z

Young Writers Society

Maths Problems

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 pm
Kiwisatsuma says...

So, I have this maths homework, and I get most of it but I'm totally stuck on a few. If anyone could give me a few hints I would be very grateful. :)

You have 11 large boxes, each of which is either empty or contains 8 small boxes. Likewise each of these small boxes is either empty or contains 8 even smaller empty boxes. If there are 102 empty boxes in all, how many boxes do you have altogether?

Yeah, I'm completely befuzzled on this one.

In a 2-lap race I complete the first lap at a speed of 10m/s and the second lap at a speed of 20 m/s. What's my average speed for the whole race?

This is probably one of those questions which if totally obvious if you just know the trick, but... I can't figure out the trick.

Edit: I figured this one out by trying different distances. It was indeed extremely obvious. :D

Show that the product of 3 consecutive numbers is a multiple of six.

I thought for this one you did n + (n+1) + (n+2) = 3n+3 which has to be a multiple of six, but then I realised that that was adding instead of multiplying, and if I try to do it with algebra when multiplying I get n(n+1)(n+2) which gave me n(cubed) + 3n(squared) +3n, which is obviously a multiple of 3, but not always of 6. So, I'm quite confused.

Five football players are preparing for a penalty shoot-out. If the probability of each one scoring is 0.6 what is the probability that three out of the five players score?

I tried to do a tree diagram for this one but it got really squished up and impossible to read, and I can't figure out any other way to do it..

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 pm
Kale says...

I had a nice long explanatory post, but IE ate it. *grumbles* I don't have time to tackle the first problem right now, but I can help with the last two (sans explanation).

---

You expanded wrong. It may be easier to multiply (n^2 * n)(n +2).

---

1 player = 60% probability of scoring

Since everyone has an equal probability of scoring, the total probability of the team scoring is 60%.

And so the formula would be 0.6(1/5) + 0.6(1/5) + 0.6(1/5) or 0.6*(3/5).

And here's a tree diagram:
tree.jpg
tree.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Red = possible scores
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:16 pm
View Likes
Kiwisatsuma says...

Internet explorer :smt011 Clearly it has malicious intentions. Thankyou so much though! :)

That makes a lot of sense with the probability one. I think I'd been trying to work it out for if three people scored five times or something..

Why is it (n^2 * n)? Wouldn't it be (n^2 + n) if this comes from n(n+1)? But anyway, I'll try expanding it again.

Thanks again! :D

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:33 am
Kale says...

It's (n^2 * n) because I typoed and hit * instead of +.

As for the first question, the easiest way to solve it is to work backwards.

Assume that at least one Large box is completely filled, and that all 8 of its Smaller boxes are filled as well. You wind up with 64 empty Smallest boxes.

102 - 64 = 38

Since the Smaller boxes only come in multiples of 8, find the closest multiple of 8 to 38; in this case, it's 32. 32/8 = 4, which is also equal to the number of Large full boxes that contain the 32 empty Smaller boxes.

Tally: 5 Large (full), 32 Smaller (empty), 64 Smallest (empty)

38 - 32 = 6, which is the number of Large empty boxes. As you can see, this matches up to the 11 total Large boxes we're given in the problem (5 + 6 = 11).

And now it's just a matter of tallying up the boxes.

11 + 5(8) + 8(8), or 11 Large + (5 full Large * 8 Smaller) + (8 full Smaller * 8 Smallest).
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year