z

Young Writers Society

At what age did you start writing and

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:20 pm
xtenx says...

I started writing poety when I was really young...maybe 6 or so. Then I started writing fanfiction when I was 13. It was mostly music fanfiction about all my favorite bands (who I don't like anymore, haha). When that happened I stopped writing poetry and I haven't really been inspired to try again since. It's so much fun to look back at the notebooks I used to write in. It keeps me entertained for hours, just going through. I still don't know what I was thinking, but whatever it was, I'm glad because it's probably why I still enjoy writing today.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:20 pm
LowKey says...

I started writing in kinder garden, but tried to write a book when I was eight. I dropped it and picked it up again when I was ten, and got twenty pages on MS Word at size 20 font. I was proud, and thought it was great, and started on book two and three. I dropped it a while after I printed book one, but saved them all to floppy. I was cleaning my room when I found the printed out version and the floppy disk, and I cringed. Great story idea, but the characters all started talking with the word 'um'.:?
"Um, are you sure we should go in there Jake?"
"Um, yeah, lets go!"
"Um, Okay!"
I thought I could make it better, so I'm working on that now. :)
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:20 am
Sam says...

I started at about age six, when I decided that I was going to write a story about an adventurous (and mischievious!) set of twins who go to the Grand Canyon.

I soon decided that novel writing was not for me, so I began a short series of vignettes about the Easter Bunny.

And the rest is...er...posted on YWS. :P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:42 am
xanthan gum says...

I wrote my first picture book in preschool. I still have it. I named the main character "Bloomingdale" (it was very long and impressive and made my story considerably more complex). It was around ten pages long.

Many picture books followed, until I wrote my first 60 page "novel" at the age of ten.

I think I posted my first poem to a YWS-related website (TWYC) at the age of 11. And it was horrible. And I am proud.
Carpe Diem.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:22 am
bubblewrapped says...

Um. I think a better question would be, when WASNT I writing? Apparently at the age of two or three, I used to force my mum to make up stories for me about my favourite doll, Dolly Day (**cringe**). I used to play games with my friends which involved elaborate and sometimes bizarre made-up worlds, generally featuring fairy princesses (about which I remember mercifully little). By the time I could actually put words on paper, I was writing 5-line "stories" about things which I no longer understand...I still have my old exercise books, and they all go something like: "I went the beach on and there was a choo train". **ahem**

As seems to be the trend, between 9 and 13 were my major "I-am-a-writer" years -- I was a much better poet, actually, but **cough** that really isnt saying much. Then came the drought: I dont think I had the self-confidence to keep going with it once I realized that if I really was a writer, I had to COMMIT to it (yeah, committment-phobic) so I wandered off into drama and astronomy and finally ended up back where I started doing poetry in dribs and drabs (mostly on Fiction Press, until the dearth of meaningful reviews drove me to YWS, where I have lived ever since) and finally beginning to contemplate a half-serious attempt at a novel. Just for fun, you understand. Because really, my muse hates to be tied down. :lol:

Um. So that's my life story. In a nutshell. Or rather, the only part of it that really matters :lol: :wink:
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:02 pm
The Jesseble says...

I wrote my first story when i was about 8 i think. It was about a cheetah who was in love with a lion hahaha!

I finshed my first novel when i was twelve...i've posted some of it before.
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:52 am
Cassandra says...

I started writing outside of school during either the end of fifth grade or the beginning of sixth and really haven't stopped since. It's excruciatingly embarrassing to think back to those stories I wrote at those ages...*shudder*
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:00 am
Elelel says...

I don't think I started, I think I always was. I suppose when I couldn't write I had a bit of trouble. But basically I overcame it with pictures. Then I could write. I'm still finding little books of stapled together paper around the house.

At school I really started. In year one (When I was six) I wrote a long story (about ten pages) that I was so proud of about an alien who went around and did stuff. A year 12 typed it up for me. That's how special it was. But then the teacher wouldn't get my second big story typed up. I'd had my break. Awww ... not special after all. Just the teacher humouring a little kiddie.

I didn't really realise that writing was something I liked doing until I was about eleven. Before that it was just something I did.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:16 am
Sohini says...

I started writing when I was four.
I started with a poem called:
"Donald is 'D'" and it goes like:
"Donald is D,
Parrot is P
One! Two! Three!"
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:41 am
Emma says...

I can't actually remember when I started. When I was little I used to have an amazing imagination. I remember writing small books when I was five or six with pictures on it. I remember writing quite a lot. But I was a bigger fan on drawing little comics.

Ackkk, I remember when I was about 11 I had like 30 comics on these two twins I had made up, Molly and... AKK, forgot the other one.:]

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:15 pm
Shafter says...

I suppose I was about three when I pieced my first story together in my head without the aid of stuffed animals as props. I would walk around my yard, telling myself stories, prompting my grandmother to ask if I was retarded. Heehee! :lol: She wasn't the first (or last) person to think that, actually...
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:50 am
Fireweed says...

Hmm... I wrote a lot when I was a little kid...

I think I began "writing at... 4 or 5 yrs? But that was mainly drawing pictures in crayon and writing a few sentences about them. I think I wrote my first "story" in 1st grade. It was a Halloween story about a girl getting captured by witches and vampires and ghosts.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:35 am
TimeConsume says...

My first story was called "Danny and the Dinosaur" probaly 5th grade. We had just gotten a new computer, and I convinced my 3 older siblings that I had a story due the next day. The plot of the story is that of a Curious George book, still entertaining looking back on it though. :D
"And why does he hang out with those retarted gorillas, as you called them, because any one of them, if he asked them to, would take a bat to your head, okay? It's called loyalty."
-Good Will Hunting.

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:43 pm
Lethero says...

I started writing Dragon Fire at the end of seventh grade. So I was 13 then
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:47 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

I think I must've been about ten when I wrote a short story about talking rainforest animals in the fourth grade. It actually wasn't half bad for a ten year old, and I drew pictures to match and made a cute little book out of it, which I still have by the way.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances.
— Maya Angelou