her, you know the way she's not pretty, but boring, yet has blood that smells like flowers, and everyone loves her. She's a bit clumsy, always needs to be saved, and everyone still loves her. She's stronger than those who have been a vampire longer, (I don't know if this is entirely true, heard it in a rant. I have not read the series) and... no excuse for her immunity to mind-reading, her sweet fragrance. Nothing. I mean if she was some... reincarnation of... Cupid (x.x) that would be... well, would make sense at least, right? (Not much since it's a story of vampires, but it would answer why she has everything) Alright, so, Belly (Bella) has a few flaws right? Well they all flow with the story, and doesn't even do anything. It doesn't really cause any fights does it? Nope, her Puppy (Or Mr.Furry if you prefer) and Mr.Sparkles still love her to no end.

If I recall right, she got something around 127 in a Mary-sue test that someone did for her. They added in: "No joke.".

I believe that, aye. Highly believable, now, I need to shut up about Belly because this is not a Twilight rant! But, that is pretty much a not-pretty but not-ugly, only average-Mary-sue which would still be perfect.

Gary-stu is the exact same. They are rarely in books, FanFics, or RPs though. Probably because no-one can picture them as flawless ! (No offense XD. Flaws are good anyways so keep it to yourself . Well, depends on the flaw. Of course, the flaw isn't good to the character nor the other characters. I'm just saying in real life to them.) All you have to do is see all the "she's" and "hers" I said in here as "he's" and things.

Question that might be on your mind...

Do you have Mary-sue's curse?

The answer.

Well... That's partly for you and others to decide. Mostly you, but also the readers. It's hard for an author to see their flaws in writing. Every author loves every single character they made, it's really hard to hate your own character, so, you think: "She's perfect, so?" and that makes you think there is nothing wrong, and so, you don't think the readers will hate them. Unless it's really obvious, like a psycho path character. You probably wouldn't doubt that he/she'd be hated, but you would still love that character. If not love, but you wouldn't hate them. If you did, you wouldn't of had made them, or probably have everything horrible done to it and then kill it. (Yea, "it". XD. I don't want to keep saying he/she, her/him)

There are tests for a Mary-sue, and I can give you the links I want, or, you can have a live, "personal" test, me XD. I detect them very well.... (But everyone has different views on a Mary-sue)

Now, I have absolutely nothing against a Mary-sue, and I honestly don't see why others do, but I think I see that it's reasonable. It's like this....

You finally find a book you want to read. You love books.

One major problem.

Mary just drew on it with enchanted markers of pink ink.

And then you'll hear them throw your book, mhm.

I'll assure you though, a lot of people will accuse you of a Mary-sue! Sometimes the character is nowhere near one, yet she is called one! Sometimes, every female character is taken as one. Mine has been too, when really she's quite evened out. Your character can have one Mary-sue quality, and bam, the attacks start. So, being an author who knows what critique, or comment to ignore, is always something good...

I... don't think this was helpful at all, (and probably confusing.) but... I was so bored, and wanted to do something while I wait to get out of this darn hospital, and now my battery is at 3% (Laptop) so needa go xD. Though, I am not an expert in this, so you don't have to take everything as truth, maybe just consideration. And, those who love Twilight, that wasn't really an insult XD!

Author Notes:

I think my grammar's a little off, but... oh well... Had fun writing this to say the least xD.

Suggestion though...

Don't overload them with flaws to try and keep Mary's curse off of you xD. I think the readers will then just go: "This character is so useless! It's so darn annoying, he/she should just die!"

Let's say this.... Example-

Pretty: (Okay, she/he can be pretty, but let's say he/she hates attention and it draws her into some major problems.)

Smart: (Can be smart, but got glasses 'cause they read books. Maybe even blind, because they forgot to take their contacts out if you prefer contacts over glasses, when they sleep xD)

Sweet: (Very nice, but too submissive that anyone can walk over her/him.)

Funny: (Funny, buuut, makes offensive jokes sometimes. Or maybe even ruins a mood because she/he always has to joke.)

I think that pretty much evens it all out... enough at least.

Sister's Note: Meaning SaturnTears talking! My sis made this, so I don't claim it as mine! Only this account :lol: (<<<--That laughing face is creepy. Oh, and I didn't know where to post this is... So... if anyone removes it, I understand XD.)
My Heart Can't Possibly Break When It Wasn't Even Whole To Start With

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 am
Jas says...

