z

Young Writers Society

Actually Getting it Written

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:19 am
Twitch111 says...

Hello everyone,

This is the main reason why I haven't been on here in what seems like forever. My main problem in writing is having the ideas flying through my head, building nearly to perfection, but then I can never seem to be able to capture it and make myself write it down. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if someone out there has an idea to perhaps lead to the solving of this dilemma.

-Twitch111

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:03 am
Teague says...

Yep. Absolutely.

My problem is more or less that I get bored easily. So what I do, to keep myself on my toes, is write the major events first. That way, I have at least three or four different pieces I can work from. I usually bounce around from one to another, and I keep expanding and expanding on them until I can manage to link them together. It keeps things fresh and snappy and keeps things from getting boring.

But that's just me. Everybody finds different things that work for them. Experiment a wee bit.

The most important thing, really, is to force yourself into it. Remind yourself that the writing process begins after the first draft is down on paper. Your work will be crap the first time around. That's okay. At least your ideas are coherent. At least you have something to work from.

Simply put, kick yourself in the rear and just do it! :D

-St. Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:09 am
Twitch111 says...

Fantastic! Thanks fo the reply, I will try it out. If anyone else has more ideas, the more the merrier, and the more likely I will find something that works.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:06 am
Phindin says...

The key for me is to just sit down and do it. Even if I don't feel like it.

It takes just a few minutes for me to get into gear after I'm forced myself to sit down and write. Then I start enjoying the process, and before I know it, I've written a page or two.

Of course, it doesn't work every time. And I dunno if it'd work for you, either. >>
"Buy, buy, buy, buy; sell, sell, sell
How well you've learned to not discern;
Who's foe and who is friend,
We'll own them all in the end."

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

You don't have to write chronilogically. The second a thought flies through your head, whether its in the beginning or the middle or the end, write it down. It'll keep you interested. Like putting together a puzzle, you'll figure everything out as you go along, and it'll keep you on your toes wondering what's going to happen next.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:18 am
Sam says...

Make sure you keep yourself busy- and make sure you're absolutely devoted to what you're writing. I've always had a big, scary novel looming over me, just to make sure I had something to work on at all times. It helps (for me, at least) to have more than one thing to focus on in case the going gets tough.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)