z

Young Writers Society

past tense vs. present tense

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:32 pm
bluewaterlily says...

For some reason I write in present tense. It gives you a sense of being in the story right now, like cassie17 said. Though a writing book said that most people dislike present tense. Even though I write in present tense, it can feel strange reading a book in present tense. Any one second that notion? :?:
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:54 pm
Mochi says...

I personally hate present tense with a passion. I find that in English the verbs flow far better in past tense unless it's used in monologue. It just doesn't seem natural to write in present tense. The only time I will use present tense is either in second person or in French.
Last edited by Mochi on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vous trouvez l'océan trop clair, trop noir, trop bleu ;
Vous détestez le ciel parce qu'il montre Dieu ;
-Victor Hugo «À ceux qui sont petits»

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:07 pm
Leja says...

I've written a lot of scripts lately, so present tense is becoming kind of automatic. I'm not so sure that I like that fact though, haha. For me, past tense will always be natural for prose. I think it makes the story just that much more complete.

Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly