z

Young Writers Society

How does one write a battle scene?

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:43 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

This is my biggest bad-spot, writingwise. Dialogue? Fine. Character-development? Acceptable. Ability to describe scenes well? Pretty good.

Action scenes? Shoot me before I have to give you an example, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

This is partially because I'm in a few storybooks and battle scenes are something of a requirement, and because the storyline for Kismet will be demanding a battle sooner or later, as with Geezer's Property and an idea-in-the-dough, The House of Crescents Valiant.

Tips, anyone? I'm trying for gunfights for Kismet, a Dark-Ages sort of battle for Valiant and those tips can sort of work for GP.

Thanks!
ohmeohmy

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:47 pm
Cabassi_Crime_Family says...

Ciao Sumi.

Have you talked to Jack (Firestarter)? Credo che he's written an article on battles, and it was more than good; genius.

But when it comes down to battles, you have to shift pace and focus, more often than not. A lot can be helped by breaking sentences and knowing your endpoint. Like any good piece. But with a battle, be sure to be aiming for your climax and breaking point.

Wait a moment, I'll get the link to Jack's article.

CCF
Sono La Famiglia, Capici?

Need a critique? Look here for more Information
CCF Critique Shop

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:49 pm
Cabassi_Crime_Family says...

Winning the Battle by Jack.

Lifesaver, that. Buona fortuna and if you have any questions, feel free.

CCF
Sono La Famiglia, Capici?

Need a critique? Look here for more Information
CCF Critique Shop

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:51 pm
Firestarter says...

Haha, I was just about to answer and link to my article.

That covers most advice I have. However, if you have any more individual questions that the article doesn't deal with, ask away and I'll answer as best as I can.

I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I read a lot of battle scenes and I've written a fair few.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:17 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Ah, thanks, Jack and CCF!

I need to go back to the library now. LOL. :D
ohmeohmy

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:29 pm
alleycat13 says...

I read nearly all of that article, and I have to say that it was really good. Most of the battles I've written have been one-on-one. I don't know what you plan to write, but for duels I have some advice. (I may be repeating things you already know, if so, sorry).

Obviously, if its a duel, its probably the climax of the battle or struggle or whatever it is. And, for me, I find that the most successful battle/climax scenes are the concise ones. Tell what needs to be told, nothing more or less. If you're thinking of using a word or phrase you've never used or need to look up, forget it. No one wants to be distracted or have a super long, boring climax.

Change points of view. What I like to do is--if combatant 1 shots/slashes/attacks combatant 2, follow the motion. The reader is imagining 1 attacking 2, so go with their minds' eye. Follow the attack and block, and change POV.

Maybe it sounds childish, maybe superficial, but it works for me--pretend its a movie. Picture the scene and get the pacing. If there's an amazing dodge by one character or an awe-inspiring charge, which would be featured in slow motion in the movie, then describe it in slow motion (not slowly, but with more detail and/or sentences).

Environment. If your duel is on a castle-top, use the fear of falling to your death as fuel for the fight. If it takes place in a cluttered room, have your combatants hurl random stuff (this can be humorous, if you want it to be). Your battle takes place in the forest. Cool. Have them dodge behind trees, trip over logs, get snared in thorn bushes. Punish your fighters with the environment.

Along with that-- Don't keep your battle in the same little 5x6 area. Use all the space available. Rooms--use the walls, ceilings, staircases, not just the floor. Forests--have one fighter bolt, and the other give chase. Make them jump a river. Ect.

Experience and rejection. It's simple, the more you write battle scenes, the better you get. Me, I normally write at least 3 different versions/scripts of each scene. Don't be afraid to do the same. You may come to a point where the hero has to choose--save the damsel or rescue his pal. Write both and see which one speaks to you.

So, hopefully that was helpful. Good luck!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:53 pm
greenjay says...

Well, looks like I've been beat to it :D. I read Jack's article as well, and it was very helpful. I do have a few suggestions I might point out though.

Treat it just like any other scene: describe the surroundings, the character's feelings, and (most important) the character's actions. In the story I'm working on now, I ONLY describe the character's actions during the battle scenes. This, I have found, leads to VERY boring battle. Example: Bob stabbed the man in the stomach and he dropped dead on the floor. Jumping forward our hero cut down on the man before him. He spun around and sent his blade through yet another man's throat, killing him intantly...bored yet? It's like in those old stories, "He breaketh his lance upon Sir Bob's shield and foresooth, breaketh his lance upon his foe once more." PLEASE don't do this like I did in my story. It stinks *cough.*

Um...that's the only thing I can think of right now, but I hope it helped :D!

-GJ
the greenjay strikes again...

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
— Solomon Short