z

Young Writers Society

What influenced you to write what you are writing right now?

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

My ispiration for Indevor in my new site was of how all bands have set backs and sometimes they can fix it or sometimes they just have fun with it....
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:59 pm
Twit says...

Every movie, TV show, book or bit of music that came my way. For Rainbow, anyway.

For Scarab, it started out as a ripoff from Doctor Who. Sad, I know, but got me started.

THIOBS... actually I have no idea what started that.

A Fool's Hope came from Rainbow. It was actually writing up the backstory to the main story and making it a main story in its own right, type-thing.

The Epic came from watching FOTR, when they're going over the bridge of Kazad-Dum. My thoughts ran along the lines of, Why didn't the dwarves build in a safety rail or something? I'd be really, really scared going over something like that. Then the little fireflies started buzzing over my head.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:59 pm
chocoholic says...

The Gate of Glendon came about because I really wanted to try fantasy, and it seemed easy enough with this plot (unfortunately, probably very cliched as well!).

For How I See the World, it was inspired by my suffering from Third Wheel Syndrome, and I wanted to write about it (see my blog if you haven't got any idea what I'm talking about)
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Reviews: 1
Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 pm
MiaIsMe says...

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure that out.
After I finish writing a story, or simply tire of it, the motivation behind it becomes clear.
While I'm writing it though, it never seems to have a source at all.
At the moment I'm writing what seems like it might turn out to be a childrens fantasy story.
Though it could go another direction, as its still in the early stages.
And I have no idea why.
I can, however, tell you what inspires me to write in general; a basic and primal love of words.
So until I figure it out myself the answer to your question is:
I have absolutely no idea.
Are there ever times you wonder what on earth you're doing?
You can see yourself doing things that you know are wrong.
You tell yourself to stop, hear yourself screaming within your own mind.
Yet you plow through, leaving destruction in your wake..

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 pm
ridersofdamar says...

umm... lets see i'm writing a story set on a planet that we (earth) colonized, only the planet breaks off it's orbit every 100 years and half the planet freezes over, this prompts a war (the pandora war- the name of the planet and the story). Actual story takes place in the aftermath with a group of people who are trying to survive everything that happened, and trying to survive a crazed maniac who wants to kill everything :P. futuristic ut swords will be used more than anything else.

now that i've said all that inspiration probably came from the book Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling, about the modern world reverting back to Mideival Times. Poster might like it. And also the Hunters blade trilogy by R. A. Salvatore was a bid inspiration, especially in the main character. Also the movie Appleseed inspired most of the technology. but most of it i made up.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu May 01, 2008 5:48 am
Robin says...

Inspiration for the book I'm trying to write right now came from various things..."White Trash Anthem" by Blood for Blood. Gang life and a gangs reaction to a non-gang member. The slacker and drug culture from my area. The suicide of one of my family members. The deaths of three of my friends. Jeremy Delle. The shooting at the college I was planning on attending that a family member currently attends (NIU). Divorce and brotherhood. Stubbornness and immaturity. This one body piercer my sister dated for awhile. The people that I know that are now in jail. The people that I know that are probably going to end up in jail. Graffiti and trains. Small areas in the suburbs.

That's like a list pretty much. There's a lot more. Various things trigger certain thoughts and ideas for me and branch out from there to create whatever kind of plot I plan on writing...

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri May 02, 2008 3:39 am
Ross says...

For my romance Wrong or Right, I was taking a walk and kind of thinking about my boy cousin Clay--who is admittedly very handsome--and the relationship I had with him. (I know this sounds cliche, but it's what happened. Bear with me. ;)) Then my imagination took over and I was thinking about if we had a relationship further than normal cousin relationship. And then I started thinking, "What if this, what if that...?" And I wrote the first chapter ASAP and posted it on here.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri May 02, 2008 3:43 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Firebrand emerged from many, many things. I was bored on a car ride and i started thinking about elements...fire, water and wind, to be exact...and thinking about how, in a world where each person was gifted with an element, what kind of things that would say about the person. The rough idea came from that thought.

Marc's character exploded from me on a very, very bad day when I was angry, cynical, and sad and I seriously wanted to yell at a friend of mine for his stupidity and I was quite convinced the world was going to Hades. That's where Marc's blog came from. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri May 02, 2008 3:55 am
Dream Deep says...

The Chair: In short, I needed a short story for a school assignment it grew into a long story, which grew into a novella, which grew into a novel. It's very different from what it was, which makes me dually glad and miserable. I read too much C.J. Cherryh and too much Alan Furst. They collided and ever since, I've been wandering through this lopsided, off-balance, lovely, confused landscape that is WWII Poland meets Freedom on crack [with issues]. Lovely, I say!

The Piano Player: A product of "The Death of Ivan Illych". I wanted to write an Eastern European tragedy, and so the novel was originally set in 1860s St. Petersburg. It got unbearable with astonishing speed. So I put my Mrvica-worship to good use, hurled the story forward by a century and dragged it to Dubrovnik. The first bit of the story I wrote just after piano lessons. It was a very bad bay. I played... unbelievably terrible. I looked terrible. I felt terrible. I was so furious with myself, with the piano, with circumstances, that I wrote out my frustration. Only I wrote it in the third person. And changed 'she' to 'he' to be safe.

Mea Culpa / [?]: A dream. 'Tis all that needs be said. A bittersweet dream that arrived fully formed as a concept, and just begs to be written down.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri May 02, 2008 4:38 pm
Goldenheart says...

'Meet the Maker' was inspired by the character of Wolf, from the mini-series 'The Tenth Kingdom'.

'Myzeri's Castle' was inspired solely by 'Beauty and the Beast'. LOVE THAT MOVIE!!

My new untitled novel was inspired by a mixture of 'Jane Eyre' and 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.

'Illdrent' was inspired by a mixture of 'Anne of Green Gables' and 'I Am Legend'. (or, the concept of it. The latter movie I've never really seen.)
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri May 02, 2008 6:12 pm
Leahweird says...

My near-complete first novel Reflections was inspired by Storybooks. The whole thing sprang from a scene in an RPG on another website built by a keypal Dragonfire, and then I filled in the blanks with snippets from old projects. That's why I'm so glad there's a site ike this.

I'll always be grateful to Dragonfire, even though I've ost touch with her, and I don't even know what she's like in real life.

Since then, I get alot of inspiration from music. It's suprising what you can from
song lyrics.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 pm
deleted2 says...

My reason to start writing the novel I've been working on is kind of dark.
hmm.
I always loved writing, random things, not so much drama, until my mother got sick. Then i began to write stories containing drama, and a lot of it too. The reason i began to write The Darkness Within is because she got sick. It isnt about cancer or anything, its about teenagers living a life away from home without parents because of various dramatic reasons.

It made me tell myself that my life wasn't all bad, and that it could be way worse. And maybe i at a time was ... well: contemplated running away if only not to have to see it all. My parents dont know this though. my retarded way of cooping with things i guess.

Also writing is a chance to escape from the real world, and enter a world where your pen (or keyboard XD) is the master and you can make it into anything you want. One time in a bad mood i wrote the continuation of my life, saying how i'd wake up in the morning and realise it was a dream and that my mom wasnt sick at all.
Too bad the next morning it was as true as ever.
So yea
Drama drama drama ... LOL told you my reason was dark.
XxxDo
Last edited by deleted2 on Sat May 03, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat May 03, 2008 4:04 am
Jamie_rocks says...

Hmmm, let's see, I get inspiration from a lot of different places.

The Revenge, The Witness, Endangered Species, and The Ransom all came from a dream I had that I transferred into a plot.

Sending My Heart came from a personal experience where a crush moved away, I wrote that to vent emotions at first and then twisted it into a plot.

Fred came from a story my sisters told me to scare me and a bit of the plot came from the movie Child's Play.

Traumatized is also another personal experience, when you have a painful childhood it's easy to turn your life into a plot.

Pneumonia was developed when my friend was out of school for a week with the flu.

Haunted was at first a cheap rip-off from a short story in a book, but I developed the plot a bit more.

And the rest of my plots just sort of popped up randomly right before I fell asleep.

I agree with the person above me though, whenever things get tough in the real world, I retreat to my room and write. Somehow seeing things happen to the characters that are way worse than what's happening to me makes me feel better.
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat May 03, 2008 1:34 pm
bubblewrapped says...

Hm. Let's see. I'm working on several things at the moment, so I'll take them one at a time.

A Cage Full of Birds is directly based on a dream I had a few weeks ago. The sensation of being the woman who will be my MC was so strong I woke up feeling that I just had to tell her story (yes, I am weird XD). It also has elements of a story told by one of those "Real Life" Psychic programs which had seriously eerie similarities to the dream (and which I watched a few days after I had the dream itself) and kind of creeped me out XD

The basic concept of Whistling for the Dead is partly based on this really awesome TV show that I love, called Afterlife. which is about a Medium and her psychologist friend and how they deal in their different ways with the supernatural (in fact, you could almost say it's a direct rip-off of that concept). It's also inspired by those TV shows of real-life ghost hunters, psychics, and of course the (fictional) Medium, Dead Zone and Ghost Whisperer series'. The title, and the main setting popped into my head on a long drive and decided to camp in my brain until I found a story to put with them. And, finally, an incident in my own past, when my mother heard someone whistling in our garden despite there being nobody there, added to some of the superatural and symbolic element it has going. I have plans for a series of sequels, some of which will be based on dreams I've had in the past -- but they're still very up in the air right now.

Last year's Nano, The Crystal Throne is, I think, one of the few I've actually consciously developed. It all started when I thought about what it would be like to write about a matriarchal society. To this I added a news story about a little girl being worshipped as a Goddess; another plot I wanted to explore involving a twisted version of the master-slave romance cliche; a really odd nanoism that ended up transforming part of the plot; my love of Gone With the Wind and the desire to work with a seriously selfish character like Scarlett; and, for some reason, the desire to play with a character who valued something else over love. I guess I was getting tired of fantasy cliches at the time and wanted to write something less...predictable. What I got was an extremely complex plot in which everyone back-stabs everyone else and eventually gets punished for it *snort*

Most of my inspiration in general comes from dreams and/or me playing the "What if...?" game with concepts/characters/ideas I get from external sources. Little bit of this, little bit of that, I guess XD
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sat May 03, 2008 4:08 pm
Angel of Death says...

I'm actually trying to write two novels at the same time, two of which are posted on here but are not updated.

One which is called In the Land of Harmony was based off of this dream I had of this faraway land where vampires, werewolves, mermaids etc, lived. I've always been intrigued by mythical creatures mixing with reality thus this story was born. It takes place in New York, and sort of takes on this Romeo and Juliet spin...I don't want to give anything away but this book is basically Fantasy/Romance/Adventure Fiction, I just posted in Romance because it starts off that way.

Cupid's Arrow was inspired by the fact that I am in love with vampires. It's about how Cupid had a role in how vampires came to be. The POV's in the story switches from one character to the next but its also about how a guy who is cursed by Cupid's arrow tries to find true love while dealing with his "brother" Cal (who wants to remain a vampire) and his army. And the fact that in Suelo de Sangre vampire's are hated by the king. And the fact that he is in love with the Princess.

I treat both of these books like my babies and I hope to finish both of them one day and get them published. If you want to check them out, please do, but remember they haven't been updated in a while so...yeah.
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb