z

Young Writers Society

The Most Disturbing Book...

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 pm
fading-dream says...

LastPaladin, that book sounds really good! I want to read Monster!

Anyway, I'm going to say Huckleberry Finn. I was terrified to have to pick up that awful thing again. The plot was basically non-existent and it just went on so many random, different tangents that it made me hate it. And it didn't end, it just kept going. Even the end was just him sailing off. Awful.
Current Project: Otherworld (Novel) - 11,000 words so far
Latest Story: Overflowing Emotions.
Past stories: Burning Apart, The Beast, Binding Darkness - Ch. 1, What David Taught Me, The Banquette, Mirror of Memories, Leaving Humanity, Little Green Men, Six Days

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:50 pm
Cspr says...

"Child 44".

Because (from Wikipedia): "The novel is based on the crimes of Ukrainian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo, also known as the Rostov Ripper, who was convicted of and executed for 52 murders in the Soviet Union. In addition to highlighting the problem of Soviet-era criminality in a state where "there is no crime," the novel also explores the paranoia of the age, the education system, the secret police apparatus, orphanages, homosexuality in the USSR and mental hospitals."

Yes. I got halfway through and...*shivers* Bah.

Also, I find it amusing that someone found "Pet Sematary" scary. I didn't really find it scary. Just suspenseful, mainly. And it did have some humor in it early on, enough to make me snicker, anyway. The end was pretty bad (as in, frightening), but not make-me-afraid-of-the-nighttime scary.
Then again, my mind is totes warped. I played T-rated games at three-years-old...if that says anything... *blinks*
My SPD senses are tingling.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:21 am
Fan says...

I've heard a Japanese student say that In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami (not to be confused with Haruki Murakami) made them sick and unable to finish it. I had a quick look at the synopsis in Wikipedia and I can see why. I'm going to give it a read some day :twisted:

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 pm
jcipriano1 says...

Definately Dracula, but also Jurassic Park and it's sequel, The Lost World--alot of gore and panic.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstien

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:31 am
Shadowhunter14 says...

Unwind by Neal Shusterman isn't THAT disturbing, but it is, sort of. I really liked it though.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon May 16, 2011 1:45 am
View Likes
Liveinthelight says...

Night by Elie Wiesel.

It's the Holocaust. It's so obviously disturbing. D:
You treat life like a picture
but it's not a moment that's frozen in time

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Mon May 16, 2011 2:14 am
Dreamwalker says...

I'm going to have to agree on Night being one of the most disturbing.

Umm... one of my favourites but pretty graphic in a strange way was definitely The Kite Runner by Kalad Hosseini. That was not an easy book to stomach.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

Reviews: 1
Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:13 pm
ZeroKelvin says...

It was nearly pet Semetary [sic] by Steven King, but I can imagine reading that again and (sort of) enjoying it.

Nightingale by Alistair Reynold's, however, was just too much. Which was a pity, as I like a lot of his sci-fi.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he in turn become a monster...
...And if you stare for too long into an abyss then the abyss stares back into you."
- Friederich Nietschze.

Phn'glui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'Lyeh Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!
Ia Cthulhu! Ia Dagon!

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:58 am
Justlittleoleme says...

Lockdown: escape from furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith.

I found this book to be the most disturbing(and exciting) books I've ever read. I found my self wanting the characters to escape just as badly as I would have wanted myself to escape. The place they were in was horrible and frightening, a real nightmare with no escape and just when you think, Hey, there gonna do it, they're gonna get out of this hell, the story cliff hangs! I haven't even gotten to read the sequel yet...Its safe to say I was pretty ticked off by that...

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:13 pm
Lava says...

All Quiet on The Western Front - Remarque.

War. It just hits you. Makes you think.
(A brilliant book, it is).
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 pm
Froggy4224 says...

The most disturbing book I've read is After by Amy Efaw this teen gets pregnant gives birth and then tries to kill her kid by placing her in the dumpster but she denys being pregnant and tries to avoid it but she is arrested and put on trial. The book was just so sad and disturbing and really wierd don't read it!
You got it, You got it, Some kind of magic, Hypnotic, Hypnotic, You're leaving me breathless
-Paramore, I Caught Myself

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:15 am
PlasticStarlight says...

most distrubing book I've ever read is definatly The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. The Plot is not all that unrealistic, and Margaret Atwood herself is a nutball. Plus I hated what Atwood did at the end of the book. If you've never read her work, consider yourself lucky, though if you're canadian you probably understand what I mean.

Another book or series rather that is disturbign is the " Crank" series by Ellen Hopkins. The content isn't what bothers me. What is truely disturbing is that this woman is making money off her daughter's addiction. I mean, sure the first book is a story she wanted to tell- much like Go Ask Alice, or Speak- but now volume after volume about her daughter's decent into addiction and how it had ruined their family's life, it seems.. inappropriate.
Who are we, but the stories we tell.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:34 am
ShakespeareWallah says...

you might disagree but to me the most disturbing book ever is the twilight saga. it was creeeppyyyyyyy!

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm
ahhhsmusch says...

I'm going to say Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. The images in Blood Meridian are so incredibly haunting and horrific that I actually had a nightmare. Bushes adorned with dead babies, Indian scalpings, and the Judge. Oh man

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:25 pm
Love says...

it is nothing else than 'Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H. P. Lovecraft: Commemorative Edition'. Might not qualify, since it is mostly a collection of short stories, but it is great. Some of the things described in it...
I was Amareth :)

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar