z

Young Writers Society

What exactly does contemporary mean?

Reviews: 3
Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:53 am
Kizzi says...

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but anyway my title says it all.

What exactly is contemporary fiction???

I understand it means modern day, but what qualifies as modern day, fives years ago, the year 2007... I'm just confused about what makes a story contemporary. Can a modern day fantasy be contemporary... what is contemporary?
Last edited by Kizzi on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Kizzi~

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:24 am
Misty says...

Meh, I'll take a stab at it. The thing is that it's hard to define. (And I'm no use at these things, so don't quote my guess). If it's contemporary, then it's modern. It probably references cutting-edge bands. It doesn't have to talk about an iPod, but there might be a CD player (*oh that was a horrible analogy, but you catch my point*). I personally write literary fiction. That is to say, character-driven, voice-driven prose-like whatsits. My literary fiction happens to be contemporary, because it's not, say, set in the year 1892, or 1956. If it's in the last two decades, and makes recognizable references, you can probably assume it's contemporary. Kapish?

also, welcome! And excuse my bad italian.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:26 am
Kizzi says...

Misty wrote:Meh, I'll take a stab at it. The thing is that it's hard to define. (And I'm no use at these things, so don't quote my guess). If it's contemporary, then it's modern. It probably references cutting-edge bands. It doesn't have to talk about an iPod, but there might be a CD player (*oh that was a horrible analogy, but you catch my point*). I personally write literary fiction. That is to say, character-driven, voice-driven prose-like whatsits. My literary fiction happens to be contemporary, because it's not, say, set in the year 1892, or 1956. If it's in the last two decades, and makes recognizable references, you can probably assume it's contemporary. Kapish?

also, welcome! And excuse my bad italian.

That clears it up somewhat, thanks!!!
~ Kizzi~

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:24 pm
Kizzi says...

Does anyone else have a take on what contemporary writing is??
Last edited by Kizzi on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Kizzi~

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:35 pm
GingerLizzy says...

I'll take a guess at this.. I think it's stuff like.. Easy listening and stuff and classical.. Although I'm not quite sure.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 pm
GingerLizzy says...

But then contempory writing..

I think that's like.. I dunno... I think of posh writing.. Like Dickens and stuff?

Dear me.. I don't know
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:15 am
Meep says...

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary wrote:2b: marked by characteristics of the present period

So, to answer your question, I think a fantasy novel set in the present could be considered contemporary. (If I had to guess, I think Holly Black's Tithe could be considered contemporary fantasy.)

I found articles on contemporary literature and contemporary fantasy, if they help.

(Also, please edit your posts instead of double-posting (ie: posting right after yourself). Thank you!)
βœ– I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:49 am
Emerson says...

I'm not sure. My AP lit teacher uses "contemporary" to talk about Steinbeck and Fitzgerald and I get confused D= I actually meant to ask him about this.

I'm moving this to Fiction Discussion, because this fits there much better!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:59 pm
Kizzi says...

GingerLizzy wrote:I'll take a guess at this.. I think it's stuff like.. Easy listening and stuff and classical.. Although I'm not quite sure.

Haha, opps sorry!! I asked for music... and I have no idea why... I'm spacey like that I guess...

Anyway thanks for the move, I just didn't know where to put this question, and thanks for all your comments!!
~ Kizzi~

This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes