z

Young Writers Society

Characters anything but average-looking

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 am
Ben10 says...

I actually find at my school there are more people with green eyes than there are brown. But I guess I do see what you mean but sometimes there are people like that and yeah...but sometimes you need a killer hot shot!!!! But yes when evere I write I always have the main character are average.
An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 am
Durriedog says...

Wow, really? That's interesting! And you're right xD
But go Ben! Whoo!

~Durrie :smt023
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:58 pm
lilymoore says...

Writersdomain wrote:Characters do not have to possess remarkable beauty or stunning defining qualities to stand out and, while I would never condemn every character with some defining feature with laziness on the writer's part, it is certainly not necessary. I do not think there is a problem with characters whose appearances stick out; I think the problem is when the character and the character's impact rely on that departure from the other, normal-looking characters.
My main gripe with characters who are gorgeous or extremely distinct physically is when that is the primary way they are distinct.

I’m in complete agreement with WD. Making a character stand out in some way or another but letting them rest on their laurels just because they have violet eyes or something of that nature, is a pain in the butt.
I think, at least on YWS, it’s really common to see this in the fantasy forum and in the science fiction forums. The one thing I can’t stand to see is having a character with a powerful personality that could stand on its own and then having unnecessarily unique physical characteristic. It’s not only a distraction but it’s kind of a turn off.
I don’t like super unique looking characters. Well, at least not super pretty/handsome characters.
One of my favourite characters ever was a super tall, super scrawny red headed stoner in a loin cloth. He wasn’t super pretty or attractive in any way. But he was pretty awesome because he was kind of a dweeb but he rocked.
Okay, I’m rambling now so I’m gonna split.

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice