z

Young Writers Society

question

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm
broken-image says...

how many pages makes up a chapter?
Don't tell me im a idiot or kick me like a stray!
ITS A COMPLEMENT I SWEAR!
:D

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:43 pm
Shine says...

Not really the write place to post this.

Try it in 'Fiction Discussion & Tips'.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:24 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

There is no set rule on how many pages make a chapter. It depends on when you feel the chapter is complete.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:39 pm
Emerson says...

I'll elaborate on what Clouds said.

There is no set "page number" for a chapter. Chapters start and end when it seems the right place. Like, you wouldn't end a chapter in the middle of a car chase, unless it was for suspense. It's also something to note, that many people don't count story/novel/book length in page numbers, but rather, in word count. That's what publishers go by.

Chapters can be as long, or as short, as you want. You can even go ahead and not have chapters. I wrote my NaNoWriMo in five parts, and the only thing other than those were breaks in the text. I had no chapters at all.

So really, it is up to you.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:55 am
Cassandra says...

Chapters should really be stories in themselves: a beginning, a middle, and end. Sometimes you can end a chapter with something suspenseful or shocking to keep the reader reading, but other times you might decide to end it with more finality. Either way, end it where it feels right to you, and you can always go back and adjust it later. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:33 am
Alteran says...

The idea is to (As Cassandra said) have a story within the story. Chapters are supposed to rise to the climax of that chapter and then allow for a fall. Then in the next chapter it rises a little higher to second minor climax. This si to keep readers interested and it helps build suspense to the main climax of the novel.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Esmé says...

Chapters, ah, chapters. I write e.g. 'Chapter Three' mostly so i can say that I wrote Chapter 2, lol.

-But I agree with what everyone else says. You as the writer have to know when the chapter ends. Sometimes it may be a new course of action, a new character, or just your fancy, lol.

-elein

A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea.
— Honore de Balzac