Wow. This was really wel-written! Mary Sues annoy the heck out of me, no one has violet colored eyes and long red hair and has all the boys after her but of course is oblivious to this and treats them all the same. Mary Sues don't exist in the real world and I think if your charaacter is going to be one, it should be in fantasy or sci-fi because those are the genres where you place things that cannot be real, immposible things AKA Marty or Mary Sue.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm
Jianfre says...

Mary Sues exist in real life, but they shouldn't be main characters in your story.

Twilight is more then just full of Sues... its full of preachy religious morals and sap. :/ Avoid, avoid I say!

143 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 143
Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:47 pm
LovelessSummer says...

First I'd like to say: Welcome to YWS! May your stay here be as wonderful as a Panda bear eating a banana nut muffin!
This was well written, very nice coming from a new member-from anyone really-! I hate Mary Sues, they're so unrealistic and boring. No one is truely perfect, and if the MC has a few flaws that makes me love them even more. Twilight-a perfectly horrible example- was just full of very annoying Sues! I'd rather not talk about it, 'cause I'd start ranting. This was a very enjoyable and informational read! And if you have any questions-being that you're new and all- feel free to message me, and i'll help you to the best of my abalities.

Big kiss, class dismissed!
Muffins 'n' Machine Guns x)
LoVeLeSs I review short stories and novels.

Always remember that you’re unique. Just like everyone else.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:47 pm
Kelcia says...

Ah... At last. Someone who can rant about Mary-sues as long as I can!
I think you have some good points. An excelent way for people to recognise Mary-Sues and I think every new author should read this, to put them on the alert, or at least get a laugh out of them.

Do not make me talk about Twilight. I will not talk about Twilight.

Anyways, See you around,

Kelcia
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 am
Stori says...

Do you mind if a boy adds his two cents?

I read the bit on Twilight (not a fan, and I resented the quote from Genesis)
and would like to agree. Moving on, though, I must say that beauty ought to
never come into a character's profile. They should be either beautiful or not,
and more often than not that should come from the inside.

For instance.

Bonnie from "Dragons in Our Midst" isn't what everyone
considers pretty. She does have a very eloquent mind, though.
If you ever have the fortune to read her journal entry in
"The Candlestone," you'll see what I mean.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Not a fan? Have you read my parody? If you hate action stories, then I advice you not. :lol:
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 pm
Stori says...

Parodies are a different matter. Someone could write a parody
of your memoirs; would you laugh?

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Sun May 23, 2010 3:24 am
ultraviolet says...

Stori-- 2 words: Awe. Some. Dragons in our Midst is my favorite series, promptly followed by the Oracles of Fire, which technically isn't much different. And you're right; Bonnie isn't drop-dead gorgeous. And her journal entry moved me to tears, it was so beautiful.

Yeah, this has almost nothing to do with the original post pretty much, but I couldn't resist writing a little something about those amazing books. :)
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 am
Earthfire713 says...

Another example of a Mary-Sue that I've found is Nancy Drew. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but she gets kind of on my nerves because she's perfect, loved by everyone (except the bad guys of course) and her dad basically lets her do what she wants. I'm not going to get into a rant about this :smt001 I was just offering it as another example. Again, apologies to Nancy Drew-lovers.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:49 am
Shadowhunter14 says...

Great post! I totally agree, Mary Sues are frustrating. Especially Bella Swan. GRRRRRRR.
You're right - If your character is flawless, thy're unrelatable. and the story loses all interesting parts and realism. If your character doesn't make mistakes and/or bad choices, they're not a real person, and that doesn't make the story particularly intriguing either.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 am
AylaStarr says...

Gah, I could talk for hours about how I dislike Mary-Sues, AND Gary-Sues, for that matter. When everything the character does is right and they act so predictably, I can't even stand reading it. They lack so much depth that they, in reality, could be just about anyone, because there's no personality to them, no quirks. I LOVE the characters that are awkward or socially inept, or have some weird quirks, because I can at least relate to them.

I can't relate to a Mary Sue.

Daddy Long Legs are more closely related to crabs than spiders and somehow the idea of crablike creatures with spider legs that have escaped the entrappings of the primordial sea and now crawl over land and can walk up and down walls and ceilings creeps me more than I can adequately describe.
— Snoink