z

Young Writers Society

Editing for Anthologies

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:04 am
Jiggity says...

So I got an email from the Editor of a Horror Anthology, Read By Dawn v.III and it read like this:

Hi Omar,

Thanks so much for submitting your work to Read by Dawn volume 3 for consideration. Your story, TO ESCAPE A DREAM, has been shortlisted.

We will be sending you notes and comments on your story by November 23, at which stage you will have until the end of the year to resubmit your final version. Being shortlisted at this stage is not a guarantee of selection. When we have all the final versions of the shortlisted stories, we'll make our final choice.

You will hear from us by Tuesday 15 January as to whether or not your story has been selected. Please let me know if you are happy to proceed. We are also happy to send you a blank copy of the contributors' contract for your perusal at any stage in this process. With kindest regards

Adele--

Adele HartleyCurator, Bloody Books and Festival Director, Dead by Dawn, Scotland's International Horror Film FestivalJoin us, April 2008The festival runs in association with Filmhouse (www.filmhousecinema.com)and is a member of the European Fantastic Film Festivals Federation

I got the next email:

Thanks for agreeing to TO ESCAPE A DREAM going forward into our shortlist stages.

We enjoyed your story very much and you now have an opportunity to make any minor edits you feel necessary and submit a revised version of the storyto us by midnight on December 31st.

When you send that email, please make the subject: "To Escape A Dream FINAL VERSION" Please make sure that your email details all changes you have made to your story, or attach your final version with track changes showing.

You will receive acknowledgement of receipt of your final version, and then you will hear from us again by 15 January at the latest as to whether ornot your story has been selected for Volume 3. Very best wishes

My question is this: how much do I edit? I mean, I think it needs a tonne of work but I'm afraid to do it, because it got as far as it did in its present state which is frankly remarkable. So should I, as is suggested, just make the minor edits, or is it too risky for me to do a more major overhaul?
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 am
Sureal says...

Ooh, that's a tricky question. It's a bit of a gamble really - your changes may remove an aspect they liked, and so not get chosen, or your changes may not be extensive enough to get it fully up to scratch, and so not get chosen.

I'd say: go with your instinct. You're a great writer, and your success so far with this anthology is a testament to that; go with what you think is right.
I wrote the above just for you.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:24 am
Jiggity says...

Exactly! It is tricky. The wording of the second email is what makes me hesitant to do anything extensive: "We enjoyed your story very much" (meaning they like it the way it is) and "you now have an opportunity to make any minor edits" (meaning they dont expect it to change too much)

Garh! Maybe thats the standard format of that email, and everyone received such a response though...

*sigh*

Let's hope I get it right, thanks Sur.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

It's crazy how your life can be twisted upside down inside out and around and you can get sushi from safeway still looking like a normal person
— starchild314