z

Young Writers Society

What influenced you to write what you are writing right now?

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:08 am
Esmé says...

Seriously don’t know whether this is supposed to be here, but it is discussion, isn’t it?

Well, my question is, as in the subject: How did you start writing you story/book/novel. What influenced you to do it? Was it a dream? Or where you just sitting in front of the computer screen/ paper and thinking fervently about something to write about? Maybe it was something someone said? School assignment? Or was it a good movie/book? I know, this can go on and on so I’ll just stop here.

So?..

-elein

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 pm
tinny says...

At the moment I'm writing a fantasy piece called Weaver's Blood originaly inspired by my little sister. She'd drawn a map and wanted to write a story about it, so I drew myself a copy, came up with something and then told her she couldn't use it because I was going to. A lot of my ideas come from dreams too. Very strange dreams...
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:17 pm
Emerson says...

To Keep No Secrets: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. More of the style, I guess, than anything, because the stories aren't too similar. And I'd hope that no one would notice! In fact only the people who know I like Nabokov can tell I'm writing like Nabokov (though not exactly, I still have my own style!)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:36 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

One of the pieces I'm writing (by writing, I mean staring at the screen for hours with not much activity), called Self-Immolation, was inspired by a camp I went on. It was a church camp, and me being cynically agnostic about the whole thing led me to think about a story loaded with religious dogma and brainwashing. Note that my opinion of religion isn't that bad, I just decided to take the it to extremes. 8)

Another story I have partially written, called Zero, was inspired by the name Zero itself. I really like how the name sounds, but I was struggling to understand how someone could actually name their son Zero when it basically means he is nothing. Then I realized that some people actually believe that they are nothing, and it spawned the opening line that has greeted me each frustrating time I open that darn word document:
Zero, he named himself...

I considered adding the words 'banana tree', but it didn't have the same effect.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:54 pm
Via says...

Last summer I took a trip to Nashville, Tennessee and fell in love with the city. The story that I am writing is set in Nashville. That was really my sole influence. :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

571 Reviews

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:09 pm
Esmé says...

As it was me who started the thread, I suppose I should answer the question, lol.

My inspiration came from my family, lol. The Queen’ Family. No, seriously. I had this big argument with them, so basically I started to write about some family. Of course, it’s not about MY family (it would be just boring), lol. Basically, it’s about a girl who blah blah blah (no details, not here anyways) whose whole family at one point or another tried to kill one another. Lol. -It’s set in a medieval-like world, so I suppose I should mention my interest to the middle ages, lol.

-elein

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:09 pm
Wiggy says...

I was sitting at the top of our street, thinking about a list of countries to set my novel in. I narrowed it down to 10, then 5, then 1. I chose Russia. Unfortunately, that story never took wing, and I'd had an idea set in Ireland that had been plaguing me when I was planning my other story. So, poof-Fineena O'Malley is born. I've been getting to know her, hate her, and love her all over this past year. And I plan to do much more of that over the coming months! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:14 pm
Myth says...

Little Tin Fish wrote:She'd drawn a map and wanted to write a story about it, so I drew myself a copy, came up with something and then told her she couldn't use it because I was going to.

A bit mean, eh, Fish? XD

My novel came from depression and memories I wanted to keep alive because they were horrible and scared me to death. Recently I've had a lot of nightmares but eventually they have been added as ideas, things go well when I'm afraid or feeling low.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:53 pm
Snoink says...

For FREAK: I'm not writing it now, but I'm in the publishing stages, I guess. Anyway, I listened to Matt Drudge talking about genetically mutated humans and the idea eventually grew into a spare idea I thought was cool. It was originally going to be just writing practice, but then I had a slight nervous breakdown and wanted to write SOMETHING to do something else, so FREAK was handy. I wrote the beginning several times, was unsatisfied, and finally was kicked into writing it. Yay!

For Unicorn Killers: The novel I'm preparing now. It originally came by reading several unicorn novels and thinking, "OMG! I want to write a novel with unicorns!" But I have a twisted sense of storytelling and, though originally the unicorns were good, they eventually became... um... not so good. They were, for a little while, evil, but now they're neutral. Not evil, not good. I'm not quite sure how that was caused, but I think it had to do with FREAK in some way. Yay?!

So yeah. I have a bunch of other ideas on hold, but that's about it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:56 pm
piepiemann22 says...

The influence for my novel came from a lot of places. The story, or plot came from a dream. But all the characters are based on my friends. Then the twists of the story came from watching to much anime as kid.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

571 Reviews

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:34 am
Esmé says...

quote:
For Unicorn Killers: The novel I'm preparing now. It originally came by reading several unicorn novels and thinking, "OMG! I want to write a novel with unicorns!"

And the whole rest of the paragraph, lol. Sounds interesting! And good luck on FREAK, even though I've never read it :)

-elein

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:12 am
bubblewrapped says...

Basically, my novel (haha! I feel so professional! But, seriously, it's just an idea right now :oops:) was inspired by a dream I had. I think. I have lots of dreams which become story ideas, because my mind is just weird that way. But I'm not sure if this one was. Um. I sound insane. Let me start this again.

The thing (whatever it may become) I'm working on right now was inspired by the germ of an idea that sprouted in my brain, either from a dream or from getting hit on the head, or something equally commonplace. Basically, I love fiction set in the Victorian Era. But basically I thought that most of the books I've read on the subject err in making their characters too modern, and giving them secret feminist personae under all the petticoats, or err in making them TOO Victorian - as in, they're more manners than people.

So I wanted to write something which would simultaneously show womens' power in the 19th century, and also womens' oppression. I wanted to show that they were people behind the frippery, but that they werent necessarily aware of themselves as such. I mean, being brought up to believe your entire sex is inferior does not just come out in the wash, you know what I'm saying?

Ahem. I'm ranting. Sorry. But simply put it was my frustration with the current literature and romanticized view of the Victorian era that made me want to explore what it was *really* like, through my main character (who does not, at this point, have a name). I wanted to explore the transition from girl to woman, and especially her journey to the realization that she's not as inferior as she once believed. Essentially I wanted to write a story about gaining self-respect. And I have stayed up past midnight to write this for no good reason, so I'm going now. LOL.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

571 Reviews

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:15 am
Esmé says...

Interesting! Are you going to post it?

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:47 pm
Lilyy03 says...

The, um, "novel" I've just started working on did sprout from a dream. Originally. Though I've tweaked it so much that it only retains some vague basic concept from the dream.
It's also influenced by some fantasy and historical fiction I've read, the first few scenes of King Kong... and lots of other random stuff.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:11 pm
xtenx says...

I'm working on a trilogy now, and I'm still not sure what inspired it. I've always liked writing and I knew I wanted to write a novel- and then I just began reading, and reading- seeing the way so many authors created their own worlds made me want to do the same thing. So I decided I would start working on a fantasy series, and I began to develop the location. When I began doing that I realized I had no storyline...which was obviously a problem :roll: but then it just came to me, and now it's all falling into place. It's really complex, but I love it. I have all 3 stories planned and I'm pretty deep into the first now. I'll probably begin posting it when I am further into it, just to get a feel for what people think.

Inertia wrote:Another story I have partially written, called Zero, was inspired by the name Zero itself. I really like how the name sounds, but I was struggling to understand how someone could actually name their son Zero when it basically means he is nothing. Then I realized that some people actually believe that they are nothing, and it spawned the opening line that has greeted me each frustrating time I open that darn word document:
Zero, he named himself...

That sounds really interesting..is it posted here anywhere?
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf