z

Young Writers Society

drawing maps?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:00 pm
xtenx says...

Okay, so I wrote a novel a while ago, and I've been in the joyfully tedious querying process...

But now I'm kind of concerned about something else.

My novel is fantasy, and near all fantasy novels have a map inside before the story begins. And I think stories SHOULD have maps. I mean, you create an entire world, of course you should lay it out in a map so readers know where things are. It's just how it works.

Problem...I cannot draw for the life of me. Is it bad to not draw your own map? I feel like I should suck it up and try, but I'd really rather just wait until I get an agent and figure out having someone else do it for me :? I think it would be better if I didn't do it myself. If I just supervised the placement of things. But then I think about this, and I feel strange, because it's my world...so I don't know what to do. I'm torn. I've doodled a bit, but nothing good has come from it. I even bought a sketch book thinking it might help inspire me, but I'm still pretty bad.

Same thing with cover art. I feel like I should draw something even if it won't be used. It's MY story. Shouldn't every single part of it, from the front page to the back cover, be mine?
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:05 pm
Trident says...

Actually, if you look at most maps in fantasy books, the authors had someone else draw it for them. I don't think it will be a problem. As for submitting it with your novel, I wouldn't know what to do for that. Perhaps sending a map with a query is presumptious?

Cover art: unless you wish to self publish, this shouldn't be a concern. Most publishers design the cover art for their books.
Perception is everything.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:37 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Maps: If you are going to have a map in your book, chances are practically nil that your publisher or agent will expect it to be one you've drawn yourself. However, you may want to draw a rough map, just so that the person who does eventually draw it will know where everything goes and whatnot. Nothing too detailed, just a rough idea.

Cover art: I agree with Tri, this would be completely pointless, unless you choose the self-publishing route. You may want to do it just at your own leisure, of course, but for any reasons other than that, I wouldn't bother.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:35 pm
xtenx says...

I didn't mean draw it to send with the query, that would be pointless considering no one asks for it...and you should only ever send what you're asked to send. I just meant to have around after I get an agent or something.

I never knew most authors didn't draw their own maps. I guess it's just the stories I read, or it's something I made it up in my mind :?

And the cover, I know most people don't design their own covers, but some do. And I like it when they do, it makes the whole thing their own.

I don't know...maybe I really am just inventing new worries in my mind haha.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 pm
Kelcia says...

In the world I created, there is a complex system of various nations and alliances and treaties, and very important landmarks and towns and things. But the problem was, I could't write them out, because I didn't know where they were. I was lost in my own world. So I, she who can not draw, drew a map. I designed the rivers and how they affected the countryside, I found places for the important scenes of the story, and I realized where the verious nations were, and why the were at war. So I don't use my map as a pretty thing for the inside of my possible book: I use it as a map should be used, as a tool for finding your way.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath