z

Young Writers Society

List of taboo writing words

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

"Sighed".

Like, as in, "It's so hot in here", she sighed.

It could be overrused. Sometimes I overruse it. XD
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 am
wwjnd says...

... I'm just gonna say that I hate all adverbs because they're horrenously dumb. See what I mean!
How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive.
-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:09 am
thunder_dude7 says...

As Mark Twain said,

"Substitute "Damn" every time you are inclined to write "very". Your editor will delete it and your writing will be as it should be."

That's the only good thing I learned in Creative Writing class. The rest was all "Said is Dead" and stuff.

I hate adverbs too.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Rei says...

"Questioned" just to be different and avoid using "asked" as in:

"How did the test go?" he questioned.

I once read a book that, as good as it was, irritated the heck out of me because the author hardly ever used "asked"
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:57 pm
Spazztardchild says...

I have a phobia of the word 'defiantly'.

... possibly because of the many FanFics I have read with incredibly bad spellers who actually mean to type definitely. *shudders*

Needless to say, I stop reading once that crops up in the first sentence.

Nothing else is really taboo [for me]. Apart from 'nice'. 'Nice' is bad.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Graffito

It made me LOLums

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:27 am
The Yes Guy says...

I hate when I see something like "laughed grimly" or "smiled grimly". I mean, it just makes the character so badass, doesn't it? Oh wait, no.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:24 pm
HC says...

Skywards. As in, "rolled her eyes skyward" or "moved his eyes skywards" - or anything like that! Aghhh! They're rolling their eyes, nothing more! Stop trying to make it sound more poetic than it actually is. Even worse is when they describe the eye colour with something like "chocolate" or "sky-blue". Bleh. Pet peeve.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:05 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

"Substitute "Damn" every time you are inclined to write "very". Your editor will delete it and your writing will be as it should be."

GASP!

That was in writer's digest. I think. Or in some writing article that I've read before. But I'm pretty sure it was in Writer's Digest.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Reviews: 4
Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:51 am
Spiritree says...

THAT.

Whenever I'm reviewing a piece, the word 'that' always sticks out to me. I cross out every one, and it is so much nicer without.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:14 pm
sokool15 says...

Humongous.

I know it's a real word and it's legitimate to use in serious writing, but I've heard it said by little children WAY too much when they're describing things..."Sarah, Sarah, I just saw a HUMONGOUS spider!!!) ...let's just say the word has totally lost its charm. It seems too childish for a serious prose, in my opinion.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 pm
Sinkingtooslow says...

The word "special" and "nice" irritate me a bit. But I'm pretty much relaxed about everything else when it's not my own writing. To each his own. But any word used in excess in a single piece of work can be an annoyance.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:04 pm
Lynlyn says...

I don't think there are any words that should be banned from writing - that's just absurd to me. If it's in the English language, it's fair game. But I do think there are certain usages that weaken prose.

Describing something indefinitely really bugs me. This usually happens with "almost" and "perhaps."

i.e.

"She was perhaps a little sweaty as she walked through the door, and Jon thought that she almost looked as if she had been running from a rhinoceros."

Those kind of passages just make me go... what? It kind of has the same effect as very, but in the opposite direction. She's either sweaty, or she's not, or she's running from a rhino, or she's not. Make up your mind, man.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:07 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I like this topic; there's several words I think should only be used once or not at all in a story. Those include 'Very', 'So', 'Suddenly', 'A Lot', 'Almost' and a lot of the cliche words. I forgot 'Ain't'. Ain't and Very are on the top of my list. Ain't because its not really a conjuction of anything, whereas I don't see how people think its a word. My Dad, whose from the South, uses it just to tick me off. When we go visit family in Tenessee and Kentucky and I hear it from everyone, I have to restrain myself to not go off on a wild rampage and start yelling about all the other annoying words they use, ain't being the first one. Very simply being because its overused. In 6th grade, I used Very a lot because I needed a story for class to take up an entire page (I hate being forced to sit down and write at a certain time, with having a time limit; the stories always come out like an elementary kid wrote them.). She went back and told me to never use Very more than once in a paragraph or something. Ever since then, I've had issues with that word.
Lyn, you bring up a good point. Those kinds of sentences get annoying and fast. You could have cut that sentence in half and you'd have made it easier for people to follow. I have the same reaction and have to look at the sentence for a few times before I can decipher it. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:19 am
dreamintechnicolour says...

"Was"

Was should be taken out the back and shot. Twice. Just to be sure.

Was is so passive. It distances the reader from the action and it shows that you can't put the reader in the situation, instead you are reduced to explaining. Which doesn't reflect well on you as a writer...

And "again"
It just shows that the writer can't show that the thing is happening another time, instead they have to tell. Which is boring. end of story.

On a side note: I like the word consume ie. Guilt consumed her every thought. and therefore use it FAR too much. I used to have a list of words that I overused and would go through my work to make sure that I hadn't used them unnecessarily or more than once or twice.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:51 pm
patience_isnt says...

Snoink wrote:My earliest teachers hated the word "pretty" and "nice." Therefore, I used them an obscene amount for FREAK. XD

The word "ejaculated" should never be used to indicate dialogue. Ever.

I know what you mean. Me, being a perverted teenager, laughed my head off when you said "ejaculated." **Snorts.** Okay, I'll promise I'll stop. **Bursts out laughing again.**

But seriously, I have to agree with you. Anything associated with a male's genitals should not be associated with speech. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! What are you girls doing?"

"Peeing on a stick, you wanna try?"

-My C, Nick, and MC, Kayla.

You are in the wrong land even if the roosters recognize you.
— Nathalie Handal, "Noir, une lumière"