z

Young Writers Society

Need help with first story

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu May 22, 2008 8:57 pm
December Nights says...

Ok well my friend doesn't like to read anyways but she thought that my story was boring! I started writing it about a week ago and am on the 23rd page as of right now. She barely read into the first 5 pages. It starts off in the first 16 pages (the first chapter) where this girl Shian (main character) is at a party and the party I would say is more of a high school party that you would find in a movie and it also off hand talks about how she just moved to the new school that she is at three weeks ago and how she has all these friends. And she of course falls for the bad guy basically, but then is disracted by the need to throw up so she goes upstairs to the bathroom and she meets a girl. She then gets scared by the girl because she seems a little to friendly. The other main character Jake tried to follow her up the stairs to ask her about a mysterious text message and finds himself to lose her. so he goes outside and sees her fall out the window (to escape the girl who was waiting for her on the stairs) then in chapter two so far she wakes up not remembering the last night and getting mad at jake, thinking the wrong thing of him, then goes to the park to relax. then she texts her best friend Sophie to see if she wants to go to the mall.

--------------------------------I need ideas about what to do for interesting conflicts-------------------------------------

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Fri May 23, 2008 1:51 pm
Azila says...

So far, it seems like it could be interesting if the characters are interesting. I don't really know the characters (because I've only read this outline, and not the actual story) but it seems tome that they are all pretty normal, classic high-schoolers. the kinds in movies. Try to make sure your characters are like people in real life, not movies or even other books you've read. Not to say that they have to be like particular people, but they just have to be realistic. Remember than everyone is different. :wink:

I can't really help you much plot-wise, though, because I really don't know what you're trying to say with the story. What do you want to be changed about the readers once they've finished? What do you want to accomplish with the story? It doesn't have to be an obvious moral; in fact, it doesn't have to be a moral at all. Do you want people to feel disturbed? Elated? Inspired? Frightened? think about it. ^_~

PM me if you want more help!
~Azila~

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Azila's right. The key to a good story is great characters. Think of some of your favorite novels. Are they extremely original, or do you just love the hero/heroine? The book I'm thinking of right now is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. They're not original - they're about werewolves and vampires and romance. But her characters are so real and alive that she's got this crazy fanbase anyway. Work on your characters more than your plot, because if you make your characters live, then they will make the story live.

That's my two cents. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality