z

Young Writers Society

Character Name Help...

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 pm
Kelcia says...

Now, what I've discovered from several long years as a member of a huge Fanfiction site, names can turn people off. Long, glittery, shiny names will put the more cautious reader on the 'Mary Sue' alert. 'Anna Sophia Krystal,'(Awful I know. But believe me, there are some who would stoop to this.) for example, is just too long and flowery. People will have a hard time believing that anyone has a name that froufrou. Of course, you can make up a name like that if you're writing a comedy, and wish to make fun of the preppy stereotype. But otherwise, try and stay away from the froufrou.

Don't mention a middle name if your character has one, because, honestly, who says their middle name when they are being introduced? Me, I just say "Kelcia Cardon." And don't include my middle name, Marie. Kelcia Cardon is nice and simple, and people can relate to nice and simple names. Kelcia Marie Cardon is just showing off. It adds a bit of lace, d'you see? When being addressed formally, yes the middle name is a good thing, but in casual conversations or introductions, just the first and last will do.

As for names... I find that looking up various baby names and their meanings is helpful.
Here's the website I use: Babynames.com

Hope I've helped some with the name thing. Good luck!

-Kelcia
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:14 am
captain.classy says...

Okay, since I am 16, have brown hair and blue-gray eyes, and my name is Samantha,
how about Samantha? lol

Reviews: 1
Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:23 pm
bbqueen says...

I like Blaire. It seems like a prefect name for 16 year old.
There's something delicious about writing those first few words of a story. Miss Potter

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:11 am
GreenGiraffe says...

I don't see why her name has to be fancy and whatnot, like if she's just an average girl but with flaws, i think good names are

Kate
Annie
Emma
Amy or Amiee
Nadine

hope I helped =]
Click here to make a clicking sound

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein