z

Young Writers Society

I'm not sure how...

Reviews: 4
Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:44 am
where_are_my_shoes says...

I love the idea of writing a novel, making up my own little fantasy world where anything can happen.
But how does a person go about doing this?!
I don't really know how I'm supposed to organise everything, and if I'm not organised then I doubt anything good will just magically come together.
Know any good methods I could use?

Thanks in advance friends :D

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:46 am
Meep says...

I'd recommend The Snowflake Method. If you can get it done in the next few weeks, you'll have a solid outline for NaNoWriMo. :D
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:34 pm
Myth says...

I usually make my fantasy worlds as real as possible to the world around me, it is a lot easier and along the way I change how things look or how a society is run.

You could write down the things you'd like to happen in that world and what doesn't: is magic forbidden or perhaps there are only a handful of supernatural beings around?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:07 pm
Leja says...

I like drawing maps! Then, at least, you know where everything is in relation to everything else. In general, it's good if the rule holds true that every action has a reaction. Hence, in fantasy stories, magic is prevalent, but not without consequences. For example, if a character uses an obscene amount of magic, he might get sick. If someone steals something they're not supposed to, there will be a consequence. Maybe they'll end up cursed, or something. Here's a link to a collection of world-building articles and activities that you might find useful.

Happy world-building! :D

Reviews: 4
Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:45 am
EERC says...

It's great that you have this goal... I don't know much about how to but I'll tell you what I usually do to keep everything at hand:

-I make profiles for the characters and the places.
-I make a list of everything I have made so far (deaths, characters, places)
-And I write a little summary of what happens in the story arcs just to make sure what I'm writing is relevant to the development of the plot.
Proud Venezuelan.
Harry Potter, Avatar, Death Note, The Legend of Zelda and Sweeney Todd fan.
"There are two infinite things: The Universe and human stupidity"- Albert Einstein

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:01 pm
seshat77 says...

Meep wrote:I'd recommend The Snowflake Method. If you can get it done in the next few weeks, you'll have a solid outline for NaNoWriMo. :D

Wow, that site is pure genious. Beginning novels has always been absolutely frightening for me, I'll second that recommendation!

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March