z

Young Writers Society

Does everyone else hate their own writing?

Do you like your own writing?

Yup
16%
No...
23%
It varies from piece to piece
48%
I'm not sure?
10%
What a pointless question
3%

Total votes : 61

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:32 pm
piepiemann22 says...

It depends. I have like 5 different versions of my book and some I just hate, but I love the story itself.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:34 pm
Incandescence says...

I'm fond of my characters and plot--we all have to be, at some level. I can't say I write particularly "well" or in a "gripping"/"engaging" style, and for that I'm always disappointed in my writing.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:12 pm
sokool15 says...

I don't actually become attached to my work enough as a piece of writing to love it or hate it like that...when I'm writing it, it's more just a new world I'm creating.

After I've finished the piece, I can look over it with a relatively objective eye (Or so I think) and critique it.

However, after I show it to someone else...THAT'S when I start to hate it. I'm happy with it grammatically and everything, I've run it through the YWS Nazi's and it's all good, then I show it to somebody else and suddenly I'm replaying all the lame things I wrote in my mind. I'm cringing at the idea that somebody is reading it...

So yeah. 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:50 am
Lynlyn says...

sokool15 wrote:However, after I show it to someone else...THAT'S when I start to hate it. I'm happy with it grammatically and everything, I've run it through the YWS Nazi's and it's all good, then I show it to somebody else and suddenly I'm replaying all the lame things I wrote in my mind. I'm cringing at the idea that somebody is reading it...

So yeah. 8)

That's how I am too, really. Ill think something's fine, I'll read it several times over, read it out loud, and then give it to someone else to read... and suddenly I'm a wreck and I want it back so I can mark all over it again. Somehow, after it leaves my hands, it suddenly becomes the worst thing I've ever written, ever, and I want to stuff it in a drawer and never see it again.

After they look at it, mark it, and give it back, I'm usually fine. It's just those first few minutes of handing over the papers/posting where I get scared and think, "what if it's the worst thing I've ever posted?"
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

seeing this tag and going "oh what's this? :)" then getting slapped in the face with shady's good grammar is the worst thing that's ever happened to me
— SilverNight