z

Young Writers Society

Why write?

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:18 pm
Esmé says...

I write mostly because I am bored and like doing it. Also, I'm supposed to be improving my english that way...

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:22 pm
piepiemann22 says...

I write for only two reasons. To exprease my heart, and to show off my imagination.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

236 Reviews

Reviews: 236
Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:02 pm
carelessaussie13 says...

I definitely have some sort of writing disorder. A bunch of times I woke up in the middle of the night and I had to get up and write because my brain was so full of ideas. It really is a physical sensation in the fingers, of needing to hold a pen or pencil and create something unique and truly my own. I hate it when it happens in the middle of math class or something, when I can't just write randomly about the Fairy Queen of Salamander Pond or some stupid randomness.

I write because I think 'd die of I stopped.
No, I'm serious.
“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:55 pm
Fraai says...

I write for many reasons, although I haven't thought about it before.
When I've finished, I love the thought of having a great story of your collection sitting there infront of you, knowing you wrote it yourself, and to think of what people will say when you show it to your friends, your family, teachers... And I like to practice with writing to help eventually decide weather I want to have writing as a career, a bit like a personal resamay.
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because he felt like it. Period.

.........{FRAAI.DEVIANTART.COM}

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:14 am
Wiggy says...

I write because I breathe. No writing, no breathing. No breathing, no life. And I die. I don't want to die yet!

Also, as Jack mentioned awhile back, sometimes it's the only way we can escape reality. It's the way we can create our own magic without anyone else interfering, at least for a little while (ahem, editors).

It's also very relieving when you have a lot of stress on you. I find that when I write, everything turns better because my anger comes out in my writing (so it turns out to be really cruddy angsty stuff) or my happiness. It's the way I express my soul without sounding corny in words.

Most of all, it's how I find the extraordinary in the ordinary. Life is full of surprises; it's up to you to find them.

And I love it. Period.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:57 am
LowKey says...

[quote="writingluver5"]
Also, as Jack mentioned awhile back, sometimes it's the only way we can escape reality. It's the way we can create our own magic without anyone else interfering, at least for a little while (ahem, editors).[/quote]

I agree with you on everything. I have different characters that I made up in different moods, and the mood stuck with them, so now I have an optimist, an anti-social one, etc. I love escaping reality through my writing, because for a shot time, (less than five minutes before I'm interrupted) I can live in my reality, my world with my people, etc. None of the problems or annoyances of real life unless I want them, and then I can flick them away at will. I think that pretty much sums up why I like to write. :D
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:44 am
xtenx says...

I agree with everyone that it's just fullfilling to write- personally, I just love to create my own world, my own charcters- there's something about finishing a story that just makes me smile. It gives me something to do when I'm bored, somewhere to vent when I'm angry. Reality sort of fades and I enter my own world for a while.

In my philosophy class we spent a long time talking about why people read/write/watch tv/play video games...it was really interesting. The philosophy part of this question was...if people constantly feel the need to escape their own reality, what is wrong with the world? What does it say about our lives if we have to escape? And why instead of fixing the problems do we avoid them through these means?

I don't really have answers, but maybe it's something to think about. Personally, I think writing is a wonderful thing. I like to do it, so I don't consider it just an escape from reality. I guess it's just become a part of my reality. I think the problem lies more withing tv and games than in books.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:49 am
bubblewrapped says...

I dont know why I write. I'm serious. I havent a clue. I dont get anywhere, I never win contests or even reach the end of the first chapter because I'm always so busy rewriting and coming up with new ideas.

And yet I keep writing.

It's like I just...cant stop.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:54 pm
Leja says...

To escape from the world, and in doing so, learn how to truly live in it.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:19 am
duckie says...

I write because I like my characters. Because I can get into someone else's mind, when I get bored with my own.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 am
Prokaryote says...

"Why write?"

Why not?

Prokaryote

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:38 am
Alice says...

For me, it all started with a drawing of a dragon, which moved to a drawing of a girl, which moved to a name, which moved to a plot, and now I write to excape the dull land that is my life.
I just lost the game.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:18 am
Writersdomain says...

Because I have to.

^_^
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:55 am
Sam says...

Ooer, I suppose it's because I've not read many books that I've loved and have eaten up my life. Bloody Jack, The Brothers Karamazov, Night, and, most recently, Everything is Illuminated have done that- and the rest of the books I read are just sort of "Eh".

So, basically: I want to make a book that makes people laugh hysterically and then bawl, and I want it to haunt them for days afterward. In a good way, of course, not because it was terrible. -_-

But that's why we love critiquers!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:44 pm
Fishr says...

Why write? Stop entirely, and all of you will know the answer.

I did, for two years. I felt a part of me was missing. I wasn't complete. Writing is what I do but it doesn't define my identity. It took me a good amount of time to come to that realization.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems