z

Young Writers Society

Who is your all-time favourite fantasy hero/villan?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:05 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

I am very bored, and decided to start this thread.

Who is your all-time favourite fantasy hero?

Favourite villan?

My coice for hero? Samwise Gamgee (LOTR). I love heros that you'd never expect to be heros at first, but always end up saving the world (Frodo would've never gotten to Mount Doom without good 'ole Sam there).

Villan? Probably Severus Snape (Harry Potter). He's the character everyone loves to hate, and I loved how J.K.R made us wonder whether he was good or evil for six whole books until we finally found out the truth.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:44 am
bubblewrapped says...

Hmm. That's actually a really tricky question, LOL. At the moment, my choices are:

HERO -- Artemis Fowl

I like Artemis because he's intelligent. And he's not your typical hero, either. He's a criminal genius and he starts out as being quite cold and logical, which is what gets him into trouble in the first place. I guess I like the fact that he uses his brain. And that it's such a super brain, LMAO.

VILLAIN -- I cant decide. I think I'll have to get back to you on that one.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:18 pm
Swires says...

Favourite Hero - Bilbo Baggins From the Hobbit

Villain - Snape or Voldy OR Skirmig from Talyn(Masterpiece)
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:06 pm
backgroundbob says...

Fantasy, eh?

Well, Gandalf has always been a personal favourite, he's just too cool to be real (plus he's an angel: I mean, classy or what?), but there are a few others - I've always thought Will Parry from His Dark Materials was a great downplayed hero, and !Xabbu from Tad William's Otherland is just plain amazing on all fronts. I'm a fan of most of Guy Gavriel Kay's characters, but Ammar ibn Khairan probably outclasses them all as a personal best.

Villian-wise (and oh! there are many), it's hard to get badder than Morgoth from Tolkien's Silmarillion, though probably Siawn-Hy from The Song of Albion by Stephen Lawhead and (a special love of mine) Lecanus Daleinus from the spectacular Sarantine Mosaic certainly have a good try.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:25 pm
Firestarter says...

Hero has to be Druss or Skilgannon, both David Gemmell creations, just because there's not much better than an axe-wielding maniac and a guy with two swords. Yes, it's been done before, but never as good and never as funny.

Villain? Not a lot of villains are all that memorable to me, they're usually quite cheesy and always, always stupid. However, there is always Mrs.Coulter (yes, I know she ends up not so bad in the end).
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

34 Reviews

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:18 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

Firestarter wrote: and a guy with two swords.

Ya, that would be my uber hot avatar. *drools* Sorry, I have a thing for Orlando Bloom. *drools again*

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:38 am
Duskglimmer says...

Favorite Hero:

Samwise Gamgee has always been at the top of my list, but seeing as he's already been mentioned, I'll go the next in line.

Tamora Pierce's Keladry Mindelan. She a master at self-control, probably one of the things that I lack most. Because of that, she's always been someone I admired. Also, she just always felt like the author was having fun writing her character.

Favorite Villian:

Gah. There are so many, and I spent so much time hating them. I can't possibly pick.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:39 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Favorite Hero?

I'd have to say Aragorn, since he displays the rugged hero type best. But heroes in general are pretty generic.

My favorite Villian is Professor Umbridge. Sauron may have been evil, but he didn't make me want to reach into the book and throttle his neck. Umbridge did that for me.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:25 am
Jiggity says...

Facourite Hero ... geez thats hard, Id mention Gemmel's finest but its been done and in truth my favourite is: Arithon Teir s'Ffalen, from the Wars of Light and Shadow. You just cant get better than him.

Im going to agree with Grif, well kinda. I hate her the most, stupid Umbridge, god I came so close to tearing the book apart lol.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

614 Reviews

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:53 pm
Swires says...

I never thought of Umbridge, she is a super villain yes.

34 Reviews

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:12 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

Griffinkeeper wrote: Sauron may have been evil, but he didn't make me want to reach into the book and throttle his neck.

He didn't really have one at the time the books took place, but I get your point.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:30 am
Elelel says...

HERO - uh ... I don't know. Probably Artemis Fowl, because he's the bad guy at the same time (well, in the first book). I've always liked the bad guys more.

I did always like Sam from LOTR though. Very awesome when he resuces Frodo from the orc watchtower thing.

Maybe, while I'm thinking about LOTR, Eoywen too. Because I always LOVED that bit where she kills the wraith king guy when he says no man can kill him and she says she's not a man.

VILLIAN - Umbridge. Grif got there before me, but I just think she's so awesome I have to say her. APPART from her being so unreasonable and creul to Harry and everyone, she's also on the good side. Well. Close enough. She's not in the order of the Phoenix or anything, but she's not working with Voldy. I do admire a villain on the good side.

AND GOLLUM!!! We all love poor Smegol! He was awesome. Very awesome. And he was fighting his bad personality, but it won in the end. Aww.

But Sauron sucked as a villain. So he sent out big armies of orcs to take over the world of men. So what? What's threatening about a giant eye on a tower? Saruman and the ringwraiths, now they were good villains.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:44 pm
The Jesseble says...

HERO - Bartimaeus from The bartimaeus trilogy (Jonathan Stroud) He's so sarcastic and moans about everything but he always ends up being the good guy....it's alway great to have a funny hero XD

Oh and the typical hero - Good ol' harry Potter. It's about time there was a hero whow likes playing the hero but then denies it! Plus, everyone can relate to him, especially when you see him grow up into a grumpy teenager ^^

VILLIAN - Draco Malfoy.....a classy villian who just seems to be having a really bad time acting evil. He's such a noob!

and where are book villians without Umbridge!!
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:01 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Hmm, tricky.

Hero - Anyone who knows me would assume that I would go for Harry Potter, but he tends to get a bit annoying with his mood swings. I like Lyra, from His Dark Materials, and yes, Sam is the real hero from LOTR, but I'd have to go for Gandalf - he's just so cool! Oh ye, there's no forgetting Gollum, cause really it's thanks to him that the ring gets destroyed. Stupid Frodo just standing there with a smile on his face!

Villain - There's lots to choose from. Sauron is one of the nasties, although he doesn't appear to have much brains. You would have thought he would have had the sense to put the Nazgul on their dragon thingies before, would have saved all the hastle. Voldemort, of course, he's so ruthless, he's definitely one of the top. And also I think the Overlords in Garth Nix's 'Shade's Children,' the fact that they take children, cut them up and use their body parts to make war creatures is vile. And they all have their own colour!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

614 Reviews

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Swires says...

Gandalf is a likable Hero, I admit. He ranks high on the likability list.

coffee and writing is a superior duo
— LadyBug