z

Young Writers Society

Is It Wrong?

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:54 am
Livinginfantasy says...

Do you know how long it takes me to write a poem? No?! Let me give you a hint:

Longer than a minute; shorter than half an hour.

Well, that's the time frame. Whenever I write poetry, I literally do it in one sitting in a matter of minutes. No matter how long or short. And I feel like I'm cheating. I know there's got to be at least some people who spend countless weeks on a single poem. And poetry is an art form; why rush?

I do it anyway!

So, I ask you... is it wrong?

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:02 pm
Galerius says...

most of my poems which have won awards, i made in a short time of some random inspiration. no kidding. :shock:
Last edited by Galerius on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:33 pm
xGraceex says...

Im still new at writing poems and it only takes me ten minutes! no i dont think your cheating, you must have a real knack for it, thats all :D
SOME WISE WORDS xxx
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:34 am
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

The time it takes to write a poem doesn't really mean anything. Some people scratch their chin for a minute before writing the next line, then wind up erasing it anyways. Some just say "Ooo! I got it!" and grab a pencil and start jotting down lines as fast as they can, and edit extensively afterwards.

Whatever works, works. Thoughts sometimes flicker through my mind barely slow enough for me to get it down, sometimes they tickle the back of my mind for hours, tantalizingly close to consciousness, and I have to slowly coax them onto the paper. And sometimes it just flows without any inhibitions at all, and I barely even have to think about what I'm writing, until it's done and i go "Holy $%@#, did I really just write this?" But that's very rare. Unfortunately, I usually have to work to get the ideas, thoughts, emotions, etc. on paper in congruence with some structure.
Am I a one eyed hunter of unicorns or a hunter of one eyed unicorns? The world may never know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:36 pm
CrazyBob says...

I agree, some people are quicker than others, but not Seamus Heaney could produce a good, finished poem in less than half an hour. That's ridiculous. It's one thing to freewrite and then expand upon it later, but a complete poem being written in that short amount of time will be rubbish. I don't care how many awards it wins you, a rubbish poem is easily identifiable and a rushed poem even moreso. Don't do injustice to art; if you're serious about it, you need to put a bit more work in than that.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 pm
errtu2 says...

I usually write when the spirit moves me. this could take an hour or as long as it takes to type the words flashing in front of my head. Usually the later, if the poem is good or meant to be a simple flash I leave it, but if I want more out of it I let it sit for a while and then edit it. But I'll try all kinds of composition
Those who control their passions do so because their passions are weak enough to be controlled.
- William Blake
Lord, grant me chastity and continence... but not yet.
St. Augustine
When all else fails, we can whip the horses eyes

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:56 am
wewinwelose says...

lol i dont have the attention span for a poem that takes me more than 20 minutes....:P
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.~Groucho Marx

I have a passion for all things literary, and I love to review the work of others :). PM me with a link and I'd love to review for you too!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:17 am
Face Engine says...

It tends to take me anything from ten minutes to half an hour (maybe a little bit longer) to write a poem, but then I go over it a couple of times, and my tendency to type so fast that every other word is misspelt adds an extra twenty or so minutes to the overall time it takes me to write a poem. I'd say just write for however long you feel like writing for-when it feel "right", it probably is right.
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 pm
WaterVyper says...

I usually just write a couple of lines in a few minutes, leave it, then get back to it later for a couple of minutes again. That technique works very well for me, though with others, it might not be as effective. All in all, it might take me about half an hour to an hour to complete one poem.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 pm
Emerson says...

I think everyone's chosen time for writing, length-wise, won't be the same. One thing I can say is that you need to spend as much time as possible on it to make it perfect. If that's 30 minutes, or five days, so be it. I go through several drafts of poems, although usually in a day or two. Only occasionally will I put a poem away and bring it back out in a few days.

I don't think it is wrong at all, especially if it works for you!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:52 pm
scribblingquill says...

generally I type my poems straight away. If i have the window open then I can spend hours flitting in and out of it adding things in or taking away. Though I do generally write them all in one sitting, I edit a lot straight after I've written it. However this has only been the way I write recently, I used to do it differently so...
Is this bass REALLY strong enough?

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 pm
Young gun says...

Time really does not matter while writing the poem.All that matters is the amount of focus you have while writing your work.
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:50 pm
Kamas says...

As soon as inspiration strikes it takes me a matter of minutes to get it all written down
No matter what time it is (usually at one am xD) but then in the morning I look it over to see if it's worth posting
If not I'll trash it or put it aside. The longest part is the waiting for inspiration to hit.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:32 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

If you got an idea and it takes you two minutes to write it down, then let it be. I've sat in lessons and written poems whilst wating for the teacher to start talking already- if the idea hits you, it hits you. Inspiration doens't stick to a schedale.

(:
Four kinds of people I hate most in life.
1. People who use a preposition to end a sentence with.
2. People who can't count.
3. People who think it's 'clever' to quote ironic phrases.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:22 am
emilyleigh says...

I don't think that timing really matters, each person works at their own pace. But I think for most people they wrote their best poems fairly quick and out of nowhere, because it's usually at random moments where one finds inspiration, and the emotion flows heavier at that time, rather than later when trying to keep that same emotion for weeks and effectively showing it in poetry.

Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica