Username or E-mail:
Forget your password?
Young Writers Society
Algebra 2 polynomial word problem
Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:23 pm
Terry invests $1500 in two mutual funds. The first year, one fund grows 3.8 percent and the other grows 6 percent. Write a polynomial to represent the amount Terry's $1500 grows to in that year if X represents the amount he invested in the fund with the lesser growth rate.
Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:45 pm
It's probably too late to help you with this particular problem, but I can give you tips on how to parse word problems in general!
It's always a good idea to break down the information as much as possible and assign any needed variables. For example, we're told that:
1) $1500 is split into two funds
2a) one fund grows by 3.8%
2b) we're told to set this to X, since it has the smaller growth rate
3) the other fund grows by 6%
We know from basic math that:
1) the fund at 6% has to be the difference between the original amount and X, or 1500 - X
2) when you have a percent increase, it's basically 100% of the original PLUS the increase, or 100% + 3.8% = 103.8% increase for X
3) percentages can be represented as decimals, so 1 + 0.038 = 1.038
4) percent increases MULTIPLIED BY the original amount get you the final amount, or X(1 + 0.038)
Putting it all together, we get:
X(1 + 0.038) + (1500 - X)(1 + 0.06) = Total Growth
Now, this only works if we're looking at just one year. Since the problem doesn't specify how many years it takes, we have to modify things a little.
You should have an idea of which form gets you the appropriate answer, so it's just a matter of taking the pieces and fitting them into that form. :)
(Hint: this problem deals with interest, so it's one of the interest formulas.)
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.
— Bartimaeus of Uruk
Copyright © 2018
Young Writers Society
All your bananas belong to me.
YWS logo created by Jordan Bobo
Header images ©
About / Info
Become a Supporter
Hosting by YWS
Forums & RPG
Cover Art Creator
Poetic Lines Gen
Story Theme Gen
108,019 Literary Works • 575,194 Reviews