z

Young Writers Society

writing dialogue

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:24 am
Max McKali says...

How much dialogue should a writer use, in your opinion? I tend to use a lot of dialogue, even my non-bookworm friends have noticed. When writing dialogue, how should it be arranged paragraph-wise? I just wing it, but I'm never sure exactly what to do with it.
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:43 am
Cassandra says...

For dialouge--always start a new paragraph when a different person begins to speak is the rule, I believe. One of you grammar Nazis around here, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I tend to use more dialouge, but that's because I, personally, can't stand a plethora of description. When I'm reading novels, sometimes, if I'm getting bored, I'll skip straight ahead to the dialouge. So I tend to have more of it in my own writing!

Hope I helped! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:48 am
Max McKali says...

yay, i thought i was the only one. i tend to skip ahead as well...then i get really confused and have to go back. gracias.
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:50 am
Cassandra says...

Max McKali wrote:i tend to skip ahead as well...then i get really confused and have to go back.

Ditto. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:03 am
Emerson says...

hee I'm following your posts, Cass!

I think she covered the format of Dialogue.

I think it should be used in proportion. I forget was the actual 'proportion' of dialogue to the rest of your writing. It should be about 6 parts dialog to 4 parts everything else, I think. And even there it depends on the story. Dialog is a good way to get rid of Info dumps, and it (if done right) brings life to your characters and depends them. But don't over use it, because sometimes dialog gets really boring. You have to know that if you're writing reflection dialogue, or dialog that repeats itself its boring. Example:

"Hi marry!"
"Oh, hi jen! Are you going to the dance?"
"Huh, what dance?"
"oh, you know, the school one."
"Oh yeah! I forgot the school was having a dance. I'm not sure I'm going."

Yeah, this is a real conversation someone might have, but its boring in fiction. instead, try something like this:

"Hi marry,"
"Hey, you going to the dance?"
"Oh, I'm not sure I'm going..."

I know it sounds like it should be obvious but some people don't always recognize it.

Remember that everything you write has to push something of your story forward :-D no sitting ducks!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:46 pm
lexy says...

I suppose you just have to make it clear which character is talking by making sure that you start a new line etc which is a bit obvious. I confuse my readers by writing my dialogue in blocks and not having any movement inbetween....... So yeah, I've learnt to space it out and define who's talking..........
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes