z

Young Writers Society

my writing needs more creativity

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:48 pm
JordanEmert says...

hello my name is Jordan and I'm a beginner at this. I really want to become a writer so this is why I started doing this online writing, so I can get better by having experience, and reading other peoples writing so I can get different ideas, the only thing is that I cannot make my writing vivid like all the people on here use vivid adjectives they do depressed instead.

help me? Please

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 am
Sam says...

Hey, Jordan! Welcome to YWS. ^_^

The simplest thing you can do is read. The best writers are readers--read good stuff and not-so-good stuff, but decide what you think and soak up tips like a sponge. If you tell me what sorts of books you like, I can give you some recommendations.

The other important thing to do is to critique. Even if you're not fully confident in your writing abilities (who is?) you can still look at another person's piece, and decide what you think would make it better. Also, reading a variety of writers and critiquing them will help you when you look at all sorts of literature, and being able to analyze things means being able to write things the way you want them to sound.

It sounds pretty basic, but read, read, read!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 pm
patience_isnt says...

Well, first of all, you can't ask to be creative. Everyone is, and it shows in different ways. But writing better, that's an easy one. Read. I know, I know, you've heard it before. But if you read tons of different authors and genres, you'll pick up something.

And besides, there's nothing wrong with depressed writing. My last short story I wrote was about a girl who got trampleded to death. I'm not even joking, but the idea came to me before I fell asleep, and it actually turned out not to be so bad.

But it's a good thing you came here, because you can review tons of people's works and get good ideas for stories of your own.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! What are you girls doing?"

"Peeing on a stick, you wanna try?"

-My C, Nick, and MC, Kayla.

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson