z

Young Writers Society

Dragons and Other Such Beasts

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:50 pm
Kelcia says...

In my story, there is only one dragon - so far. His name is Alexander, and he's not what you'd expect. He is, well, to put it in a way anyone other than me would understand, kind of like an British Mushu. (From the movie Mulan.) He's about as big as my hand, is green, and can fly, although he likes perching on the MC's shoulder as well. He can talk, but only to his master/guardian (I haven't decided yet.) Everyone else just doesn't hear him. I always imagine him with a thick London accent, for some reason.

I suppose I just like fun-sized dragons! :D

But I was wondering, does this sound cliche at all? Not that I'd give up Al for the world, but I want to confirm that this doesn't sound like it's been done many times before.

-Kelcia
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:50 pm
Stori says...

Actually, I don't think so. Small dragons haven't been done all that often.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:43 pm
Rosendorn says...

I've only seen small dragons once, so I think you're in the clear! Little dragons, so long as they're not total Mushu copies, then you're fine.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:16 am
Rubric says...

Tony Shillitoe, an Australian Author, used small dragons to great effect. In D&D Pseudodragons also tend to crop up as a familiar (companion) of wizards and sorcerors. Generally I think they're a bit underdone though, so knock yourself out!
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood