z

Young Writers Society

Inspiration vs. Rip-Offs

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:59 pm
Merlin34 says...

Where do you draw the line between taking inspiration from a story and just plain ripping it off?
Last edited by Merlin34 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:45 pm
Sureal says...

Plagiarism is where you copy/paste actual sections from someone else's story, and claim you wrote it.
I wrote the above just for you.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 pm
Merlin34 says...

Okay, I changed the title.

As for me, I think that inspiration is taking an idea and putting an original twist on it. Rip-offs would be having a short protagonist named Grodo.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:03 am
GreenGiraffe says...

Do you consider writing a story using characteristics from a different universe ripping off or inspiration?

example: Writing a story that occurs within fanatasia

Example2: Writing a story about Vampires using the same type of vampire as Meyer as in the vampires glitter
Click here to make a clicking sound

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:28 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I think if someone can look at your story and tell you what happens next, or what will be revealed about a character because the plot or characters have been completely ripped off from another story, you haven't been inspired. If the reader can look at your story and draw a few parallels, then you've obviously been inspired but done your best, as well, to put your own twist on the story.
I guess an example would be a cyberpunk futuristic world in which Cinderella ends up joining the army to excape her controlling, half-robotic stepmother.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian