Young Writers Society

NaPo Thread Theme Brainstorming

465 Reviews

Reviews: 465
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 am
View Likes
starlitmind says...

Napo Thread Theme Brainstorming

Are you planning to have a theme for your NaPo Thread this year? Are you having trouble narrowing down ideas, or do you completely lack inspiration? This space, then, is the perfect place for you! ^_^

This is a spot where you can brainstorm plans or anything related to your Napo Thread! You can list out all the themes you are contemplating and perhaps ask others for input. You can explain your outlook for April and how you came up with your theme you've decided to stick with. Or you can look in this thread or last year's NaPo to draw inspiration from. Feel free to use this space in whatever way you'd like and brainstorm all you want!!! You can also use this thread to test out thread aesthetics :)

Note: If you want comments / feedback on your ideas, be sure to explicitly say and note so! And of course, your NaPo Poetry Thread does not have to have a theme! There are no rules when it comes to poetry :)

.--. --- - .- - ---

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:02 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Claiming a spot!

Test title:

Dream Jars (and other storied places)

Photo by shalender kumar from Pexels

Index

^ My idea for this is to focus a lot on physical space as an indirect expression of conceptual space or emotional space. So it'll broadly speaking have poems about dream-like and slightly fantastical visions of nature, but also sometimes artificial places, that portray a complex of moods and implied information. I want to write poems you can sink yourself in, basically. c:
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:05 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Brainstorming Thread Titles
My approach to coming up with a thread name is basically to word-vomit poetic sounding phrases until I find something I like, and that I think I can actually make something meaningful out of. (This doesn't always work super well with my tendency to be extremely indecisive, because then I'll have a list of like 5 titles that I like equally and reach a total stalemate, so, whoops.) I do have a broad idea of what I want -> I want my thread to center on not really knowing yourself and being okay with that/ still being able to love and value who you are even when you don't know exactly who you are or what your place is/ lost is not inherently a bad place to be. If over the course of thirty poems I stray from that a bit though, so be it. With that said, let the word-vomiting commence~ and if you have any input, feel free to share! I'm always glad to have a second set of eyes.

Potential Thread Names
  • somewhere, lodged in my ribcage
  • folded in under the horizon
  • my shadow is ironed and in with the linens
  • the hidden half of a full circle
  • full 360°: skidding on thoughts
  • a prism of little white lies
  • deepfried and halfbaked
  • on being raw cookie dough

^ You'll notice none of these titles are remotely related to water - I'm trying to stretch myself to focus on non-water-related imagery this NaPo, as well @_@

^ Some of these titles have slightly more positive vibes, whereas others have more negative vibes, but regardless I'm planning on exploring both ends of the vibe spectrum as much as possible. Like "folded in under the horizon" or "the hidden half of a full circle" or "somewhere lodged in my ribcage" feel more hopeful to me, whereas shadows and white lies and skidding feel more sombre/ angsty. I'm not really sure which type of title I'm leaning to at this point.

Aesthetic test
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:07 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Liminality - I love how much this year's theme will contrast with last year's theme for you - I think that definitely shows your versatility as a poet. And worlds contained in jars of poetry is definitely a beautiful intriguing image, I'm so excited to see where it will go! :3

@Seirre - Oh you've got such a variety here!! Exciting ! Also I think some of your poetic aims for the thread being one to stretch you both in imagery and thematically is really commendable. Personally I love both "somewhere, lodged in my ribcage" (so mysterious + broad for options) & "folded in under the horizon". I see some sort of domestic / cooking / laundry (dare I say... potential for dishwasher poetry?) poetry vibes in some of your titles and I like how "folded in under the horizon" could be like a cozy blanket of a horizon, or it could be folding laundry, or just the beauty of outdoors, or the horizon as unlimited potential etc. Ah! even if you don't use some of these as thread names they each definitely have potential for being turned into poems in themselves. :)

~~~~

I was looking through an old list I made of napo thread name options and I might add more of them here in a bit but one made me laugh it was just "untitled" <.< which seems a tad trollish. might add some more of my past random ideas here later for fun xD
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug