z

Young Writers Society

Tips for knowing your characters?

Random avatar

Reviews: 29
Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:09 am
Monstrar says...

Sounds kind of dumb, but how do you guys learn more about your own characters and their likes and interests.
How do you develop their personalities?
R.I.P. MJ. Gone too soon.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:21 am
Nutty says...

One thing that I have done in the past, and is quite fun too, is to sit down, and put your character through a variety of situations. What would they do if they had all their gear stolen? If someone dumped them? Asked them out? If they killed someone? If they found something valuable? etc, and write out the scenario. It doesn't have to be anything to do with your story, but it is useful for discovering how your character react, and deal with certain types of pressure and stress.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 pm
Francis Michael Buck says...

Like Nutty said, I think spending the time to think about how your characters would react in different situations (even and especially ones that do not take place in your story) in order to get a feel for their overall personality. It also helps me if make a list of a characters attributes and personality quirks. For example, I'll do one for the main character of my novel The Garden.

Carson Leigh
Introverted
Often socially awkward
Deep thinker
Over analyzes things
Often depressed
Prone to drug abuse
Has few friends
Considers most people intellectually inferior
Non-religious
Good sense of humor
Physically attractive
Health freak (eating healthy, working out)
Eccentric
Abnormal sexual preferences
Emotionally unstable
Unsure of his own future
Hates working, espsecially with other people

Do this with brand new characters and after ten minutes it's like you've known them for years.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you've read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-Buddha

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:46 pm
Dreamworx95 says...

Agree with Nutty. Put your characters through different situations that have nothing whatsoever to do with your story. You'd be surprised at how easily they react to things. Experiment with your characters' personalities. Here are some of the personality traits for the main character of my story, Clover's Curse:

Clover:

Clumsy
Impulsive
Likes to sleep in
Loner/Solitary
Has a tendency to get himself into a lot of crap
Get's annoyed when people make fun of his name
Would literally jump in front of a dragon to save his hamster, Munchie

Some situations I would suggest you put your character through are things like: barfights, robberies, etc...the more strain, the better. If you want to get to know your character emotionally, I would suggest things like: if someone attractive was hitting on him/her, if people were picking on him/her...

Anyways, that's how I get to know my characters better. Sorry if this didn't help very much.

Ciao baby,

Dream,

XOXO

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

Well, the way I've gotten to know my characters is countless re-writes. I've found depending on the theme of the overall story my MC will have varying changes in personality. She can go from fiery in one version to calm in another.

But when I have to come up with characters rather quickly, spending thirty seconds on a short list of character traits comes in handy. I usually leave it short and leave my character room for growth though.

Usually the form has a name, age, personality traits and a sum up of the personality. For longer works I add in quirks, likes/dislikes and a bunch of other stuff like favourite pet/animal.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:34 pm
wolf4 says...

What works for me is after I've set up the basics for my character, I let them take over my life. (And no I am not crazy)
When you find yourself in an odd situation, ask yourself, How would So-and-So react? Also, talk to them. Really get to know them like they have been your best friend since kindergarden

Hope I helped ;)

~Wolfy
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:03 pm
.:Elf:. says...

wolf4 wrote:What works for me is after I've set up the basics for my character, I let them take over my life. (And no I am not crazy)
When you find yourself in an odd situation, ask yourself, How would So-and-So react? Also, talk to them. Really get to know them like they have been your best friend since kindergarden

Hope I helped ;)

~Wolfy

So I'm not the only one to do that!

I find that just witting about my characters helps me figure out their personalities. The more I write the more I find.

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle