z

Young Writers Society

Please Help!

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:19 am
JustDance says...

Hey,
If you're reading this first of all thank you so much, for taking the time to stop and help me. I am truly grateful. (:
Anyways, I heard about a writing contest on this one site. It's supposed to be written in an animal's P.O.V. (point of view). Have you seen Marley & Me?
They got the idea for the contest from it, so you probably get the "lines" of the contest now.
Of course the story can be about any animal, no specifically a dog.
Any more ideas?

I want my story to be something that all reader's will greatly enjoy.
Sadly, I'm having trouble thinking of an idea.
Any good tips, theme, plots, etc?
Thanks!

Take Note: If I use you idea, I will NOT be copying it, because I will take the plot and make it into something SIMILAR, NOT THE SAME. That's why it will NOT be considered plagarism, so do know, that if you give an idea, it might be used, but it will NOT BE COPYIED. So basically if you give an idea you agree to letting me use it, but again DO NOTE I WILL CHANGE IT UP A BIT SO IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE SAME!

Haha sorry, just wanted to get that out of the way, so that I won't have to face any issues later on.

Thanks again! =]
Last edited by JustDance on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:25 am
TNCowgirl says...

You could have a wild mustang that at the begining of the story is being chased and then caught. Then show how it feels while it's being broke and so on. Depends on the kind of magazine.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 am
Bloo says...

its 100 years in the future and a virus breaks up infecting all the computers and electronics in an area enabling them useless. The cities that have this virus are sealed off. then 20 years after the virus a group of kids find out about it (they were born and never told about the sealing off) and they set out to find the root and cure for it so they can leave the enclosed area and see the world.

(in case you can't tell the it is a computer virus and why it is so serious is because in that time everything is computerized basically even humans, sort of)

Random avatar

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:29 am
JustDance says...

Oh it's not for a magazine. It's just a contest. That is quite a nice idea.
However, I was hoping for something more on the "pet's" P.O.V. side. (I'll include that in my description).
Have you seen Marley & Me?
They got the idea for the contest from it, so you probably get the "lines" of the contest now.
Any more ideas?
Thank you TNcowgirl! =]

Random avatar

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:30 am
JustDance says...

boltageman wrote:its 100 years in the future and a virus breaks up infecting all the computers and electronics in an area enabling them useless. The cities that have this virus are sealed off. then 20 years after the virus a group of kids find out about it (they were born and never told about the sealing off) and they set out to find the root and cure for it so they can leave the enclosed area and see the world.

(in case you can't tell the it is a computer virus and why it is so serious is because in that time everything is computerized basically even humans, sort of)

Wow! That's very creative.
However it's actually supposed to be based on a pet\animal.
Have you seen Marley & Me?
Any more ideas?
Thanks btw! =]

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:33 am
Evi says...

So, animals.

I think it would be interesting to take the perspective of a bird slamming into a window, maybe. We think it's so funny, just to hear the *thump* and watch it fall, but it must not be as funny for the bird itself.

Or, perhaps a honey bee on the whole 'gathering honey' concept? Or the 'stinging' concept, maybe.

If you've heard of the Tower of London, you'll know that there's a legend about crows that involves it. It might be worth your while to look up the legend and see what it's about, and maybe write from the crow's perspective. Or is it a raven? Not sure.

Hope this helped!

~Evi
Last edited by Evi on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:33 am
Nutty says...

You could do it from a parrot's POV, on a pirate ship, only the parrot is much more intelligent then the pirates and mocks them in his head.
Could be humorous.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

Random avatar

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:37 am
JustDance says...

Haha I like your idea Nutty! It's funny.

Evi: Thanks! I might just check out the legend thing. Do you have any links on it, or any more info on it, you can PM me about?

Thanks both of you!
Any more ideas?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am
Rydia says...

Hmmm, I'd suggest you avoid the whole applying a human personality to an animal thing because that's done too often. Instead, show an animal personality but with a flicker of suggestion that humans aren't so different. For example, you could take a cat and consider how it acts around humans and then how it acts when it's roaming around. They can be very viscious when they're killing mice for the fun of it but they're crafty and good at hiding that side. They live double lives, like some con men/ women.

Or you could possibly use a magpie. They have some really interesting traits.

I'm not sure? I don't tend to write about animals.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 am
Meep(: says...

Interstingly, I’ve actually done a piece of writing from an animal’s POV.
Specifically, a dog.
I think I wrote it 2-3 years ago.
I think its up on YWS, you could check it out.

Anyway, what kind of story do you want yours to be?
Action-ish? Funny-ish? Scary-ish?

Well, maybe if you want action, you could be some endangered species, and talk about how you always live in fear of the poachers. They could have killed off the rest of your family?

For funny stuff, Nutty has mentioned the parrot thing, so I shan’t elaborate.
I can’t really think about scary-ish stuff… You can be a bat. Then you’d have to be blind and rely on your other senses. That’s more interesting than scary, really.

Anyhoo, I hope that helps!
I love using my creative juices! :D

Good luck for the contest!
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

Random avatar

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:47 am
JustDance says...

Hm, okay! Thanks!
BTW I was hoping for something a bit mroe "touchy" any ideas on that guys?
Thanksss! =]

Random avatar

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:50 am
JustDance says...

Kk thanksss Meep! =]

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:12 am
cheese9975 says...

Ok- here's my advice:

You keep mentioning Marley & Me. Go with that, but not exactly. Write the story in a dog's point of view as they watch their master go though some traumatic/ trying time in their life. This is your chance to be creative, have it be a death in the family, drug use, whatever you want. It could even be something positive... marriage? love? Whatever. Choose something close to you that you're passionate about. Try to map it out, so that you have at least SOME sort of an idea on where you're going... believe me, you'll finish it must faster that way.

Hope this helps
xoxo
Shannon
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

Random avatar

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:16 am
JustDance says...

Thanks! I ♥ that idea!

However if course I won't do it exactly like Marley & Me.
How bout something like what goes through a loyal pet's mind when a owner's happy, sad, mad, excited, etc.
What do you guysss think???

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:17 am
Meep(: says...

JustDance=] wrote:BTW I was hoping for something a bit mroe "touchy" any ideas on that guys?

By touchy, do you mean touching? or a sensitive subject?
The story I wrote could be classified as 'touching' I guess.
Have a look: topic40718.html

P.S: Remember the chatspeak rule. Try not to use BTW. Spell it out.
Thanks! :D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken