z

Young Writers Society

Nominations for Excellent Stories

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:36 pm
Twit says...

This is where you can nominate the stories that you think are worthy of the title "Excellent." Via is running the nominations for "Excellent Poems" (or "Exceptional", however you want to put it) and this thread is the same, only for stories instead. Any story that you particually enjoyed or found interesting, funny, tragic, gripping, touching, awe-inspiring, heart attack indusing, toe curling, spine-chilling, blood curdling, amazing or just plain good entertainment, post the link to it here, and say why you enjoyed it, or passed out while reading it.

And no, you cannot nominate yourself. :P

This thread will be kept open, so people can keep adding.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:15 pm
deleted6 says...

Adam's Atlantis story first one that should be on here. Sorry name not becoming apparent. Hmm... No more can think of. *shrugs*
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Dream Deep says...

"Babushka" by Poor Imp

The Imp has always been a wonderful writer, of course, and I really think that this piece best displays her many talents. Of the characterization, the pacing, the atmosphere and tone, the sheer fineness of the writing, I found not a single aspect lacking. Awe-inspiring and encouraging; this may easily rank among the very best writing ever posted on this website. I love this piece, well... to pieces. ^_^

"Azaleas for Susie" by Areida

Ari has a tendancy to make me want to cry. And I mean that in the best way possible. This story in particular succeeded in ripping my heart out. The depth and evolution of the bond between the sisters which is portrayed here is extraordinarily well-done for such a short piece. Ari remains a master [mistress?] of writing female characters, and my hat's off to her. Disclaimer: Read at your own mental peril. The emotion just runs you over: you will want to cry afterwards.

"The Difference Between Landmines and Time Bombs" by Shriek

A fine example of fiction, a fine example of pacing. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn how to write a tight, polished, lovely short story. Touching, tragic, ironic, interesting; it was a pleasure to read.

"Deep in Mud" by Suzanne

...That is, the stuff of nightmares. 'Chilling', in a word, and this story does a great job of keeping the horror restrained: it's not just hacking, ripping, gnashing, blood-soaked madness; it's subtle and slow and all the more terrifying for its intentional nature.

"the nine lives of allen grey" and "Keeping the Green" by smaur

Is there anything not to say? Two more of those 'epitome-of-a-perfect-story' stories, written with clarity of vision and a certain writerly distance that makes the reader love the character, love the writing and yearn for more of it. Definitely something to read if you'd like to be wowed. I've read both of them about fifty times each and have never commented because I fear I would find myself rambling very much and saying very little about their quality. Utterly inspiring.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:55 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I have a question *raises hand*

Do the stories have to be fairly old/long-running, or can they be new ones that haven't been long/got far into the actual story yet, but are good, or have good potential?

Thanks,

-Kyle
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:37 pm
Twit says...

They can be any ones; old or new, just so long as they're good. ^_^
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:05 am
AWritersFantasy says...

WritersDomain's...Tears? of Lecraesa. Whichever of Tears and Flames she's put up that I read (I don't remember at the moment). The characters are well thought out, as is the storyline, and I can only imagine being at the point of being able to write such amazing characters.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:55 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

By Dreamy: Chair of Wind and Darkness

By Poor Imp: Sans Soleil

By Sam: Pretty Little Rags and Bones & Evil Knows No Buckeyes

By Myth: Poorly Kept Girl

By Areida: untitled 2 and untitled 3

By Jack (Firestarter): Spirited

By Crysi: The Admiral's Journey

By smaur: Keeping the Green & the nine lives of allen grey & Wraith

By Trident: Run Home, Mary

By Suzanne: The Accused

By Misty: Roping Dolls

By Lynlyn: Song of the Shallow Waters
Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II

By something euclidean: the man who lost his shadow

By ئ twit ئ: The Beekeeper

By Sureal: Pandora's Tears

By Writersdomain: Flames of Lecraesa

By Snoink: The Queen of Dolls & The Death Parlor & The Lady and the Unicorn & Demons and Angels

Tada! Those are just the ones off the top of my head.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:28 am
gyrfalcon says...

Deffinatley Chair of Wind and Darkness by Dreamy, and FREAK by Snoink. Sorry I can't do the fancy link thing. I'm sure there are more but those are what jump out at me. I also second the nine lives of allen grey.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:50 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Alright then.

By ئ twit ئ: A Fool's Hope

That's my only one for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more later.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:02 am
Areida says...

Two of my favorites:

Your Coat of Arms is the Lion, by Sumi H. Inkblot

The Queen of Dolls, by Snoink

Many more soon to come!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:36 am
Emerson says...

I second Dreamy's Chair!

[Dreamy: I can't believe you nominated Mud you psycho.]
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:58 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I second Queen of Dolls!

<3 Snoink.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:45 am
NewWriter says...

Absolutely must read TL G-Wooster's Sherlock Holmes fanfics:

THIOBS #1 (The Highly Irregulars Of Baker Street)

THIOBS #2 Seeing is believing

THIOBS #3 Closer than a brother

The Beekeeper

And Kim's Something Out There (which is the story that got me hooked on this site in the first place>)

I'm sorry I don't know how to do the links.
Last edited by NewWriter on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 254
Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:52 am
mikedb1492 says...

I think a good one would be 'I Am Fire' by Prokaryote. Here's the link.
topic26198.html
Its really cool. It starts out a little ominous but ends with a nice bit of humor. I personally loved it.
Trying to get to heaven without Jesus is like climbing to the summit of Mount Everest naked. You die before it happens.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:59 pm
NewWriter says...

I second Prokaryote's I Am Fire.

And Arieda's Azaleas for Susie.
Last edited by NewWriter on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Failure is the mother of all skill.
— LadyMysterio