z

Young Writers Society

Which authors/books do you hate?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:50 pm
Firestarter says...

I have to say I have a particular dislike of Dickens ... I just can't understand how people can like the way he approaches a scene. It's just horribly done, and it hurts my brain.

So which authors or specific books do you tend to despise?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:57 pm
Emerson says...

I don't like Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

I have a particular dislike for Stephen King. He is too slow. He starts slow and the scenes are slow. I just don't like him. His movies are good though.

I'm not sure who else I hate :lol: maybe I'll come up with more later?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:59 pm
Dream Deep says...

Firestarter wrote:I have to say I have a particular dislike of Dickens ... I just can't understand how people can like the way he approaches a scene. It's just horribly done, and it hurts my brain.

So which authors or specific books do you tend to despise?

I hate Dickens. But even more than him I hate John Steinbeck. Now I know, I know -- everyone's supposed to love The Grapes of Wrath...

Oy. Not so much.

2058 Reviews

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 pm
Emerson says...

lol Everyone hates Dickens! I've started him, but decided to read other things.

It makes me feel bad though, last night Sam said my style was Dickens-like. oh well.

Oh, And I never liked Harry Potter much. But, I have grown out of YAs all together so that might be some of it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:26 pm
Cassandra says...

Bah. Harry Potter isn't YA, Claudette! And some YA books are done well.

I hate the Catcher in the Rye. Holden is so whiny... *stabs* I just don't understand why people like the book. Anyone care to explain? ;)
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 pm
Firestarter says...

Because! It's an account of teenage troubles. You're supposed to empathise!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

161 Reviews

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:08 pm
Cassandra says...

Empathize? But the main character's just a big fat complainer! He goes on and on about how everything's so phony and fake. I honestly don't think I know anyone that annoying!

...Nevermind, I do. :shock:

But anyway, aren't you supposed to not write angst? Isn't angst bad...or something? Because that's definitely all Catcher in the Rye is...

*Grimaces* I think we have to read it for school this year.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 pm
Writersdomain says...

Unlike most, I really like Dickens. :D

One of the many authors that I really hate thus far is Dee Henderson, namely for her work The Protector. Her entire focus is centered on two characters in a cheesy love story while a band of intriguing, supporting characters are left unused and inconclusive.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2058 Reviews

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:27 pm
Emerson says...

You don't like the catcher and the rye! *attacks Cassi* But its such a good book!!! I actually haven't read it in....two years so I don't remember much about it. Have you ever read The Bell Jar? That's also very good, its been called the female Catcher and The Rye, but I think I like it better. Still, how can you hate the catcher and the rye!!!

I think I like it because it's so catching. Of course, I haven't read it in two years, and I've become more literately experienced since then. (Does that even make sense?)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 pm
Firestarter says...

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is my favourite-book-that-is-like-catcher-in-the-rye.

161 Reviews

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:07 pm
Cassandra says...

That's funny, because I just read The Bell Jar this summer, and I rather despised it. Now that I think about it, Ester was whiny too!

Oy. Classics don't like me. XD

--Cassie
-Chuck Palahniuk

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:17 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I have a particular dislike for The Grapes of Wrath, as for authors Christopher Paolini. I also detest Nathaniel Hawthorne and The Scarlet Letter. Oi vey!

I don't particular like Dickins main-stream stuff aka A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist. But I do like his weirder stuff The Old Curiosity Shop and Bleak House.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:20 am
Poor Imp says...

I'm more than merely less than fond of Christopher Paolini--put diffidently. Someone bought his first book for me--fifteenth birthday gift. #_#''

More dislikes at another time...
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:58 am
Elizabeth says...

JK, her morals are shot and she's too rich. if Voldemort dies then she does too. for she IS voldemort. I am not a general fan of the HP series either... Peopel drive me nuts with it.

one book I totally disliked was.... Well it was by my favorite author but I think that these ones totally stank, they were the Dawn Rochelle Series (by Lurlene McDaniel) .. I don't know... something about making a series about a girl who is dying and then *something something* wasn't really that interesting... I can't remember it, I didn't read the last few.

2058 Reviews

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:05 am
Emerson says...

JK, her morals are shot and she's too rich. if Voldemort dies then she does too. for she IS voldemort. I am not a general fan of the HP series either... Peopel drive me nuts with it.
yay for not liking hp!!!

I'm with you in that boat.

And while we're at it, I hated Animal Farm. It scared me.

The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain