xanthan gum says...

Own? None.
Have in my house that I've read? 167
Carpe Diem.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:17 pm
Rei says...

If you combine Mike's and my small collection, probably between around one hundred, maybe more. Sadly, the majority of mine are still in Toronto. But I'll be going in two weeks to visit, so I'll get them here. The amusing thing is that when I do, we'll have two copies of The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, two copies of Harry Potter 1-5, and two copies of at least one of the Narnia books. *shakes head*
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:26 am
Sohini says...

approximately 300 English books and more than 200 Bengali books (which i never touch!)
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:40 pm
Areida says...

Holy crud... I have no idea. There's probably about 50 in my room, then about 25 in Diana's room, then probably more than 100 in my little sisters' room and then all the ones downstairs... Our house is a freakin' library. XD

Books that I've actually bought with my own money is probably closer to 50 or so, but that's a rough guesstimate.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:58 pm
deleted6 says...

I'm afraid that impossible our house has like 1000 books probably more.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:04 am
Wiggy says...

How can I tell? I have a reading family, and I'm the biggest reader of them all! I love Jane Austen...*sigh* One for all and all for one! (Three Musketeers) Okay, okay, I'll stop quoting stuff. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:15 am
Fand says...

Hm... well, when I packed my bookcase, I had two and a half (large) cardboard boxes worth of books, not counting my collection of antique books (12, and far too rare and old to risk sitting in a moving van), and the three novels I brought along for entertainment. This was also after I had to get rid of HALF MY COLLECTION.

Yes, my mother is a sadist.

Then add in another two or three hundred books around the house that don't belong to me per se, but that I've (mostly) read.

Most of these are novels; a very small percentage is plays, short story collections, letters of famous authors (Tolkien and Eliot), non-fiction, and cook books.

Ahh, books. ^_^
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:56 am
Jiggity says...

Whoa. My family arent really the intellectual type ... or the type that reads ... the books I have, I've bought painstakingly with pocket money over a couple of years. I've only got around 50 (all novels) that probably has something to do with my recent change of interest into DVD's
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:08 am
Bjorn says...

Jiggity wrote:Whoa. My family arent really the intellectual type ... or the type that reads ... the books I have, I've bought painstakingly with pocket money over a couple of years. I've only got around 50 (all novels) that probably has something to do with my recent change of interest into DVD's

Ai, same here. I'm the only real 'reader' in the family. I've perhaps a little over 30 English fiction novels. But, I've plently comics, manga (Japanese comics), magazines, non-fiction books, etc. Not to mention the host of Croatian books I have; and of course all the books in the basement (which I've recently started looking through, and found some interesting reads, i.e. Robert Ludlum).
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:12 pm
Clover Madison says...

*Laughs* If you count only the ones that I've bought it's somewhere around 100. (I have a terrible book buying problem. Please let me know if anyone can help me break it.) If you count all the ones in my house... it's somewhere around the 400 + mark - I would never ever want to count them all.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

"Life is like an hourglass glued to the table."

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:12 am
Pushca says...

around 320, at last count (yes i actually counted all the books in my room. it's a rather long story i'd rather not get into.) i'm po' now and don't buy them much anymore : )
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:19 pm
backgroundbob says...

Er...

Well, there's my room. It used to be fairly cleanable and so forth. There's six shelf levels from floor to roof in the corner, all double packed, so that's somewhere between 100 and 200 - then there's the pile of 'classic' books sitting on my speaker that I made a point of chewing through one by one, so that's another 25; then there's the pile of philosophy and theology books I raided from my Grandpa's house when I started my A-level philosophy course, so that's another 40 or so; then there's a pile beside my old toy chest of plays and literary and grammatical instruction books, so add 35 or so (lots of Shakespeare and Stoppard - divine combination!).
The study has about two wall-length shelves that are my books (the other four are my family's), so maybe 70 or so that are mine? Largely fantasy and sci-fi in there.
Lounge is slightly confusing, since I can't remember which ones are mine and which are my parents, but there's about 600 books altogether there.

Anyway... lots. And to be honest, I don't buy books :P I just get 'em from the library. I have no idea where these have all come from...
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:39 pm
RoxanneR says...

I did a quick whip around my room, and the total comes to over 250. And that's only in my room.

There are some little kiddies books that I have kept for years, and then there are the young adult fiction books that I have collected over a year or two.

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:28 pm
Firestarter says...

Books that I've personally bought or have been given as gifts add up to around 100. I usually use the library or borrow other people's books to read, rather than spending cash because I am not rich in any stretch of the imagination.

In my house there's a lot of books, probably pushing up near to 1000. My Mum and Dad and sisters read a lot too so there's lots to choose from -- I think we own about every classic, from Dumas to Hemingway to Bronte to Dickens.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:55 pm
Via says...

I do my books like I do my cd's...I have way too many to spend time counting. I'd be there forever haha.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984