z

Young Writers Society

Top 100 Outrage!!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:55 pm
Jiggity says...

Angus & Robertson just released the new Top 100 Books list. Over 75,000 nominations from book sellers and readers across the nation help form this list. At number one, the Harry Potter series. 2. The Da Vinci Code. 3. Lord of the Rings. 4. Pride and Prejudice. 5. To Kill a Mockingbird.

At first, the list seems fine, but then what do I see at number 19? Eragon.

It was infront of The Hobbit for gods sake!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

I offically denounce my people as complete and utter fools. I disown them. From now on, I am my own nationality: Writorian! Or somesuch. I dont really care, Im just not Australian.

I'm so p***ed off right now, I propose we cut off Paolini's hands so he can never write again. :evil:
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:09 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

I'll join your nation of Writoria, or whatever you decide to call it.

What do you expect? If you've been into an Angus & Robertson lately you'll know exactly why their list is so crappy. How are they supposed to great novels on their list when I can't even buy them at their store? Aside from Catch-22, I've never been able to find any of the greats in there.

I've simply given up on them.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:41 pm
Charlie II says...

... The Da Vinci code? Number 2? That really does explain why Eragon is at number 19! I suppose this is because it's the top selling books and not the best books. What a shame, I loved The Hobbit!

Oh yeah. Can I have Paolini's left hand once you've done with it? I could use it in my art project :wink:

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:55 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

It's lists like this that make me lose faith in the intelligence of the human race. Eragon should be nowhere near that list, and Da Vinci Code should definitely not be number 2. The two top spots should be filled, in my opinion, by HP and LOTR, with His Dark Materials somewhere in the top 10. Ridiculous.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:04 pm
Emerson says...

They should really say top 100 of this century because they have forgotten classics all together...

I still haven't read it [but I finally got a good translation!] but I've heard the The Brother's Karamazov is the best book ever. I've also heard The Fountainhead is the best book ever, which I also have a copy of but haven't read. I've also have Anna Karenina is the best book ever.

The two top spots should be filled, in my opinion, by HP and LOTR, with His Dark Materials somewhere in the top 10.

Harry Potter is number one? I'm going to be stoned for this [oh well] but Harry Potter is mud to any of the aforementioned books. [I will probably be stoned for this, too.] I hope Twilight wasn't on the list.

If they were doing top 100 of our time then... maybe. Even though LOTR isn't of our time. Actually, I have no idea, when was it written? And I think DL is right, these are best selling, not the best... Of course, they could be ignoring literary value all together, which would explain a lot.
Last edited by Emerson on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:06 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

At least P&P and HP are on there. BUT THE @#($)@(*^%(#(*@)(*%@#&)%^(@#*% DA VINCI CODE?!?!!?!?!And Eragon? Ye gods....

I hope some of Scalzi, Orson Scott Card or...like...Morris books were on there! Anyone got a link?
ohmeohmy

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:11 pm
Firestarter says...

I still haven't read it [but I finally got a good translation!] but I've heard the The Brother's Karamazov is the best book ever. I've also heard The Fountainhead is the best book ever, which I also have a copy of but haven't read. I've also have Anna Karenina is the best book ever.

Maybe you should make your own decisions? I've heard almost every book be described by every critic, random stranger, friend etc. called the best book ever.

I don't think Harry Potter should be in the top ten. Probably the top one hundred, just for an imaginative, enthralling children's book, but nothing more. Lord of the Rings should be there or there abouts, but Da Vinci Code and Eragon shouldn't even be being talked about.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:14 pm
Sean Pendr says...

i personally think that that list is entirly wrong and anyone who discredits poalini's work is just jealous that he was so succesful in a time of 3 years and at his young age. take that bleah! :(
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:14 pm
Wiggy says...

Thank you guys. NO DA VINCI CODE!!!! That book is the stupidest thing ever written...*flames*

At least Pride and Prejudice is on there.

BUT WHERE'S GONE WITH THE WIND?????
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:19 pm
Firestarter says...

i personally think that that list is entirly wrong and anyone who discredits poalini's work is just jealous that he was so succesful in a time of 3 years and at his young age. take that bleah!

Yep, I am pretty jealous his parents own a publishing company, thus allowing him to get published early, thus allowing him to be noticing, also allowing him to be introduced to other publishers. Moral: knowing the right people = good. That doesn't make his writing good, and it undermines the whole system the rest of writers are forced to go through (manuscripts where agents/editor don't know the person, and haven't been recommended). It's a tough world, and I'm not complaining, Paolini is lucky and fair play to him. But that does not make his writing good.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

280 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:24 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hear, hear.
ohmeohmy

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:24 pm
Sean Pendr says...

im not saying it does its just his books have been read by millions of people and have translations in almost every language, not to discredit tolkien but Paolini has more translations than him plus with a private publisher your book has to be goo to be recognised even if you know the right people.
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

280 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:29 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Not necessarily. :ticks off fingers: Bias, bribes, blurbs...it depends on what you like, but I personally like something with more originality then Paolini.
ohmeohmy

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:32 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Sean Pendr wrote:i personally think that that list is entirly wrong and anyone who discredits poalini's work is just jealous that he was so succesful in a time of 3 years and at his young age. take that bleah! :(

Of course I'm jealous. What aspiring writer wouldn't want to be part of a publishing family? It just goes to show that, no matter what, if you know the right people you can get what you want. Had he been forced to take the route the rest of us are obliged to, you wouldn't see his books anywhere near the shelves.

Sean Pendr wrote:im not saying it does its just his books have been read by millions of people and have translations in almost every language, not to discredit tolkien but Paolini has more translations than him plus with a private publisher your book has to be goo to be recognised even if you know the right people.

The only reason for his astounding success is marketing. He went round all of America marketing his books. This also goes to show just how good marketing and advertising can sell anything. And being publishe privately means nothing of the sort. It just means you have a family that are willing to take a gamble just to please you.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:33 pm
Dreami says...

Paolini's character Brom said it himself - you can pay off pretty much everyone with bribes.

;-p The book list is pretty messed up.

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues