z

Young Writers Society

Do you ever feel...?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:15 am
duckie says...

Do you ever feel like you just can't stand a book/movie/game because there is at least one amazing character, and you are frustrated by how you can only know so much about them?

I was thinking about why I liked writing, when I realized that it's not so much the writing that I like, it's being able to delve into someone else's mind and know what they think/feel/do. I get really annoyed with books that have wonderful characters, because all I know about the character is what is written. That's it. You can't know everything about them. You want to spend hours pondering on this one character, but you can't because you've already thought about everything there is to think about them.

I hope this makes sense to you... Haha. Enjoy my thoughts. :}

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:38 am
Meep says...

That's what fanfiction is for. Fanfiction is a great way to explore a character in more depth than the original work does. (My friend has written loads of Potterfic centering on Regulus Black, because we have so little information on him.)

I, too, really enjoy character creating. I like it more than any other aspect of writing.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:08 pm
Twit says...

Ooh! Fanfiction!!! YAY!!!!

*ahem* I get your thread, Duckie. I like clearing up little points that aren't explained in the original book/film in my fanfic stories.

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:16 pm
xtenx says...

I definitely know what you mean. You just want to answer all the questions floating around in your mind, but you can't for sure.

But, as frustrating as it is, it's a good thing. If you knew everything about a character, what would you think about? It would almost be dull with no questions.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I totally understand.
Ender's Game is the most obvious example, for me. Next on the list are Rokuta and Shoryuu from Juuni Kokki.

Fanfiction is fun...when not extremely dirty, as some people like it.
ohmeohmy

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:02 am
snap says...

Even better, I think, is to get caught up in your own characters, and their lives. I honestly think that's why I write; because, when I'm writing, I'm not....me, anymore, I'm my character, and can live their life through their eyes.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon