z

Young Writers Society

Feeling Possessive of Books?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:04 pm
Cassandra says...

I dunno, maybe I'm the only one who feels possessive of certain books.

So what sparked this thought? On IM, an acquaintance of mine's away message read, and I quote: "life of pi essay, bbl". My first thought was that people who type like that should not be allowed anywhere near such a great book as Life of Pi. You see, I read the book last summer for enjoyment and loved it, but many times, those of the population who are not writers and/or avid readers don't particularly like books they are assigned in school.

Take Lord of the Flies by William Golding, for example. My Forms of Lit class is reading it right now: I read it last year on my own. I love the book, especially on this second reading, and the vast majority of the rest of the class hates it. They don't understand why the boys would ever become uncivilized enough to kill anyone or anything. O.O

I feel like these books are MY books, in a sort of way. It's so weird to read them in school and have discussions in class, when before it was just me and my ideas about the book. Now I have the teacher telling me how I should interpret different metaphors and everything, and how all of these characters represent different things and so on.

Anyone ever feel like this? Like you just want to go back to having a favorite book be yours to privately enjoy?
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:02 am
Revere says...

I think I get what you mean.

I don't like when we get to choose our books for a book report, because when you have to do all the analyzing and stuff it sort of sucks the fun out of reading it. I agree with you, I would rather just read it, instead of think so hard about it.

But I don't like it when we have assigned books to read. I have literally always disliked every book a teacher made me read. They always choose things that are so below my reading level, that I only have to skim through it and I get perfectly good marks on my reports on it.

I guess you could say I don't like book reports in general :wink: .

To the point, I do agree with you, and can relate.
Last edited by Revere on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"[Maybe] If they don't light it, it can never go out."
^Mary, from Heat

>Previously known as green_river<

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:08 am
Via says...

I agree.

I hate when people say things like they hate The Lord of the Flies. I, myself, am not exactly a fan of the book--but at least I can appreciate the symbolism and signifigance of it.

I hate people making accusations about great books without even knowing anything about it.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:13 am
Broken Wings says...

I completely agree.

I get VERY possessive of books, but only when someone doesn't like them. I love discussing a book with a fellow fan of it, but if someone has just said they hate the book I get very...well...sensative about it.

Like the Warriors series, by Erin Hunter. If someone reads a quarter of the first book and says they don't like it, I feel like slapping them. I just don't understand how any can't NOT like those books.

A few other books I'm just plain possessive about. Say Eragon, for instance. Yes, millions and millions of people have read it, and liked it. But whenever I see someone carrying the book, or talking about, I have to join in. And I have to admit, I hog up the conversation trying to prove I liked it better and know more about it.

So, Cassandra, you are not alone.
"Admitting that you don't like reading is admitting that you don't have an imagination." -- Broken Wings

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:58 am
backgroundbob says...

I accepted a long time ago that there are an immense number of complete and utter philestines in the world.

As such, when people express such opinions, I find the correct response is to get up, walk away and refuse any further contact except at gunpoint.

etc.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 am
Emerson says...

Cass, you should know though that each of the characters are made to represent *insert what it is here* I forget what it is though. It was written that way.

I don't mind when I'm made to analyze books, I do that on my own anyways. I mind when people don't appreciate the beauty of literature. But at the same time I know I'm smart than them when it comes to reading. I actually like to read. THey can't stand it, they can't interpret anything. So maybe thats why they don't appreciate it.

And we live in a my space generation (seriously) no one cares about books ,its not instant. Books are slow, long and boring. But i find an enjoyment in them beyond anything else, words are amazing.

I'm trying to get my boyfriend to read, which he never does. I'm holding his DVD hostage until he gets to page 10. Who thinks I can turn him from the person who doesn't ever read unless they have to, to the person who appreciates the gift of reading? :-)

Edit: oh, I forgot one other thing. It's called opinion as much as I may not like Young Adult books or Harry Potter, it has fans. As much as I think Oscar Wilde is amazing, others will not understand his writing and see no beauty in it. Always remember opinion.

I'm not insulted by the dislike of a book, I'm insulted by the lack of appreciation. There's a difference, isn't there?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:26 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Personally, I feel Literature is too subjective to be made into a class. "Don't tell me how to interpet a book; I can read the damn thing with my own eyes."

I'd like Lit. class in schools to be removed, or at least executed in a different way.

Oh, and take a look at my signature. It's slightly relevant to what I just mentioned.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:51 am
Myth says...

I get very possessive. If anyone touches my books I explode, even if the book isn't one of my favourites—no one touches my stuff!
.: ₪ :.

'...'

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:15 pm
Emerson says...

ah MW, I think I agree with you on the lit. class thing.

Though I would hate it, I want to take lit. class. More because it makes me read things I normally wouldn't rather than analyzing and what not. I don't think it should be removed all together, but for sure taught differently, because if it was removed then the kids we are bashing here would NEVER read.

With so many stupid people in America it makes me wonder how books are sold.

Oh thats right, there's 'chic-lit'
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:49 pm
Galatea says...

I adored my lit courses in highschool--but then, I was blessed with very good teachers.

Yes, I get terribly possessive of books. Especially the lit books. I loved The Great Gatseby, but no one else seemed to. I'll defend Ender's Game to the death.

Its more than that, however. I love to defend reading, especially to the children at my daycare. They simply do no read enough, and need to. Reading is so important. I could care less what someone is reading just so long as they read. That's why the Harry Potter series is so excellent. Not the content, necessarily (although I've really enjoyed the last two installments and can't wait for the seventh) but the ability to inspire children to spend time with their parents reading. It's really wonderful.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:44 pm
tinny says...

I'm very possesive of my books too. Which is very annoying because my papy has the tendancy to come in my room and just take them off my shelf whenever he pleases. I lent a book to my sister and he swiped it form her.

To be honest I'm even worse with my graphic novels. If someone bends even one page I go... well, slightly crazy...
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:10 pm
Fand says...

I hated lit courses in high school... then again I hated most of what we read in lit courses in high school. Old Man and the Sea, anyone? *shudders*

I love the lit course I'm taking in college right now, though. We read the best stuff, and because my professor's teaching style fits my learning style perfectly, I'm making leaps and bounds.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:46 pm
Via says...

I actually liked my lit classes in highschool. But, like mentioned before, I also had great teachers. Sure, there were those occasional books that you just couldn't force yourself to read [old man and the sea took me three tries] but most the time you could get by with the cliffnotes and be fine.

My university lit class starts in January...all three of them for this year, actually--so I'm excited to see what happens in those!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:05 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

I suppose the difference between you folks and I is that my teachers...

Well... My teachers...They...they...

SUCK!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:19 pm
Areida says...

I'm weird about sharing my books. If I really love a book I try to get everyone I know to read it and hope they love it too, but at the same time I almost don't want them to talk about it after they've read it because it was MY book first. Weird, right? LOL

What really annoys me is when we're supposed to read a book for school and people read the first three chapters and call it quits, or just skim it and hate it the whole way through without giving it a chance. Like last year: we read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara while we were talking about the Civil War. Amazing book. It won a Pulitzer and darn well deserved it. Two of the girls in my class hated it, but had no good reason for doing so! And the girl who talked about 1984 being pointless and needlessly disturbing... UGH.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

In the past I would definitely say who you would find inside. Not so much today. Place is bonkers …. As is everywhere
— Greg Specter