z

Young Writers Society

Dragging action

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Mon May 14, 2007 3:18 pm
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

When I went back to edit my novel, I found that the action drags...at the climax! I think it might be because of the numerous pitiful attempts at humor. Any advice on how to get the pages turning?
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Fri May 18, 2007 3:11 pm
Imelda says...

Advice, advice ... Well it's tough without seeing it first hand, but ... if you suspect it's the humour aspects, cut them. Read through every line, humour or not, and analyse them to decide whether it's really necessary. In an action-y climax, it's hugely important to keep the flow going, so often you should cut out extraneous description that might well be perfect in any other scene.

There is, of course, the classic method of using short, snappy sentences to speed things up, but personally I prefer it to be used sparingly.

The technique you use to speed it up largely depends on how you've written the rest of your novel.

If you want me to take a look at the ending, I'd be happy to slot you into my critting schedule somewhere and see if I can help.

And your avatar is creeping me out. :)

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun May 20, 2007 8:25 pm
Writersdomain says...

I second everything Imelda said. Dragging action - ah, there are many things that can lead to this.

I'll give you a few things to look for and hope it helps out:

1. Dragging Sentences. I think Imelda mentioned this, but when you are in the middle of an action scene, you don't want a paragraph-long sentence. Try shortening your sentence up a bit to make the actions flow better. (I'm a very bad violator of this rule. :P )

2. No Sight-Seeing. When you're in the middle of an action scene, don't halt the action and plunge into a long descriptive paragraph. Description is good, but long-winded description is not good for action scenes. Also, don't go into long, detailed introduction of characters during an action scene. If you introduce a character in one, have them show up, but don't go into an entire paragraph about their appearance and all (though you shouldn't do that anyway). Instead, characterize them through actions in the scene and describe a bit later.

3. Don't Overstretch Yourself. If the actions scene takes place on a more cast scale (as in a battle scene), don't try to overstretch yourself. Focus on one thing at a time and make things as clear as possible. Don't jump from character to character too often though of you'll baffle the reader.

4. Rushing. As strange as it may sound, rushing can make the action drag. Take your time making your sentences clear in an action scene - don't let them pass by vague and unclear or you will confused the reader and the action will drag.

5. No Revoultionary Introspection. If you're writing first person, don't go into a long, introspective rant in the middle of an actions scene. This is all right when you mean for the actions to pause or jar, but if it happens often, it drags.

6. Plan Your Scenes. Plan the action ahead of time so you can lead up to it efficiently and conclude it without it being awkward.

If I think of anything else, I'll edit it in. I can't really give you any specific suggestions as I haven't read this dragging action (and it's very hard to suggest such a broad thing as dragging action unless the causes are diagnosed). Hope this helps!

~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon May 21, 2007 2:12 am
Wiggy says...

You took the words right out of my mouth!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle