z

Young Writers Society

Motivation Problems

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:06 am
Magic Man says...

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble motivating myself to actually start writing, I have ideas it's just that I am having some trouble JUST GETTING STARTED because starting a new story on a blank page, at the moment just seems very daunting.
It hasn't ever happened before and I know that once I start I'll be fine but I wanted whether anyone else has the same problem and how they over come it.

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:20 am
Jenthura says...

It's called "Writer's Block" and about as common among writers as sneezing, seriously. You get the ideas sometimes, and you want to write them, but the white page and the little blinking black line just totally makes your muse die. I've had it before, and often the only solution for it is: Stop Writing.
Sometimes called habituation, writer's block is when your mind is overfilled or tired or just plain not working. Take a walk, listen to some relaxing music, swim, jog, (don't ead), eat, anything that relaxes you and frees your mind from your writing. After a while it'll come back to you.
Hope I helped! ^^
-ж-Ж-ж-

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:51 pm
smorgishborg says...

Take a walk around town, hang out with a couple friends, eat, drink, sleep, go to school, and start writing again when you have something organic to write about.

You really can't force writing.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:56 pm
Jetpack says...

listen to some relaxing music

Or some new music. I find that helps; doing anything a little out of the ordinary can give you a bit of motivation to write. I've struggled a bit with block and don't write as often as I'd like, but I got a few new songs the other day and Oasis has somehow inspired me to write. Try it, but not necessarily with Oasis. ;)

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Writersdomain says...

Writer's block is nasty. I sympathize. :wink: In addition to some of the grand suggestions here, read a good book. Either something you have already read and love or something new entirely. Immersing yourself in a different world for a while is helpful. And if you start getting fragments of ideas, just open up a Word document and start writing whatever comes to mind, cohesive or not. Then, when you're brimming with motivation, you have your tiny diamonds of thought ready to be worked with. :wink:

And remember, even when you do embark on that first page of your story, it doesn't have to be an immediate example of your very best writing. That's what 'editing' is for.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:06 pm
Rosendorn says...

Sometimes, I need to stop for months. The advice given above is fantastic. Listen to it.

What I suggest is to stop writing until an idea keeps you up at night. Then your muse is knocking and you'll (hopefully) find words when looking at that page.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 4
Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:15 am
Ross Sharpay says...

I stopped writing for six months once. And when I started again, my current novel-in-progress and a short story that's hit 5,000 words sprung out.

Love it or hate it, you always start writing in the end. My advice is to occupy yourself with other activities other than writing. This could be the time to call up your friends, go out for dinner. But always bring a notebook with you. Just in case.

Also, when you've hit writer's block, try a couple of times to shatter it with mental focus. If not, you need to take a step back and put it aside. Maybe work on other projects.

All in all, writer's block can help you in the end.
I speak the language of gay-supporting writing whales.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:15 am
Krupp says...

It's been more than a year since I've finished a novel. I've quit tons since my last one. But ifyou're having trouble writing, try to write a short poem or two; that often can alleviate the writer's block to a degree. And if that doesn't do it, then just write down your thoughts on the day, on your mood, or whatever you feel is necessary to write about. And if that still fails then go out and have an adventure. Go do something insane (Something that's legal, anyway, or not stupid) or try a new experience you never would've seen yourself doing a year before. These things will help, trust me. It's worked for me thus far.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:16 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I had a similar experience to Ross Sharpay. And though some might suggest writing through it; when I tried that nothing came out but utter garbage.

Then one day I just woke up and thought "Gee, today would be a good day to start getting my writing act together."
The best way to counter what you mentioned is enthusiasm, I think. If you have to drag yourself to the computer and upchuck something on the screen, and then have the post-terrible story blues and write nothing for a week, you're not doing yourself any great favors.
Another suggestion: nanowrimo's coming up soon, and if you join you'll have a built-in support group and the idea might get you psyched up enough to start writing. Even if you don't "win," it's still a great experience.
I know that scriptfrenzy was what segued me into writing and I wish you good luck, whatever you do.
http://www.nanowrimo.org/
In case your interested, National Novel Writing Month starts this November. Fifty-thousand words in thirty days. Check it out.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:58 am
Hippie says...

It may help to stop writing for a while, but the fact is: if you want to be a writer as a career, you can't afford to stop writing at a whim.

In fact the best way to overcome writers block is to write. Once your momentum is going you'll be fine. Take a look at this.

It's a pretty quick and limited blog on freewriting. There's other stuff out there if you google it. It also just so happens I'm doing an article on freewriting in my soon-to-be-released e-zine. Click the link in my signature for more details.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:58 pm
Young gun says...

The possible reasons for not writing could be many:

Your thinking too much.Too much effort to make the writing perfect results in poor work or no work at all.The question you really need to ask yourself is-Do I really need to write all the time.

Another reason for not being able to write is your subconscious fear of not being able to complete everything in one sitting.That's something you might really have to get over own your own.

You might also have too many ideas because of which you are unable to finalise what to write on.So come down to one particular thought which is very clear.

That's about all I have for a possible explanation.

Good luck.
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx