Young Writers Society

Influences?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:20 am
Snoink says...

Who are your main influences for writing? :D

I have to say, one of mine is Bill Watterson. His stuff was one of the first I ever read, and for better or worse, the huge amount of crazy imagination put in his work, yet delicacy of it, has remained one of my strongest influences ever.

What about you? :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:56 am
Cassandra says...

Everyone's going to hate me for saying it, but the Harry Potter series were the first books that actually inspired me to write and to try writing. As for other stuff...I liked how in My Sister's Keeper Jodi Picoult used point of view, so I'm doing something similar in my NaNo novel...yeah.
Last edited by Cassandra on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:59 am
Emerson says...

Now I hate you Cassandra! Just kidding :-D

Oscar Wilde. Because I love him with a passion that is unyielding! although, he inspires my style. What inspired me to write was probably...I'm not sure why I wrote at first. But certainly, Oscar Wilde pushed me to my 'good' point, the point where I kind-of-sort-of got a style of my own.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:39 am
Poor Imp says...

Most enduring influence?

...I suppose Dostoyevsky, Tolkien, Dumas...and perhaps Lloyd Alexander. Though sometimes, for certain things, Douglas Adams. He slips in.

--
Everyone's going to hate me for saying it, but the Harry Potter series were the first books that actually inspired me to write and to try writing. As for other stuff...I liked how in My Sister's Keeper Jodi Piccoult used point of view, so I'm doing something similar in my NaNo novel...yeah.

Harry Potter? But you don't write a bit like Rowling--more like Picoult, I think, if either, and better than dear J.K. ^_~
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:47 am
Myth says...

Joan Aiken and Diana Wynne Jones. I still read their books and love 'em.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:47 am
Poor Imp says...

Myth wrote:Joan Aiken and Diana Wynne Jones. I still read their books and love 'em.

Diana Wynne Jones...I forgot her. Howl is hilariously brilliant. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:51 am
Myth says...

I love that book! Though I prefer the Chrestomanci series.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:14 pm
S says...

J.D Salinger!! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:23 pm
Cassandra says...

Poor Imp wrote:
Everyone's going to hate me for saying it, but the Harry Potter series were the first books that actually inspired me to write and to try writing. As for other stuff...I liked how in My Sister's Keeper Jodi Piccoult used point of view, so I'm doing something similar in my NaNo novel...yeah.

Harry Potter? But you don't write a bit like Rowling--more like Picoult, I think, if either, and better than dear J.K. ^_~

Hee hee. Thanks, Imp. I'm thinking there must be other big influences in my writing that would be easier to make a connection to, but I can't actually think of any at the moment, as luck would have it. XD
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:51 pm
backgroundbob says...

I don't know if I'd have ever written or even seriously read poetry if it hadn't been for a chance encounter with Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson: reading through that is all the inspiration I'll ever need.

As for writing style, well: Guy Gavriel Kay, Orson Scott Card, T. H. White; for poetry, probably Tennyson and Heaney.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:02 am
Alteran says...

Robert Jordon influenced me a lot. The way he goes from one character to another in his novels gave me some great ideas.

But Rowling gave the final push to put the pencil in my hand and start writing.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:44 pm
jearjioe says...

For me it is deffenatly the Lord of the Rings series and the Redwall novels. They shaped the style of writing that I write.

Also, this might sound weird but being bored. I started writing my book when I was sick and had nothing to do. From there I just kept writing.

Another thing that influences my writing is my mood. I only write when I'm relaxed because if I were to write when I was in any other mood, my writing would have major mood swings.

Jearjioe

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:28 pm
bubblewrapped says...

I have no idea. Seriously. I mean, I'm influenced by pretty much every book I read, but to list them all is pretty much impossible and I cant pinpoint any one novelist/poet that really sticks out -- at least not so far as style goes. Ideas, well, I'm mostly a Gone With The Wind person, LOL. The whole war/conflict of interests/romance-amidst-greater-things kind of approach sticks with me whenever I'm coming up with new ideas. Plus, Scarlett is such a selfish you-know-what that I find the idea of creating a character in her image irresistable. But then, I'm weird that way.

Oh, and Bill Watterson is brilliant. 'Nuff said. :D
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:31 pm
Fishr says...

Ahh... I don't remember anymore, as sad as that may sound.

I don't believe there has been one writer that has created such an impact on my writing style. Usually what happens, is retaliation. I read, of course, but if I read an excellent book, I want to rise above that writing style (maybe mimic it slightly) and make it my own. I retaliate, and usually say to myself, "Ahh... this paragraph/sentence/character/plot/setting etc. sucks! I can writer better than that! What a jerk!" Even if the novel is superb, I usually knock it down hill, and that's my driving force to improve, lol!

Yes, I'm :twisted: . But I've mentioned also, I'm an unorthdox writer too.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:40 pm
Wiggy says...

I'm with bubbles. Gone with the Wind is my main influence, and I love any book with adventure, romance, the whole nine yards.

Specific authors? Hmm, that's actually hard to pinpoint. I think I digest a little of each author I read, but mostly Austen, Dostoyevsky, Dumas, Mitchell...all those greats. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
— Albus Dumbledore