z

Young Writers Society

Help for novel?

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:07 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

Well basically I've had this idea for a novel.
Its about this bunch of people and how they don't realise that the way they treat one of their friends and eventually they loose her. Skip all the in between drama and in the end the only guy who was closest to her looses her the worst, by killing her.

OK so I basically know whats going to happen and most of the characters are pretty well developed already. I just can't seem to get things of the gorund. I go to write and just nothing comes. I've written about a page so far.

I really need some help to get this started. Any tips?
“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:22 pm
Pidgin_Princess says...

Get yourself REALLY hyped about your story. I like to scribble random notes about tiny details, then get those on paper. Also, set a reward for yourself. Say for every chapter you finish, you can _______. I like to buy myself chocolate for every couple hundred words. And finally, set up a routine for yourself. It makes it easier to sit down and write every day.

Good luck! I hope to read it soon!
"Do you ever think about dying?"

"No... I prefer to think about living"

--Ana's story by Jenna Bush

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:49 pm
Stori says...

Keep a journal. I do, and i occasionally write ideas in it. So, make it a blank book or a small notebook. Make sure it fits in your pocket.

Otherwise, write whatever comes to mind. Nothing is worthless, even if you don't use it right off.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:50 pm
snap says...

Try not writing it in order. I NEVER write my novels in order. I can't. What's one scene that just runs through your head over and over again that you just can't WAIT until you write about? Write that scene. And take it from there. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Myth says...

Try writing a sketch, so you can get to know your characters--one for each if possible.

I also was going to suggest Snap's idea. Write the parts you can visualise and the other sections will come in time, forcing ideas won't do any good.

Another thing you can do is draw. Doodles help a lot, you don't have to be a great artist but if you know what something is supposed to look like or mean then you'll have no problem writing.

Reading this little input into your novel reminds me of a brilliant play: An Inspector Calls. Read it if you like.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:30 am
Meep says...

NaNoWriMo!

Seriously, if it can get me writing, it can get anyone writing. I am the worst procrastinator - I'm procrastinating now, actually - but the challenge of writing 50,000 words in a month is a fun one, and it comes with a social environment (ie: the forums) to commiserate with your fellow NaNoWriMo participants.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:55 pm
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

Write every detail about every character, no matter how irrelevant they seem. Know your characters like you know yourself. It sounds like you have a character-driven story going on, so this might be helpful for you. If you have trouble coming up with believable/unique traits, it really helps to study astrology, or even psychology. I know you can do it!
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:50 am
chocoholic says...

Set yourself goals about how much you write. Like, I try to write one page each day. More than often I find that I'm so into the story that I end up writing more.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal